MPH/Pre-Med at the same time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dizzle

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done this? I'm attending Columbia in the fall for an MPH, and I'm thinking about starting on some pre-reqs too. I wonder if there's some strange rule about stuff like that.

I hear of a lot of people that go to public health school and then decide to go to med school. Any of these folks on this forum?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi dizzle,

You can take your pre-reqs at any time! There's no special rule about when you take then, but how you do in them. :) As long as you're able to handle your MPH courseload along with the basic sciences needed for application to medical school (i.e., General Biology, General Chemistry, General Physics, & Organic Chemistry), then go for it (although it may be difficult depending on the concentration you're pursuing)! Also, there may be an opportunity to take some upper level sciences (e.g., Toxicology, Immunology) if they're offered through your MPH program. Since you're starting from scratch, I'd normally encourage a post-baccalaureate program which is structured to get you through these courses in a short period of time, but with the graduate degree, this might not be feasible (mainly for financial reasons). When are you looking to matriculate into medical school?

To address your second question, I know several people who decided a few years out of school that they wanted to pursue a medical degree, so you're definitely not alone. :)

Best,
H&T

HI Dizzle! I'm also going to be at Columbia this fall for my MPH too and I guess you can say I'm Pre-Med as well. But I've always been pre-med... :oops: I'm taking my MCATs this August. What concentration are you doing? Have you received your housing assignment yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm in the forced migration program. what are you going to be in? i actually live in new york so no special housing for me.

are you doing this during your glide year or something? good luck with the mcat!

I won't be applying to med school until next June. Thanks for the warm wishes but I'm totally nervous about the MCATs!!! :eek: I'm doing Health Policy. Have you received any materials about orientation or registration yet?