MSI needs advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Houseness

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi-

Great forum here, I'm glad it started. I really like ENT, but only in superficial terms (I'm too early in my medical career to know medically what i want to do). I really like the teamwork aspect of it, the specialization of it, the fact that it requires you to use both your mind and your hands, making it a specialty involving both medical managment and procedural work.

My first year so far has been a huge adjustment period for me. I am just starting to do relatively well. My school is on the honors/pass/fail system. I didnt honor anything my first semester, only passed. Im not honoring anything right now, but there's still time and I'm doing better.

I know board scores are important so Im really targeting the step I by looking at review books for courses I've already done and starting to get to know the quesitons (I'm only an MS1 remember).

Before I really found out I wanted to target ENT, I had already set up a project in a cancer research lab here at my school for the summer so I don't think I can back out of this as the PI of that lab is counting on me, so I won't be able to do ENT based research, but cancer is pretty general and this is a basic science lab project.

My school does not have an Oto teaching department, but does have ENT surgeons.

Now, what can I do starting now to be successful for ENT? I figure that ENT is so competitive that even if I change my mind later, I can still be okay for internal medicine or other things, but for ENT, I should start targeting soon, right?

Any advice from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and my school is your average state school, ranked average in research, highly in primary care.

Members don't see this ad.

Can we look into getting a sticky for this group?

Houseness said:
Hi-

Great forum here, I'm glad it started. I really like ENT, but only in superficial terms (I'm too early in my medical career to know medically what i want to do). I really like the teamwork aspect of it, the specialization of it, the fact that it requires you to use both your mind and your hands, making it a specialty involving both medical managment and procedural work.

My first year so far has been a huge adjustment period for me. I am just starting to do relatively well. My school is on the honors/pass/fail system. I didnt honor anything my first semester, only passed. Im not honoring anything right now, but there's still time and I'm doing better.

I know board scores are important so Im really targeting the step I by looking at review books for courses I've already done and starting to get to know the quesitons (I'm only an MS1 remember).

Before I really found out I wanted to target ENT, I had already set up a project in a cancer research lab here at my school for the summer so I don't think I can back out of this as the PI of that lab is counting on me, so I won't be able to do ENT based research, but cancer is pretty general and this is a basic science lab project.

My school does not have an Oto teaching department, but does have ENT surgeons.

Now, what can I do starting now to be successful for ENT? I figure that ENT is so competitive that even if I change my mind later, I can still be okay for internal medicine or other things, but for ENT, I should start targeting soon, right?

Any advice from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and my school is your average state school, ranked average in research, highly in primary care.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously? How about you, TheThroat? You seem knowledgeable.

Houseness I am pretty much in the same boat, and I would also appreciate some info.

I guess I have a few suggestions for you, coming from an MS4. I think a lot of people probably don't do great grade-wise during first year, and I doubt this kills their chances for anything. But I'm sure it's important to try to improve that, mainly during your third year...these are the key grades and comments people care about.
Step 1 is important. It is a standardized way of comparing people, which sucks but it's how it goes. Bust your butt studying for it and do as well as possible.
Research is good. I don't think it has to be in ENT, especially if it's something you're already involved in (just shows you were interested in getting involved early, which is great, eh?).
Something really important is to get some physicians supporting you. This might be difficult if you don't have an academic Oto dept. I guess if there is no one there who can write you good letters, it would be important to look into doing an away rotation early in your third year (if you have an elective month) to make some connections. A lot of ENT as a student seems to be showing enthusiasm and making it clear to people that you are someone they want to work with. Do whatever this takes, whether it's doing an away where people can comment on this in your letters of recommendation, or make connections with the private ENTs at your school (or both).
Don't worry with being a state school. I am from one as well and got interviews at great places because of my application, not because of my school reputation. I met students from both Hopkins and U. Tennessee at the same place (I randomly picked UT as a random state school...don't know anything about it).
Hope that helps some. Do your best academically, destroy Step 1 to the best of your ability, keep up the research, and make some personal connections!