Multiple Attempts and Matched (2016)- Took 7 Steps to get to Residency. Hope this Helps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

positivemd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been a long time forum reader but I was never the type to post things. I’m the kind of person that really relied on the “misery likes company” cliche. Whenever I had any problems regarding medical school or this whole application process, I would surf these forums to look for people in the same situation. Granted 9/10 times it would lead to discouragement and more stress (secondary to the negative trolls out there), but once in awhile I’d come across an inspiring story that would give me just enough motivation to keep pushing forward. I have had such a rough journey in pursuit of a residency that I promised myself that the day I do match, if I ever do, I would write my story. It is by no means inspiring or motivational but I hope it helps someone out there who is in my same situation….…

First as always let's start with stats….? I know you all want to know
  • I am an IMG, graduated from Carib med school. US Citizen.
  • First Choice: Pediatrics, in time was willing to do anything
  • I graduated med school with a 3.5 GPA, never really had trouble with my courses and matriculated in good standing. Postponed graduation year by 6 months (from June 2014 to Jan 2015) due to my first Step Failure
  • USMLE Transcript (USMLE Step freaking 7)
    • USMLE Step 1:
      • 1st attempt: 183 (fail)
      • 2nd attempt: 212 (pass)
    • Usmle Step 2 CS
      • 1st attempts: Pass
    • USMLE Step 2 CK
      • 1st attempt: 198 (fail)
      • 2nd attempt: 195 (fail) did worse too
      • 3rd attempt: 224 (pass)
    • USMLE Step 3
      • 1st attempt: 198 (barely pass)
ERAS History Timeline and What I did.
  • 2013-2014 Application Year:
    • Failed Step 1, not going into detail, I changed my study habits, studied full time, retook it asap, took practice tests - barely passed lol, 212!
    • Spent ~$6k in applications, applied to 240+ programs due to my Step 1 Failure (Peds, IM, FM, Prelim Surgery, Prelim IM)
    • Received 2 Interviews: both pediatrics and both a courtesy interview from programs I rotated in. Interviews went well as the administration/attendings knew me
      • My Significant other matched in one of these programs in the meantime (more on this later)
    • Received first failing Step 2 CK score report - and was forced to withdraw from the match (6k flushed down the drain)
    • I continued to finish off my rotations and made an emphasis to suck up extra hard in my program (program is known to take IMGs)
    • I studied for Step 2CK and retook it - results came back - again Failed! Danggit
    • Super devastated, went under depression, took a couple of weeks to go through DABDA but after talking with family and friends, I ultimately decided to keep freaking trying.
    • Took time off and postponed rotations to really focus on studying full time.
    • Changed my study habits, made and stuck to my schedule, take a crapton of practice tests, went through UWorld 3x- re-took the test after 3 months- passed with 224 (not great but at least average)
    • Finished off the rest of my rotations, which actually was beneficial because for the next application year my year of graduation was 2015 instead of 2014 so it looked like I was a fresh grad
  • 2014-2015 Application Year:
    • Spent ~5k on applications, still applied to 200+ programs, I removed some that were straight rejections from the previous year but I still wanted to maximize due to 3 failures in Step. Like the previous year I applied broadly and included Pathology and PMR.
    • Received 4 interviews: 2 from the previous programs I interviewed with (peds), 1 Internal Medicine
      • One program offered me an IV because I targeted it during my 4th year and my significant other did well during intern year
      • PD told me that my USMLE’s pretty much suck, take Step 3 and that we can re-evaluate next year
      • Other IV’s were standard, blah, blah
    • Match Day: no match
    • SOAP: No SOAP
    • Depression Cycle all over again, take time to yourself, re-evaluate life, went into hiding from the world due to embarrassment, shame, and self pity.
    • Came out of it, decided to stop being a little B*t*h: decided that no matter what this is what I want and I'll keep trying
    • One specific change I made was to try and get a realistic “Plan B” Career in the meantime while I applied year after year after year, because unfortunately just because I didn't match I still had to pay rent
    • During the interim year I continued to keep contact with the residents I worked with during my 3rd and 4th year rotations, tackled as many research projects as I could with hopes to get something published (because honestly so many research projects get started but almost none finish)- I did not get any publications but I was able to work with attendings (who I asked for recommendations in the future)
