MSU-COM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Maybe St. Joseph Mercy Livingston Hospital in Howell won't be as competitive?

It is still a doable commute... I think.

Do you plan on buying a house or something?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol, i was expecting posts saying why i shouldn't get one.

I am looking for a house to buy as well (but I am DMC campus)

I think its a little safer that way because more of the base hospitals are southeast.

I am looking for a house to buy as well (but I am DMC campus)

I think its a little safer that way because more of the base hospitals are southeast.

There is a lot of houses on the market in that area.

There is a lot of houses on the market in that area.

Is this the first year that MSUCOM have those extra sites? Maybe this would spread the desire to find base hospitals in those areas?

Does anybody know how many students will be at the three sites?

Is this the first year they are asking us to do fingerprinting? I know I have to get that done. It just feel weird, but I guess i got "fingerprinted" during the MCAT.

How exactly does the two distance site work? Is there a teacher there? Do you just go in a room, and someone turns on the projector and that would allow you to see the professor teaching at EL and the Prof will see them?
* I guess there is a professor there, and some will be videoconferencing while some lectures will be taught locally.

Last edited:
Is this the first year that MSUCOM have those extra sites? Maybe this would spread the desire to find base hospitals in those areas?

Does anybody know how many students will be at the three sites?

Is this the first year they are asking us to do fingerprinting? I know I have to get that done. It just feel weird, but I guess i got "fingerprinted" during the MCAT.

How exactly does the two distance site work? Is there a teacher there? Do you just go in a room, and someone turns on the projector and that would allow you to see the professor teaching at EL and the Prof will see them?
* I guess there is a professor there, and some will be videoconferencing while some lectures will be taught locally.

No the first time the MUC and DMC campuses were used was last year, this will be the second year.

There are 200 students at the EL site and 50 students at the MUC and DMC campuses, so a total of 300.

No this is not the first year of finger printing, everyone that is a medical student needs to be finger printed to start their clerk-ships.

Yes, they also mailed a letter which contains your PID number so that you can set up your e-mail. Did you get that?

For some reason I didn't get the financial aid notification a week ago, so I'm worried too that I might not be getting everything in the future. So if anyone received something from the school, please let us know!

PID number? I don't think I got any letter containing my PID number. Am I the only one missing it?

PID number? I don't think I got any letter containing my PID number. Am I the only one missing it?

They sent a 2 page letter with directions on how to set up your MSU email (and gives you your Personal ID number). My letter is dated Feb 4, and I received it at the beginning of this week. I would give them a call if you don't get it in the next few days!

Hey everyone,
Since the scholarship deadline for MSU COM was Jan 15th and MSU accepts students off the waitlist even after that, is it still possible to qualify for any of that aid as the tuition for MSU COM for OOSers is steep?

Thanks

I kind of wish I hadn't withdrawn so that I could start earlier. Man that would be nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I finished my application very late since one of my evaluators (writing the LOR) forgot to submit the letter for over a month. However, I heard from MSU three weeks ago telling me that they have placed me in the alternate list with the option of entering class of 2015 without re-applying in case I am not told to come this year.

Here are my questions:
Do they offer the next year class to everyone in their alternate list or not?
Does anyone knows if they have called anyone from the alternate list yet or not?

Thanks! :)

Here are my questions:
Do they offer the next year class to everyone in their alternate list or not?

No, not everyone gets on the guaranteed spot waitlist (there is another waitlist that doesn't offer a guaranteed spot for next year). They must keep the guaranteed spot list pretty short because apparently about 70% of the people on that list actually do get an acceptance for that year and don't have to wait the extra year.

Does anyone knows if they have called anyone from the alternate list yet or not?
I haven't seen anyone get called from the waitlist yet, I think it will really start to move in the beginning of march all the way up until orientation once people start to give up their seats.

You see the professor and lectures on large screens in front and back of the class. They can see/ hear you and you can ask questions back and forth.

In addition you have a professor in the classroom to ask questions during breaks/ after the lecture. There are something like 6 full time staff at both alternate sites.

You see the professor and lectures on large screens in front and back of the class. They can see/ hear you and you can ask questions back and forth.

In addition you have a professor in the classroom to ask questions during breaks/ after the lecture. There are something like 6 full time staff at both alternate sites.

OOO... So if I was at one of the sites, I would see the professor in front, and the kids in the back? So if a student asked the question, where would he see him/her?

If I was at EL would there be a screen in the back or front to see other students at the site?

OOO... So if I was at one of the sites, I would see the professor in front, and the kids in the back? So if a student asked the question, where would he see him/her?

If I was at EL would there be a screen in the back or front to see other students at the site?

I am pretty sure there is both.

