MPH / MSPH 2022: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted into UC Berkeley's 11-month MPH in Epidemiology on 2/1!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users

Congrats to all those accepted! Found this really helpful and so would encourage y’all to fill it out for next year’s (and even this year’s) applicants. Even if you’ve only been lurking so far you can use a fake handle 🙂

how do I fill this out?

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted to Berkeley MPH nutrition program!! I’m crying!!

Reactions: 9 users
Hi 2022 Applicants,

I was an applicant last year, and SDN was extremely helpful during the admissions cycle. Given that there isn't a thread for 2022, I started one, just to help out the new applicants.

_________

Optional template:

Undergraduate School/School type:
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA:
Major/minor:
Grad GPA (if applicable):
Grad studies (if applicable):
GRE(including date taken):

Experience/research:

Letters of Rec:

Interests:

Applied:
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Attending:

GRE(including date taken): Did not take

Experience/research: Research assistant for Evolutionary Biology (2 Years), Undergraduate Researcher for Covid-19 Health Disparities Project (1 year), Volunteered as Community Health Outreach Team Leader (2 Year), Medical Sociology TA (1 Semester), Legal Assistant (1 Year), Summer Health Professions Education Program Alumni, Health Careers Opportunity Program Alumni, 2 Undergraduate National Scholarships for Commitment to Minority Health Disparities, 2 Research Travel Grants, and ABRCMS Participant

Letters of Rec: 1 from former Sociology professor and research supervisor (Known 3 years), 1 from former PI (Known 2 Years), and 1 from community outreach supervisor (Known 3 Years).

Interests: Minority Health Disparities, Urban Health, South Asian Health Disparities, Epidemiology of Chronic Diseases, Social/Behavioral Health, Health Policy, and Health Promotion

Applied:
  1. Columbia University- MPH in Sociomedical Sciences
  2. New York University- MPH in Social and Behavioral Sciences
  3. Boston University- MPH in Health Policy and Law
  4. Drexel University- MPH in Community Health Sciences and Prevention
  5. University at Albany- MPH in Social Behavior and Community Health
  6. Mount Sinai- MPH in Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
  7. SUNY Downstate- MPH in Community Health Sciences
  8. CUNY- MPH in Community Health
Accepted: Drexel 1/26 ($15k Dean's Scholarship), Albany 1/25 ($1k Dean's Scholarship per semester), Mount Sinai 1/26, SUNY Downstate 2/3, CUNY 2/11, and Columbia 3/16 so far
Rejected: N/A
Waitlisted: N/A
Attending: N/A

Still waiting to hear back from my top choices (NYU and Boston). I applied in the first week of January for all schools so it was a bit later in the cycle. Fingers crossed and good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hey, y'all! I know I am beyond blessed to be in this position, but I am really struggling with my final decision. I was offered full tuition to both the University of Michigan for an MPH in global health epi and to National Taiwan University for an MSc in Global Health. In the future, I would like to pursue a Ph.D., focusing specifically on the impacts of climate change on the transmission of vector-borne diseases in SE Asia. I feel like Michigan is a better-ranked school, has a more rigorous curriculum, and would be more beneficial for work in the US, but NTU has better connections in the area I wish to work in (plus I would learn Mandarin while there). I am also totally financially independent, so cost is a big deal for me and NTU is cheaper. I would really appreciate any advice y'all have to offer :)

Last edited:
Just received 40K from Columbia split over 2 years! Very honored, but NYC is so expensive, I think that Columbia is cost-prohibited for me

Reactions: 4 users
Hi! How long after submitting to NYU did you guys get notified by NYU that your app was received? I submitted yesterday afternoon which was their deadline but I haven’t gotten any email yet? Thanks!
Hello, I'm new here and not sure if this was already answered.
I submitted my NYU application via SOPHAS on 01/28 then got an e-mail from NYU to activate my NetID for the GPH Application Status Portal on 02/01. I approved my transcript entry on 02/09 and got another similar email from NYU on 02/10 to activate my NetID. "Log in to view your status page: go to the NYU GPH Applicant Portal and enter your NetID and password."

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have to admit refreshing the Harvard portal daily even though it is unlikely anything will happen till AT LEAST next Friday..

Reactions: 6 users
Just received 40K from Columbia split over 2 years! Very honored, but NYC is so expensive, I think that Columbia is cost-prohibited for me
super rare congrats!

• Love
is there a groupme for columbia admitted/going students yet?

I also am super honored and lucky to have received 40k from Columbia! Not sure if NYC is still too expensive though...would love to hear any perspectives on the cost of living from current or prospective students!!!

Last edited:
I also am super honored and lucky to have received 40k from Columbia! Not sure if NYC is still too expensive though...would love to hear any perspectives on the cost of living from current or prospective students!!!
Congratulations!!! I know that for me, I only said the city was too expensive because I have another offer that is full tuition, which just makes it so so much cheaper than NYC and I can't really justify spending that much more money! The resources and name of Columbia may outweigh the cost for you, so just keep that in mind! That's an amazing scholarship and I am super pumped for you!

Does anyone know how I should go about finding current students to talk to about their experiences? I was recently accepted to Emory (biostats) and am really interested to hear from students
Congrats on getting in! The ambassadors page hasn't been updated with the new ambassadors that are being trained right now (although the ones for last year will probably still respond). Use the "Ask an Ambassador" page to submit a question if you want to get in touch with someone immediately, but there are a bunch of webinars that are planned for accepted students where you'll hear from current students and the student engagement team will talk about funding, life at Rollins, etc.

