General Admissions & OTCAS My chances for Texas Woman's University and in general?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shine525

Reaction score
University: University of Texas at Austin
Major: Biology
Minors: Japanese
Overall GPA: 3.65
Last 60 hours GPA: 3.5 (not including the prereqs, which were taken after graduation and is 4.0)
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: did not take
Work Experience: Teaching and tutoring (nothing OT or healthcare related). Currently infant teacher at daycare.
Observation hours: only 33 hours at an outpatient peds in March. Haven't been able to shadow since.
Extra-Curricular: Officer of pre-med org for 1 year, again nothing OT related.
Rec Letters: 1 from OT and 2 from community college professors where I took my prereqs.

TWU has waived the GRE this cycle, but it seems that most have still taken it. I am worried this will put me at a disadvantage despite the waiver.
Also, I haven't been able to get anymore shadowing since March, and I don't think I will be able to even if COVID settles down, since I have started a full time job. I only realized I wanted to pursue OT in January of this year, so I didn't have much time.
I have only applied to TWU and Tech.

I originally felt okay because I had still met the new COVID-19 admissions minimum requirements, but it seems that many people have still taken the GRE and gotten numerous shadowing hours, which admissions would definitely strongly favor...

Edit: Accepted to TTUHSC

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Last 60 hours GPA: 3.5 (not including the prereqs, which were taken after graduation and is 4.0)
Work Experience: Teaching and tutoring (nothing OT or healthcare related). Currently infant teacher at daycare.
Observation hours: only 33 hours at an outpatient peds in March. Haven't been able to shadow since.
Rec Letters: 1 from OT and 2 from community college professors where I took my prereqs.

TWU has waived the GRE this cycle, but it seems that most have still taken it. I am worried this will put me at a disadvantage despite the waiver.
Also, I haven't been able to get anymore shadowing since March, and I don't think I will be able to even if COVID settles down, since I have started a full time job. I only realized I wanted to pursue OT in January of this year, so I didn't have much time.

I originally felt okay because I had still met the new COVID-19 admissions minimum requirements, but it seems that many people have still taken the GRE and gotten numerous shadowing hours, which admissions would definitely strongly favor...

Hey! I just graduated from UT Austin and I'm currently at TWU. I can't really speak to the admissions process, especially now with COVID, but I think you still have a great chance because of your GPA/pre-req GPA. When I applied, my GRE was definitely below average and my GPA was around where yours is at. I also know some people in the program that had the minimum observation hours and still got in, so as long as you are able to tie in your observation hours to your application, then I'm sure you will be fine! All of these schools know how COVID has drastically impacted applications and will have to take everything into account :)

Hey! I just graduated from UT Austin and I'm currently at TWU. I can't really speak to the admissions process, especially now with COVID, but I think you still have a great chance because of your GPA/pre-req GPA. When I applied, my GRE was definitely below average and my GPA was around where yours is at. I also know some people in the program that had the minimum observation hours and still got in, so as long as you are able to tie in your observation hours to your application, then I'm sure you will be fine! All of these schools know how COVID has drastically impacted applications and will have to take everything into account :)

Hi, thank you for your response! That's cool to hear that some got in with minimum hours even before COVID. I think I was able to show that I had a meaningful shadowing experience in my PS despite the limited hours, so I'm hoping for the best! I was just reading through posts here and realized how competitive everyone's stats are and became really intimidated :( Are you enjoying the program at TWU?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, thank you for your response! That's cool to hear that some got in with minimum hours even before COVID. I think I was able to show that I had a meaningful shadowing experience in my PS despite the limited hours, so I'm hoping for the best! I was just reading through posts here and realized how competitive everyone's stats are and became really intimidated :( Are you enjoying the program at TWU?
Have you heard back from Tech?

Do you mind sharing your stats?? I applied the day OTCAS opened and I have yet to hear from them. Kinda frustrating...

I am OP, so my stats are at the top of this thread! Have you sent any followup/letter of interest emails?

Members don't see this ad :)

Edit: Accepted to TTUHSC
Hello I am in a similar boat this cycle with covid impacting hours. Did Tech not require 40 hours??

Hello I am in a similar boat this cycle with covid impacting hours. Did Tech not require 40 hours??
they did not require it at the time you applied but you had to have them done before classes started

Reactions: 1 user
I was able to apply and interview without all the hours, but you have to reach all 40 hours before the first semester starts!

Reactions: 1 users
I am a first-time applicant to OT. Have applied to MD recently. While I have almost all the pre-req, the main thing I am missing is OT LOR which seems to be an integral component. Although, I have over 200+ hours shadowing and volunteering in various areas mainly medical, with only 50 of those hours being OT (from years ago). I decided to apply to OT this year, with a delayed start due to life events/covid. I know I am applying late into the cycle. I am applying to most of the Texas OT programs, does anyone know if we can complete more OT hours after applying? I will also not have a LOR from OT, but instead from two physicians and a previous employer. I am currently in the process of applying for volunteering for OT (mainly bc I need an LOR) but having a hard time because, of course, COVID. Any advice will help!

Hello, I completed all in OTCAS except for the 20+ shadowing hours and I have 2 LOR. However, I found I was one class (Abnormal Psych) short, and have to take it in the Spring of 2022 which puts me in the 2023 class if accepted. TWU is where I'm wanting to go since I received my MBA there. They are thinking about requiring the GRE again for 2022. I hope not. I took the HESI exam for another program and I do not want to take the GRE. The LOR I received won't roll over to next year so I have to redo and add more. The OTR Coordinator, Karen, told me to try different areas of OT not just SNF. It's hard to get into the schools and peds with OTs because of Covid. In the interim, I'm thinking about pursuing Adult Cardiac Sonography until I can get into the OTR program. Keeping my options open over here in Dallas.

I am a first-time applicant to OT. Have applied to MD recently. While I have almost all the pre-req, the main thing I am missing is OT LOR which seems to be an integral component. Although, I have over 200+ hours shadowing and volunteering in various areas mainly medical, with only 50 of those hours being OT (from years ago). I decided to apply to OT this year, with a delayed start due to life events/covid. I know I am applying late into the cycle. I am applying to most of the Texas OT programs, does anyone know if we can complete more OT hours after applying? I will also not have a LOR from OT, but instead from two physicians and a previous employer. I am currently in the process of applying for volunteering for OT (mainly bc I need an LOR) but having a hard time because, of course, COVID. Any advice will help!
Hi, for TWU admissions to the OTR program, we have to have 20+ hours of Shadowing an OTR within the year of application by Oct 1. I shadowed this year but these hours will not count for next year so I have to redo my shadowing hours. This is for TWU so I can't speak for other schools. You have a lot of great experience and I wish you the best in deciding what you truly see yourself doing for the rest of your life.

Hello, I completed all in OTCAS except for the 20+ shadowing hours and I have 2 LOR. However, I found I was one class (Abnormal Psych) short, and have to take it in the Spring of 2022 which puts me in the 2023 class if accepted. TWU is where I'm wanting to go since I received my MBA there. They are thinking about requiring the GRE again for 2022. I hope not. I took the HESI exam for another program and I do not want to take the GRE. The LOR I received won't roll over to next year so I have to redo and add more. The OTR Coordinator, Karen, told me to try different areas of OT not just SNF. It's hard to get into the schools and peds with OTs because of Covid. In the interim, I'm thinking about pursuing Adult Cardiac Sonography until I can get into the OTR program. Keeping my options open over here in Dallas.
I applied for Twu for 2022 and they did not require GRE, but I am sure they will more then likely bring it back