    • I needed a paying job, because honestly I was broke. The best scenario is to find a “clinically” oriented job, but unfortunately there's nothing much you can do with an MD. I worked as a part time (3 days/week) Science Tutor for a City College for minimum wage (Bio, Chem, Orgo, Anatomy and Physiology), not medical but at least I could say it mention it as a “basic sciences” foundation builder during my interviews.
      • I did well in this job and moved up to tutoring Nursing students, specifically the NCLEX (well this got more medical)
      • Made an acquaintance who also worked at a PA school and asked for a recommendation. Got another tutoring position, tutoring the same subjects but on a higher level (PA students)- again more medical is good! (paid a little better $20/hr but only for 2 days a week
      • Holding these 2 jobs, I worked 6 days a week which allowed me to make somewhat of a paycheck. SO was paying rent and I was helping here iand there for food and utilities (thank God for her)
    • During this time, I studied for Step 3 whenever I had free time. When I had no students to tutor, I studied. When I got home, I studied. Driving to work, I listened to kaplan videos, basically I studied. I knew I needed to kill it to have any chance.
      • Time goes by, I take the Step 3: I passed but did I kill it? Heck No!!!! Got 196 which was 6 points over the pass rate. (I think they may have changed the pass rate to 200 now lol). Anyways, at least I'll have the score prior to next season
    • I kept up with my contacts during my clinical years (attendings and residents), my school counselor (who was not helpful at all with advice). SGU’s OCG department who is actually good at sending alternate jobs/ paid research.
      • I applied to almost every medical job available in neighboring hospitals, specifically targeting hospitals with residency programs
      • Landed a research coordinator job for a hospital that was 2.5 hours away. Took this right away (paid 50k/ year) plus had the opportunity for more connections. Worked here for 3 months under a boss who was really bad, like bad (dont want to go into detail). He agreed to pay me 50k/year but then changed it to paying me $15/hour 2 days out of my 5 day work week, anyways I sucked it up and stayed positive being that there wasn't a lot of options
  • 2015-2016 Application Year:
    • While hating my life because I was driving 24 hours/week to and from work at the same time being ripped off of a paycheck. I slept at night saying thank you for the family and support I have, the opportunity I was given (paid clinical job), and the strength to keep trying. Staying positive is really key guys, can't stress that enough!
    • Decided to take the online MBA, because I considered going the medical administration route as a back up (still currently finishing this)
    • Got a random email one day from my med school's OCG department about a paid Administration Position at the hospital I rotated in during my 4th year, this was also the same hospital my SO was a resident in, and was 2 blocks away from our apt.
      • Called every contact I have (which is why it's important not to burn old bridges) and asked for their recommendations- ultimately I got the position after 6 weeks of waiting and following up!
      • Gladly quit my previous residency coordinator position! Giving my boss my 2 weeks notice felt awesome.
      • This position is what ultimately led to my increased exposure to the program at the hospital. I specifically asked for all the projects involving the department and I really worked hard.
        • Attended all the meetings
        • Generally show my interest and worked hard to stand out
          Worked with the residents and attendings
        • Improved the department's numbers
    • When application season came around I received 3 Interviews (all through contacts I made in the past): 1 peds (in the hospital I was working for), 2 Internal Medicine (one prematch)
      • Another $5k in the hole
      • IM prematch did not offer me the spot
      • Ranked 2 hospitals in my NRMP ROL (bleh)
      • Not very confident about my odds

Ultimately, Match Day came last week and I matched in Pediatrics! My first choice all along. Just goes to show that hard work will always pay off. I was trying to keep this short but it got super long. In any case, I didn't include a lot of the details and I don't want to mention any hospital names (so to the trolls out there you can bag on that) or any names for that matter for privacy purposes. In any case, I don't feel like proofreading all that haha but this is my story and my advice, take it for what it's worth. I’m going to bust my ass in residency to prove at least to this program that giving people like “us” a chance could be the best investment after all. If it helps you feel better for even one second, it was worth it. Stay positive, stay strong, if its what you want, go get it!