I got into Emory HPM on 1/31 applied 1/5 and its my first acceptance! :) I ended up making a discord server too if you would want to join bc I couldn't find a chat
Congrats on getting in! I'm in HPM at Rollins right now, so let me know if you have any immediate questions. The Rollins student engagement team will set up a Facebook page at some point and I'm sure someone is going to start a GroupMe for everyone to network and ask questions. The student engagement folks will also post updates and webinars for you to attend on the Facebook page. Facebook and GroupMe have been the most consistent places for questions and updates :)

So far I've only heard back from one school and my hopes are dwindling at this point. Thought I'd share my stats and get some feedback if I were to apply again next round.

Undergraduate School/School type: Ivy League
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.01
Major/minor: Sociology
Grad GPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE(including date taken): N/A

Experience/research:

Professional (post-grad):
- Health start-up directly after graduating (2018-2020)
- Public health research assistant (2020)
- Philanthropic foundation at a top 3 investment bank (2020-current)

Additional:
- Elected to hometown's city council (currently serving)
- Founder of a non-profit organization
- Member of numerous non-profit, public, and advisory boards
- Volunteer EMT

Letters of Rec:
- Congressional representative (I work closely with their them in my elected position)
- Dean of undergraduate school (also a tenured professor at school's school of public health)
- Professor (non-science)

Interests:
- Public health policy implementation at the local/state government

Applied: Columbia (12/1), Yale (12/1), Dartmouth (12/1), Harvard (12/1)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Dartmouth (1/9)
Attending:

Last edited:
I applied to Boston U the first week of January and received an email on January 19th saying that they would email me back in 7-10 business days to inform me when my application is ready for review. I never received that confirmation email but, did receive the other email with the supplemental application. Did this happen to anyone else/ should I email them to confirm my application is being reviewed?

In at Hopkins MSPH International Health with %75 scholarship during the second year! I am so happy about the tuition discount but does anyone know if it is possible to negotiate for the first year's tuition as well? Otherwise, I won't be able to afford :/

Reactions: 4 users
I applied to Boston U the first week of January and received an email on January 19th saying that they would email me back in 7-10 business days to inform me when my application is ready for review. I never received that confirmation email but, did receive the other email with the supplemental application. Did this happen to anyone else/ should I email them to confirm my application is being reviewed?
From my experience, it takes some time: I applied on the 2nd of January and received the email about the supplemental application on the 3rd of January, which I filled in and submitted on the same day. I only received the email that my application was complete and forwarded for review on the 7th of February… so waiting time of ~5 weeks…

In at Hopkins MSPH International Health with %75 scholarship during the second year! I am so happy about the tuition discount but does anyone know if it is possible to negotiate for the first year's tuition as well? Otherwise, I won't be able to afford :/
I want to know about this as well. I tried reaching out to the department to inquire about merit based scholarship but no response so far.

Reactions: 1 users
Has any received a scholarship for Michigan HBHE? Wondering if those are all out or if there is still hope lol

I was admitted to BU CAPDIE today with 25% scholarship. I applied nov 15th and received the app completed email 2.5 weeks ago.

Has any received a scholarship for Michigan HBHE? Wondering if those are all out or if there is still hope lol
I was wondering the same thing for HBHE.

Is anyone in the accelerated program for Columbia? I received a 30k scholarship but wondering if others have been successful at negotiating for more.

Is anyone in the accelerated program for Columbia? I received a 30k scholarship but wondering if others have been successful at negotiating for more.
when did you hear about your scholarship?
was this via email?

Thats amazing! congrats!

I've still not heard, i mustn't have got a scholarship
I'm not in the accelerated program, but from the letter on my applicant portal, I think that scholarships are being distributed from now through March 15 (I got mine in an email on 2/11), so I wouldn't stress about it quite yet :) You can always email and ask, but I think you'll be fine!

• Love
I'm not in the accelerated program, but from the letter on my applicant portal, I think that scholarships are being distributed from now through March 15 (I got mine in an email on 2/11), so I wouldn't stress about it quite yet :) You can always email and ask, but I think you'll be fine!
Thank you so much for the reassuring words, it has really helped to put me at ease:giggle:
Fingers crossed I will hear something soon

Hey, I actually just emailed someone from the Epi department regarding funding and they said "Our first round of funding has been sent out. Our second round of funding will go out by Mid March. Our second round of funding is very limited." I'm pretty bummed to hear this. I'm not sure if this applies to all departments though, so I suggest you email the department admissions coordinator to see if this is also true for HBHE

Congratulations! I just got admitted to the Accelerated Program as well! Did you wait a few weeks to hear about scholarships or did you hear together with the decision?

Congratulations! I just got admitted to the Accelerated Program as well! Did you wait a few weeks to hear about scholarships or did you hear together with the decision?
Thanks! I was admitted Jan 27 and heard back Feb 11th re: scholarships!

Congrats on getting in! I'm in HPM at Rollins right now, so let me know if you have any immediate questions. The Rollins student engagement team will set up a Facebook page at some point and I'm sure someone is going to start a GroupMe for everyone to network and ask questions. The student engagement folks will also post updates and webinars for you to attend on the Facebook page. Facebook and GroupMe have been the most consistent places for questions and updates :)
have you heard anything about financial aid yet?

I just received my offer today! 75% tuition for F 2022, W 2023, F 2023, & W 2024. Hope you get your offer soon, too!

Has anyone heard back about rejections from Columbia/Hopkins yet? I submitted my apps before December (but final LoR submitted mid-Dec), and haven't heard back anything from them yet 😬😬

Which department? Also did they offer you any scholarship with the admission decision?
International health. MTS 75% and I think that is part of everyone’s admission letter. I am still trying to figure out funding and scholarships.