The East Lansing site has one giant screen in conrad hall, no clue about DMC or MC. AFAIK you don't see the students in the lectures, if someone had a question the prof would just repeat it over the mic and then answer it. Have you gone to the tour day?

Do they email you if you are on the alternative waitlist?

The East Lansing site has one giant screen in conrad hall, no clue about DMC or MC. AFAIK you don't see the students in the lectures, if someone had a question the prof would just repeat it over the mic and then answer it. Have you gone to the tour day?

Nah I decided to ask SDN questions to replace going on the tour. Just not sure how the video conferencing works. So that one giant screen in EL would be used if there was someone teaching at one of the sites? And when EL is broadcasting, the instructor can see the student on that giant screen right?

Why is there a screen in the back at the sites:confused:...

I mean thats okay. Just making sure if I chose the right site. I just didn't want to to say to myself, "If I would've known that, I would have gone to this particular site."

Last edited:
Nah I decided to ask SDN questions to replace going on the tour. Just not sure how the video conferencing works. So that one giant screen in EL would be used if there was someone teaching at one of the sites? And when EL is broadcasting, the instructor can see the student on that giant screen right?

Why is there a screen in the back at the sites:confused:...

I mean thats okay. Just making sure if I chose the right site. I just didn't want to to say to myself, "If I would've known that, I would have gone to this particular site."

I suggest you check out one of the satellite campuses to get a good idea on how it works. They explain it well and you can actually see where everything is placed.

Yeah I got into COM and CHM both early, like the GR campus so went with CHM, but I really want to get started hah.

Oh, I gotcha, you mean like start a month early. I though you dropped the whole year haha.

BTW did you have to interview for CHM?

There are a lot of screens so you can see everything. At the distance sites there are screens for the powerpoint presentation, along w/ a HDTV or another projection (depending on site) that you can see the professor on. The TVs in the back are there so when a professor lectures from the distance sites, they can see the students at the other 2 sites. In addition, with the equipment, if a site starts talking (that's not the one the lecture is originating from) the cameras automatically switch and pull that up large on the front screen.. until they are done then it switches back to content/professor. It actually works really well and i usually prefer the broadcast over live lectures (no need to pay super close attention, laugh, etc). In addition, all these lectures are recorded, so you don't have to go to class if you don't want to (except for mandatory lectures). You can watch them all from the comfort of your pajamas in 2x (aka twice as fast as regular speed! wonderful!)

Also, there are faculty @ each distance site, some of whom teach lectures. The faculty are great and extremely helpful with everything. Also, the "actual" lecturers come to the distance sites usually ~1/week in case students have questions or to teach labs sometimes, etc etc etc. They work hard to keep it pretty much even between the 3 sites.

I suggest you check out one of the satellite campuses to get a good idea on how it works. They explain it well and you can actually see where everything is placed.

There are a lot of screens so you can see everything. At the distance sites there are screens for the powerpoint presentation, along w/ a HDTV or another projection (depending on site) that you can see the professor on. The TVs in the back are there so when a professor lectures from the distance sites, they can see the students at the other 2 sites. In addition, with the equipment, if a site starts talking (that's not the one the lecture is originating from) the cameras automatically switch and pull that up large on the front screen.. until they are done then it switches back to content/professor. It actually works really well and i usually prefer the broadcast over live lectures (no need to pay super close attention, laugh, etc). In addition, all these lectures are recorded, so you don't have to go to class if you don't want to (except for mandatory lectures). You can watch them all from the comfort of your pajamas in 2x (aka twice as fast as regular speed! wonderful!)

Also, there are faculty @ each distance site, some of whom teach lectures. The faculty are great and extremely helpful with everything. Also, the "actual" lecturers come to the distance sites usually ~1/week in case students have questions or to teach labs sometimes, etc etc etc. They work hard to keep it pretty much even between the 3 sites.

This makes a lot of sense now! Thank you!

Do people on the waitlist need to email MSU COM to confirm that they would like to stay on the list or is that implied?

Thanks

Just confirmed to EL today. If anyone is intrested in sharing an apartment, PM me. I have found a few properties that have June move in dates, and are really nice. I would be moving from the Chicago suburbs.

Has the waitlist started to move yet?

So if I have not heard from them at this point, is it a rejection then?

To put it bluntly, were both screwed at MSU. Thanks alma mater!

My guess is the priority wait list will move until sometime in June. You're far from screwed unless you're on the "non-priority" wait list...

Waitlisted today, with guarantee of entrance into 2015 class. This is an interesting concept and I wonder if that is where the majority of their accpetances come from each year.

I read above that about 70% on this list are accepted this year. is this accurate or an exaggeration, and if so is it a pretty regular flow of taking people off the waitlist.

And if anyone wants to contribute, provided I am asked off the waitlist, i was accepted to Tufts SMP and thus I would debate whcih to do. Can some people explain why choose this over an SMP and possible Tufts-MD in the future.