Ill try to jump back into this post here and there prior to starting residency in July, in case you guys have any specific questions, but no promises! I wish you all the best of luck, and know that you are not alone in this.

Blessings,

PositiveMD (lamest name ever but I couldn't think of anything else)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 129 users
dude that's inspirational. good for you. I hope you rock residency

Reactions: 1 users
wow that sounded like quite the journey. looks like it worked out for you. congrats! don't know if I would have had continued if I were in your position

Members don't see this ad :)
Very happy for you @positivemd - Congratulations!

However, I would like to point out that it was more than just persistence that led to your success. You formulated a sound strategy, then executed according to plan. You built and sustained professional networks and worked your tail off. You earned this one --

Reactions: 34 users
I am happy you matched but your story better exemplifies why not to go to the Caribbean. Rather than saying "it is possible!" It would probably be better to say that you experienced more than a major headache by going down there.

Reactions: 11 users
I am happy you matched but your story better exemplifies why not to go to the Caribbean. Rather than saying "it is possible!" It would probably be better to say that you experienced more than a major headache by going down there.

I don't think his story says anything at all about Caribbean schools or IMGs. More than anything, it serves as a warning that failing multiple Steps is bad.

Reactions: 24 users
Thanks a lot everyone, I am both excited and a little nervous to start haha

@tymont12 - A agree with ZpakEffect, the majority of Caribbean grads have no problems matching. Those that don't, have red flags as I did.

Reactions: 2 users
Been a long time forum reader but I was never the type to post things. I’m the kind of person that really relied on the “misery likes company” cliche. Whenever I had any problems regarding medical school or this whole application process, I would surf these forums to look for people in the same situation. Granted 9/10 times it would lead to discouragement and more stress (secondary to the negative trolls out there), but once in awhile I’d come across an inspiring story that would give me just enough motivation to keep pushing forward. I have had such a rough journey in pursuit of a residency that I promised myself that the day I do match, if I ever do, I would write my story. It is by no means inspiring or motivational but I hope it helps someone out there who is in my same situation….…

