Multi-channel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

topwise

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that some EMGers do the multi-channel hook-up for their NCS. Like they will have the rings on the second and fifth fingers, as well as the disks on the APB and ADM, all plugged in to different channels. Then just stimulate the sites, one by one.

I'm just curious how many of you use this approach. I don't particularly like it, because I feel like the wires get all tangled and might interfere with the response, especially if it's something subtle. But I could be convinced otherwise. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I've noticed that some EMGers do the multi-channel hook-up for their NCS. Like they will have the rings on the second and fifth fingers, as well as the disks on the APB and ADM, all plugged in to different channels. Then just stimulate the sites, one by one.

I'm just curious how many of you use this approach. I don't particularly like it, because I feel like the wires get all tangled and might interfere with the response, especially if it's something subtle. But I could be convinced otherwise. :)

Seems like a lot of effort to me. I have never done it, and feel like the wires would get on my nerves pretty quick. Sounds like an attempt to save time, but does it really?

I would think that all of those wires makes proper patient positioning difficult. Do they perform the median motor, then position the arm with the elbow bent to perform the ulnar motor with all of those electrodes attached? All those wires may mess with your sensory responses - shock artifact and impedance and all that – and likewise all those crisscrossing wires may make troubleshooting more challenging.

Probably not wrong, per se. Likely just a matter of personal preference. I like keeping it simple. I don’t think using multiple electrodes and channels would make me more efficient.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've tried to do it with 2 channels, but hard to set up the program to do it, doesn't save time. Plus the stim spots are different, so pt get's zapped just as much. Also, often can do sensory with 30 mA, but motor may take 100.

I suspect these are the people that report distances such as "7.6 cm".

I don't think it would save me much time either, but some people seem to swear by it....

I think it saves a little time because of not fumbling with my measuring tape all the time; I get most of it out of the way from the start.

I think it saves a little time because of not fumbling with my measuring tape all the time; I get most of it out of the way from the start.

Well, I definitely do mark everything before I start to save time with the measuring tape.

we put all the electrodes in place (disposable) , measure the distances, then use clip on wires - just move the wires around

Have you found any difference in sensitivity on the disposables v. permanents?

Have you looked at how financially practical this is v. permanent electrodes?

To be honest, I have put my equipment searching needs for next year on hold until boards are done. Thinking about either the portable Viasys v. protable Teca too

That reminds me of another question: does anyone else use water in place of gel on their ring electrodes?

Have you found any difference in sensitivity on the disposables v. permanents?

Have you looked at how financially practical this is v. permanent electrodes?

To be honest, I have put my equipment searching needs for next year on hold until boards are done. Thinking about either the portable Viasys v. protable Teca too

I've been using Cadwell Sierra Wave for years - love it. Portable, but I don't go anywhere with it, but could. The report generator prints such outstanding-looking reports, it actually helps me generate referrals.

That reminds me of another question: does anyone else use water in place of gel on their ring electrodes?

Never tried it, but I'll try it next time I get one where I just can't get rid of the 60-cycle interference.

I've been using Cadwell Sierra Wave for years - love it. Portable, but I don't go anywhere with it, but could. The report generator prints such outstanding-looking reports, it actually helps me generate referrals.

+1:love: I have used the Cadwell, and do travel with it. It takes 5 min to set up and is far and away the best report generator. At AAPMR in SD, I took the Facial N. course and we used the Viking. The instructors and most of the participants could not get used to the stimulator, and the program was very cumbersome. We all wished we could use the Sierra Waves!

Never tried it, but I'll try it next time I get one where I just can't get rid of the 60-cycle interference.

Buy a sheilded 5pin cable and just use it in those situations. I recently needed to replace my amp because of a short in the ground (after 5 years and 3000 studies). The best $750 I ever spent.