Thanks.

My guess is the priority wait list will move until sometime in June. You're far from screwed unless you're on the "non-priority" wait list...

MSU hasn't even had the decency to send or tell me ANYTHING since I sent in my application months ago.

Waitlisted today, with guarantee of entrance into 2015 class. This is an interesting concept and I wonder if that is where the majority of their accpetances come from each year.

I read above that about 70% on this list are accepted this year. is this accurate or an exaggeration, and if so is it a pretty regular flow of taking people off the waitlist.

And if anyone wants to contribute, provided I am asked off the waitlist, i was accepted to Tufts SMP and thus I would debate whcih to do. Can some people explain why choose this over an SMP and possible Tufts-MD in the future.

Thanks.

One is a master's program with no guarantee, where the other is med school. I would not pass up med school for a master's program.

One is a master's program with no guarantee, where the other is med school. I would not pass up med school for a master's program.

Yes but the acceptance is for fall 2011. Is it unwise to do the SMP, reapply to MDs, and have the MSUCOM acceptance as a backup?

Yes but the acceptance is for fall 2011. Is it unwise to do the SMP, reapply to MDs, and have the MSUCOM acceptance as a backup?

I guess if you've got the money to burn on that year for the masters and you really, really want an MD. Other than that I don't really see the point, why not just use that extra year (provided you don't get to start this summer) to make a little money, travel, or just bum around?

If you are willing to spend $58,000+ for the SMP, money for applications round 2 and put off a year of physician income for an opportunity at an MD degree, then sure go for it I guess. Probably not the greatest financial decision however I don't know your situation.

If you are willing to spend $58,000+ for the SMP, money for applications round 2 and put off a year of physician income for an opportunity at an MD degree, then sure go for it I guess. Probably not the greatest financial decision however I don't know your situation.

definitely not a good financial move, but i'm thinking about the rest of my life. ive been reading around because i was mostly just uninformed on DO, and have since learned it is nearly identical to MD, with a few exceptions. i don't like the fact that 50% of students use OMM on less than 5% of patients, yet it is still heavily stressed by schools. and i don't like the fact that 65% of graduates go into primary care, it makes it seem like its an uphill battle to compete for top MD specialty residency spots against MD students...

i guess if i got in this year i would definitley do it. its the offer of acceptance a year from now that throws me off and has me contemplating.

thanks for the sobering advice though

definitely not a good financial move, but i'm thinking about the rest of my life. ive been reading around because i was mostly just uninformed on DO, and have since learned it is nearly identical to MD, with a few exceptions. i don't like the fact that 50% of students use OMM on less than 5% of patients, yet it is still heavily stressed by schools. and i don't like the fact that 65% of graduates go into primary care, it makes it seem like its an uphill battle to compete for top MD specialty residency spots against MD students...

i guess if i got in this year i would definitley do it. its the offer of acceptance a year from now that throws me off and has me contemplating.

thanks for the sobering advice though

To be honest it mostly depends on the individual students. DO students can take the USMLE if they want, not to mention there is a lot of MD residency positions that DOs can apply to with the COMLEX anyways. Also, trying to get into specialty residencies is solely on the student applying and how qualified they are... in fact MSUCOM students have been able to acquire the residency positions they apply for, pc or not. Numbers just represent where people are ending up, it is up to you to get you where you want to be.

I have been accepted by MSUCOM a while ago, and have paid my deposit. The thing is that I am waiting a couple of other schools and I have read that the deadline for decisions is May 1st. If I pay that deposit am I enrolled and won't be considered at other schools, or is it not binding? I don't want this to sound as MSUCOM is a school I would not attend, because it is a great school I just want to know how long I have until I no longer have other potential offers. Also, when is the deadline to drop multiple acceptances and do MD and DO schools go on a different application timeline?

I have been accepted by MSUCOM a while ago, and have paid my deposit. The thing is that I am waiting a couple of other schools and I have read that the deadline for decisions is May 1st. If I pay that deposit am I enrolled and won't be considered at other schools, or is it not binding? I don't want this to sound as MSUCOM is a school I would not attend, because it is a great school I just want to know how long I have until I no longer have other potential offers. Also, when is the deadline to drop multiple acceptances and do MD and DO schools go on a different application timeline?

It's not binding, which is why the deposits are... not cheap.

I have no idea if there is a "deadline" for multiple acceptances but keep in mind MSUCOM starts in late June and I have definitely heard of people getting off the wait list at other schools but they're already taking classes at MSU. On the other hand, I have heard of people getting taken off the MSUCOM wait list the week before orientation/classes (ie: someone withdrew).

Good luck with your decisions.

Gotta know where you wanna go.