• I am an IMG, graduated from SGU School of Medicine. US Citizen.
  • I graduated med school with a 3.5 GPA, never really had trouble with my courses and matriculated in good standing. Postponed graduation year by 6 months (from June 2014 to Jan 2015) due to my first Step Failure
    • USMLE Step 1:
      • 1st attempt: 196 (fail)
    • Usmle Step 2 CS
    • USMLE Step 2 CK
      • 1st attempt: 198 (fail) by 2 freaking points!!!!!
    • USMLE Step 3
    • Failed Step 1, not going into detail, I changed my study habits, studied full time, retook it asap, took practice tests - barely passed lol, 212!
    • Spent ~$6k in applications, applied to 240+ programs due to my Step 1 Failure (Peds, IM, FM, Prelim Surgery, Prelim IM)
    • Received 2 Interviews: both pediatrics and both a courtesy interview from programs I rotated in. Interviews went well as the administration/attendings knew me
      • My Significant other matched in one of these programs in the meantime (more on this later)
    • Received first failing Step 2 CK score report - and was forced to withdraw from the match (6k flushed down the drain)
    • I continued to finish off my rotations and made an emphasis to suck up extra hard in my program (program is known to take IMGs)
    • I studied for Step 2CK and retook it - results came back - again Failed! Danggit
    • Super devastated, went under depression, took a couple of weeks to go through DABDA but after talking with family and friends, I ultimately decided to keep freaking trying.
    • Changed my study habits, made and stuck to my schedule, take a crapton of practice tests, went through UWorld 3x- re-took the test after 3 months- passed with 224 (not great but at least average)
    • Finished off the rest of my rotations, which actually was beneficial because for the next application year my year of graduation was 2015 instead of 2014 so it looked like I was a fresh grad
    • Spent ~5k on applications, still applied to 200+ programs, I removed some that were straight rejections from the previous year but I still wanted to maximize due to 3 failures in Step. Like the previous year I applied broadly and included Pathology and PMR.
    • Received 4 interviews: 2 from the previous programs I interviewed with (peds), 1 Internal Medicine
      • One program offered me an IV because I targeted it during my 4th year and my significant other did well during intern year
      • PD told me that my USMLE’s pretty much suck, take Step 3 and that we can re-evaluate next year
    • Depression Cycle all over again, take time to yourself, re-evaluate life, went into hiding from the world due to embarrassment, shame, and self pity.
    • Came out of it, decided to stop being a little B*t*h: decided that no matter what this is what I want and I'll keep trying
    • One specific change I made was to try and get a realistic “Plan B” Career in the meantime while I applied year after year after year, because unfortunately just because I didn't match I still had to pay rent
    • During the interim year I continued to keep contact with the residents I worked with during my 3rd and 4th year rotations, tackled as many research projects as I could with hopes to get something published (because honestly so many research projects get started but almost none finish)- I did not get any publications but I was able to work with attendings (who I asked for recommendations in the future)
    • I needed a paying job, because honestly I was broke. The best scenario is to find a “clinically” oriented job, but unfortunately there's nothing much you can do with an MD. I worked as a part time (3 days/week) Science Tutor for a City College for minimum wage (Bio, Chem, Orgo, Anatomy and Physiology), not medical but at least I could say it mention it as a “basic sciences” foundation builder during my interviews.
      • I did well in this job and moved up to tutoring Nursing students, specifically the NCLEX (well this got more medical)
      • Made an acquaintance who also worked at a PA school and asked for a recommendation. Got another tutoring position, tutoring the same subjects but on a higher level (PA students)- again more medical is good! (paid a little better $20/hr but only for 2 days a week
      • Holding these 2 jobs, I worked 6 days a week which allowed me to make somewhat of a paycheck. SO was paying rent and I was helping here iand there for food and utilities (thank God for her)
    • During this time, I studied for Step 3 whenever I had free time. When I had no students to tutor, I studied. When I got home, I studied. Driving to work, I listened to kaplan videos, basically I studied. I knew I needed to kill it to have any chance.
      • Time goes by, I take the Step 3: I passed but did I kill it? Heck No!!!! Got 196 which was 6 points over the pass rate. (I think they may have changed the pass rate to 200 now lol). Anyways, at least I'll have the score prior to next season
    • I kept up with my contacts during my clinical years (attendings and residents), my school counselor (who was not helpful at all with advice). SGU’s OCG department who is actually good at sending alternate jobs/ paid research.
      • I applied to almost every medical job available in neighboring hospitals, specifically targeting hospitals with residency programs
      • Landed a research coordinator job for a hospital that was 2.5 hours away. Took this right away (paid 50k/ year) plus had the opportunity for more connections. Worked here for 3 months under a boss who was really bad, like bad (dont want to go into detail). He agreed to pay me 50k/year but then changed it to paying me $15/hour 2 days out of my 5 day work week, anyways I sucked it up and stayed positive being that there wasn't a lot of options
    • While hating my life because I was driving 24 hours/week to and from work at the same time being ripped off of a paycheck. I slept at night saying thank you for the family and support I have, the opportunity I was given (paid clinical job), and the strength to keep trying. Staying positive is really key guys, can't stress that enough!
    • Decided to take the online MBA, because I considered going the medical administration route as a back up (still currently finishing this)
    • Got a random email one day from SGU OCG department about a paid Administration Position at the hospital I rotated in during my 4th year, this was also the same hospital my SO was a resident in, and was 2 blocks away from our apt.
      • Called every contact I have (which is why it's important not to burn old bridges) and asked for their recommendations- ultimately I got the position after 6 weeks of waiting and following up!
      • Gladly quit my previous residency coordinator position! Giving my boss my 2 weeks notice felt awesome.
      • This position is what ultimately led to my increased exposure to the peds program at the hospital. I specifically asked for all the projects involving the pediatric department and I really worked hard.
        • Attended all the pediatric meetings
    • When application season came around I received 3 Interviews (all through contacts I made in the past): 1 peds (in the hospital I was working for), 2 Internal Medicine (one prematch)

