USMLE Muscle Function Questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

An MD Hopeful

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about Step 1. I have been using Firecracker, and the FC anatomy topics really emphasize muscle functions. I'm having a hard time remembering nuanced differences in muscle functions for things like the gluteal muscles. I'm a first year, so I'm not doing any question banks yet and don't know how the exam tests on things like muscles. Does the USMLE Step 1 include questions that would require knowing nitpicky differences in functions of muscles?

Thanks in advance, and Happy Holidays everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Wondering this as well. Every time I see the card about the functions of the tensor fascia latae I want to drop out of med school.

Wondering this as well. Every time I see the card about the functions of the tensor fascia latae I want to drop out of med school.

That's one of my least favorite ones too. And in anatomy at school, we barely discussed that muscle.

I don't know if this is helpful, but this is the way I remember it: I know the tensor fasciae latae works on both the hip joint and knee joint; to remember its function on the hip joint, I think "FAb Med": flexor, abduction, medial rotation. I don't have a way to remember its function at the knee joint, but I just remember that it's sorta the opposite as the hip joint, so extension and lateral rotation. And of course, it keeps the knee in a locked position; I have no way to remember that other than by its attachments and position.

Can anyone enlighten us about whether it's important to know these types of muscle functions well for the Step 1?