MPH at Berkeley?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kussemek

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone here doing their MPH at Berkeley? If so, what are your impressions of it and where did you go for undergrad? I just graduated from CAL undergrad and have heard that it is difficult to get into their grad program if you are a product of their undergrad.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I know someone who did an MPH there about 2 or 3 years ago. She went to Cal for undergrad, was premed, and had no problem getting into the MPH right after graduation. She seemed to like the program, didn't think it was too difficult, learned a lot. In the end she did not apply to med school and is doing random stuff right now. I also have a friend who is taking some MPH classes right now through her job, and is going to apply into the program to start in 2005. She has really like the classes she has taken. She says they are well taught, the students are from very diverse professional backgrounds, and she is learning a lot.

Also, I have two friends who are Cal grads who are starting grad programs there in the fall. I have also heard the rumor that it is harder to get in if you are a Cal grad, but from what I have seen with people I know, it does not really seem to be the case. Good luck :)

I got my MPH from Berkeley in '03.

It is not true that it is harder to get into a Cal grad program if you went to cal. The largest cohort of students at the SPH were from Cal - something like 1/3 of the students in my discipline. I think the school has relatively stringent admissions standards though: 3.52 GPA and a 1300+ avg on the GRE.

I chose Cal over Hopkins UCLA, and Columbia. I couldn't have imagined a better experience anywhere else, it was by far the best educational experience of my life. PM me if you have specific questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mike

Is the 3.52/1300+ combo the average for Berkeley or the bare mimum?

exmike said:
I got my MPH from Berkeley in '03.

It is not true that it is harder to get into a Cal grad program if you went to cal. The largest cohort of students at the SPH were from Cal - something like 1/3 of the students in my discipline. I think the school has relatively stringent admissions standards though: 3.52 GPA and a 1300+ avg on the GRE.

I chose Cal over Hopkins UCLA, and Columbia. I couldn't have imagined a better experience anywhere else, it was by far the best educational experience of my life. PM me if you have specific questions.

What was your MPH in? I am an anthropology major, so I decided to do community health (I studied some of it in undergrad).

What's your opinion on combined MD/MPH programs-- I know you didn't take that route, but I'd like your opinion.

CaptainJack02 said:
Mike

Is the 3.52/1300+ combo the average for Berkeley or the bare mimum?

Hi,

This is the average accepted statistic, but I think the GRE is a little lower that Mike stated for this past year. According to UCB's website, they average around 75-76th percentile, which is about 1275. Does this help any?

I too got my MPH from Cal and would like to chime in that it is absolutely, in my opinion, the best location to study public health. Most classes are taught well, faculty support is tremendous, there are tons of campus resource, all at a locale that breathes liberalism. My program was really flexible and allowed me to take numerous courses in health politics, community health, etc. that are outside of my emphasis. Like exmike, I can't imagine getting a better experience than the one I got. PM me if you have any questions. Good luck!