Ultimately, Match Day came last week and I matched in Pediatrics! My first choice all along. Just goes to show that hard work will always pay off. I was trying to keep this short but it got super long. In any case, I didn't include a lot of the details and I don't want to mention any hospital names (so to the trolls out there you can bag on that) or any names for that matter for privacy purposes. In any case, I don't feel like proofreading all that haha but this is my story and my advice, take it for what it's worth. I’m going to bust my ass in residency to prove at least to this program that giving people like “us” a chance could be the best investment after all. If it helps you feel better for even one second, it was worth it. Stay positive, stay strong, if its what you want, go get it!

Ill try to jump back into this post here and there prior to starting residency in July, in case you guys have any specific questions, but no promises! I wish you all the best of luck, and know that you are not alone in this.

Blessings,

Reading your story is super inspirational. This was amazing. Honestly, you should make a blog or a youtube video. It was that good. Good luck and congrats.

Wow, grit always pays off!

• I am an IMG, graduated from SGU School of Medicine. US Citizen.
    • USMLE Step 1:
    • Usmle Step 2 CS
    • USMLE Step 2 CK
    • USMLE Step 3
    • Got a random email one day from SGU OCG department about a paid Administration Position at the hospital I rotated in during my 4th year, this was also the same hospital my SO was a resident in, and was 2 blocks away from our apt.
      • This position is what ultimately led to my increased exposure to the peds program at the hospital. I specifically asked for all the projects involving the pediatric department and I really worked hard.
        • Attended all the pediatric meetings

Blessings,

I'm so happy you shared your story, especially on SDN. Could you imagine what type of feedback you would have got if this was prior to you matching! :)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm glad that you got where you wanted to be going. Have you been told at all if your multiple step failures are going to impeded licensing anywhere state side? I know its a state by state basis.

• USMLE Step 1:
    • Usmle Step 2 CS
    • USMLE Step 2 CK
    • USMLE Step 3
    • Got a random email one day from my med school's OCG department about a paid Administration Position at the hospital I rotated in during my 4th year, this was also the same hospital my SO was a resident in, and was 2 blocks away from our apt.
      • This position is what ultimately led to my increased exposure to the program at the hospital. I specifically asked for all the projects involving the department and I really worked hard.

Blessings,

Very proud of you! Goes to show you that it's not what happens to you but how you interpret it and respond to it that matters. Keep up the good work and be a badass doc!

Reactions: 1 user
Has a 196 Step 1 ever been a failing score?

Story is bs. Passing score for step 1 is 192 right now, raised from 188 4 years ago

Reactions: 9 users
Haha, thanks everyone. You guys are right! I messed up my Step 1 score, was typing this from the top of my head. But to those that think this story is "BS", I love it, people like you is what pushed me to keep going lolz...in any case I corrected it to my actual score after digging for my score report (which I also attached, not that I need to prove anything to anyone lol), just want to hopefully keep motivating those that need it. @Psai @GUH

upload_2016-3-24_8-41-59.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Also glad everything worked out for you. But was your issue test taking ability or knowledge? Hopefully the former. When somebody succeeds after so many tries it is a great story but you have to think about the patient population and whether they are "safe" under the care of somebody who had to try exceedingly hard. You need to continue working your a** off during residency and read daily. There are still boards during peds residency. Sorry to be a debbie downer but getting a peds residency is not the hardest part of your journey thus far.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Also, american MD >> DO >>>>>>>> caribbean MD

Reactions: 4 users

not the best place to post the above 2 comments.
To the OP, seriously good job. Know the amount of work you put in and continue that going forward. Be willing to work harder than others, and you will do well.

In the end you got what you wanted, which is all that really matters.

Reactions: 12 users
Congrats OP, glad the story is not BS, as we have had many people fool us (me) in the past. Use the haters as motivators to further your success and abilities! :)

Reactions: 8 users

While true, not sure why you posted this here. I consider myself to be one of the harsher posters here and this seems to be in poor taste even by my standards.

Your mental toughness is nothing short of astounding. Congrats on the match.

Congrats to you man. Perseverance paid off.

don't you ever quit! (Abraham Lincoln did not, just like you and after a number of tries became president of the USA)

Seriously man, enough. You are the type of person I would hate to be around let alone work around.

Did I say something wrong? Are you offended by my view of Caribbean md schools that take your money but don't let you be the physician you want? Do you not know how unfair Caribbean md schools are in forcing you study stranded on an island and asking you to find your own 3rd and 4th year rotations? Also, not sure if you'd hate being around me b/c you don't know me. The only reason I posted it was because the op first stated that he was an IMG. Being an IMG limits you to maybe 3 or 4 specialties not to mention the residencies you match in are community based hospitals (unless you are the cream of the crop). 2nd, being an IMG that fails boards almost prevents you from being a doctor. This is why the op struggled so hard. I agree with @HelpPleaseMD and @TBV that I should not have posted that specific comment in the thread, but I truly felt inclined at that moment (and also wanted to recap what sdn members above me were saying) to remind highschoolers/ md hopefuls that Caribbean md is not that way to go because it results in people needing to struggle so hard for little gain. Still, I congratulate the op on finally getting a residency.

Last edited:
I'm so glad that you put this out there. And don't kid yourself...It is DEFINITELY inspirational. I've met doctors going from what-seemed-to-be-a-hopeless situation to a match. Unfortunately, not all of us have the opportunities/advice/money/butt-kicking friends and family/networking that others do. That doesn't mean that we can't be good doctors. You sound like someone who will not stop at trying to help a real peds patient with the most challenging diagnosis. I'd choose YOU as a peds doctor for my children any day!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Congrats! I wish SDN had more posts like these where people shared their success stories given their backgrounds.

Reactions: 8 users
Did I say something wrong? Are you offended by my view of Caribbean md schools that take your money but don't let you be the physician you want? Do you not know how unfair Caribbean md schools are in forcing you study stranded on an island and asking you to find your own 3rd and 4th year rotations? Also, not sure if you'd hate being around me b/c you don't know me. The only reason I posted it was because the op first stated that he was an IMG. Being an IMG limits you to maybe 3 or 4 specialties not to mention the residencies you match in are community based hospitals (unless you are the cream of the crop). 2nd, being an IMG that fails boards almost prevents you from being a doctor. This is why the op struggled so hard. I agree with @HelpPleaseMD and @TBV that I should not have posted that specific comment in the thread, but I truly felt inclined at that moment (and also wanted to recap what sdn members above me were saying) to remind highschoolers/ md hopefuls that Caribbean md is not that way to go because it results in people needing to struggle so hard for little gain. Still, I congratulate the op on finally getting a residency.

Just waiting on a similar explanation for why MD is >> than DO...

Congrats, OP.

Work hard in residency, become a great doc, live proud that you achieved your goals.

Because there's a reason why people choose the DO route and it's not usually because they fell in love with the DO philosophy.

That doesn't mean having an MD is inherently better than having DO degree which is what the poster was implying. I've met plenty of amazing MD and DO physicians and never would have known what letters they had after their name if they hadn't been added in Epic. Acting like having an MD automatically makes you superior is dumb.

That doesn't mean having an MD is inherently better than having DO degree which is what the poster was implying. I've met plenty of amazing MD and DO physicians and never would have known what letters they had after their name if they hadn't been added in Epic. Acting like having an MD automatically makes you superior is dumb.
It doesn't automatically make you superior, but people generally prefer to obtain one of these degrees over the other if they can (for various reasons).

Congrats OP! It really is inspiring. I struggle with exams too and I'm currently freaking out studying for step 2. I really needed to see an inspirational post like this. Best of luck in your residency.

I don't think the MD > DO > carib statement on SDN is stating anything about the quality of physicians that came from those medical schools (i.e. the end product). Many of the best physicians I know graduated from Caribbean programs, and I've met lots of amazing DO and MD docs as well. Like you said, if it weren't for the ID badges showing the letters, I honestly would have no idea who graduated from where, nor do I care as long as they're a good doctor/person.

I think that statement is simply saying that if your final goal is to be that kickass physician (MD, DO, IMG, or anything else), even though all three can get you there, MD is the path if least resistance to getting to that point, whereas DO students have a few extra hurdles one may need to overcome, and Caribbean students have a lot more hurdles to overcome. Anyone coming out of any of these processes, if they work hard and make it to the end goal can be an amazing physician. However, to get to that same end goal, MD route is the path of least resistance.

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats OP! It really is inspiring. I struggle with exams too and I'm currently freaking out studying for step 2. I really needed to see an inspirational post like this. Best of luck in your residency.

I don't think the MD > DO > carib statement on SDN is stating anything about the quality of physicians that came from those medical schools (i.e. the end product). Many of the best physicians I know graduated from Caribbean programs, and I've met lots of amazing DO and MD docs as well. Like you said, if it weren't for the ID badges showing the letters, I honestly would have no idea who graduated from where, nor do I care as long as they're a good doctor/person.

I think that statement is simply saying that if your final goal is to be that kickass physician (MD, DO, IMG, or anything else), even though all three can get you there, MD is the path if least resistance to getting to that point, whereas DO students have a few extra hurdles one may need to overcome, and Caribbean students have a lot more hurdles to overcome. Anyone coming out of any of these processes, if they work hard and make it to the end goal can be an amazing physician. However, to get to that same end goal, MD route is the path of least resistance.
I'm not sure if I'd say it's the path of least resistance, because of the three, US MD schools are the hardest to get into. But once you're in, you can get a lot more out of the same amount of work you'd put in at a DO or carribean school. So naturally people would prefer to be at an MD school if at all possible.

I'm not sure if I'd say it's the path of least resistance, because of the three, US MD schools are the hardest to get into. But once you're in, you can get a lot more out of the same amount of work you'd put in at a DO or carribean school. So naturally people would prefer to be at an MD school if at all possible.
You're right, I should rephrase haha. I meant path of least resistance AFTER getting accepted.

Very inspiring! I am a US-IMG and have 2 failures. Step-1 209 first attempt. CS pass second attempt. Working on step-2 CK second attempt. My current step-2 CK is 208....
I am planning to take step-3 and apply for the 2018 match. I am not sure if it works for me ... I really don't want to give up.

First, Congratulation!!!
Second, thank very much for your post. You gave me a new perspective and strength of what I'm going through right now. It's nothing compared to yours.
Awesome.

I know that I might sound like a jerk for saying this but there's no way I would bring my kid to you if he was sick considering it took you multiple attempts just to pass Step. But congrats though.

• USMLE Step 1:
      • 1st attempt: 183 (fail)
    • Usmle Step 2 CS
    • USMLE Step 2 CK
      • 1st attempt: 198 (fail)
    • USMLE Step 3

Blessings,

Wow, this is the very definition of persistence. Reminds me of the "Pursuit of Happyness" except it's more realistic because you as the protagonist possess average intelligence.

I know that I might sound like a jerk for saying this but there's no way I would bring my kid to you if he was sick considering it took you multiple attempts just to pass Step. But congrats though.

Good thing everyone's step scores and numbers of attempts go on their badges. That would be really inconvenient for you to have to look up.

I get what you're saying, but some people have trouble w standardized tests for one reason or another. I don't think it has nearly the bearing on the caliber of physician that you do. Personally, I would view multiple class failures as more of an issue.

while test taking strategy is certainly important for getting high scores (>260) , i don't think you can fail on usmle simply because of poor test taking strategy...in my experience, a higher score often if not always reflects better clinical acumen...it does not always translate into better outcomes because that also need sound communication and interpersonal skills...multiple board failures is a definite red flag...if I become a PD , i d find it tough to select people with multiple attempts...AMGs or IMGs ...unless there is a solid reason for it ,like death of a spouse or sickness or something like that...the only exam I d tolerate failure is perhaps CS as it is crappy exam...