MPH 2019: Applied, Waitlisted, Accepted!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey! Where do we find this on OPUS lol :sorry:. Is it supposed to be in the financial aid section?
Yep! Financial aid and then there was a new tab within that regarding awards. I don't think it had been there before.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey y'all, cool update from Emory's Epi department-- core epi/biostats classes next year will be taught jointly in SAS and R, rather than just SAS. I'm honestly a little jealous of the 2019 matriculating class!

Hope to see some of you next week at Visit Emory! :)
This is super exciting news since the Intro to R class conflicts with other electives I plan on taking, thanks for the update!

Reactions: 2 users
Perhaps you can just comment on that post on facebook directly/email them to ask? It was awkward clicking on the link they provided and did not find the information that they were ranked #4....
Yeah, that was my next plan. I just wanted to see if anyone here knew anything about it first :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everybody, so I know romantic relationships have been discussed on here a couple of times, and I feel like I'd like to share. I have decided to commit to UW for Epi (So excited!) I have been in a relationship with my current partner for a year and a half, and I went into this application process knowing that we wanted to end up in the same location. He is graduating in May, and has been applying for software engineering jobs across the country. I fell in love with Washington, my parents and sister live there, and Seattle is a huge tech hub, so we thought it would be a perfect place for us.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, and I find out that his only job offer is in New York City and he is planning on taking it. I have an offer at Columbia, and so he expected me to follow him to NYC, since it's a great school in a city full of opportunity. As much as I love him and value our relationship, I love being around family and I absolutely fell in love with UW's program. After weeks of going in circles about this all, he wasn't willing to follow me to Seattle or commit to a long distance relationship. Neither of us were willing to compromise on what was most important to us, so we've parted ways. I see grad school as a huge step in my life and something I need to be absolutely in love with. I need to be able to wake up every day and know that I'm in a city I adore and at an institution that can help me reach my goals.

So my message to you all is to really listen to your heart through this whole process. Don't solely focus on names or rankings, and don't be afraid to go to the school you feel is right for YOU. I came very close to accepting a school for all the wrong reasons. This process has been the most stressful, tear inducing, depressing, and confusing things I have ever gone through. But at the end of the day, I am happy and at peace with my decision, and I hope that this might help some people here relate.

Reactions: 27 users
Please does anyone know any helpful stuff about Texas A&M MPH. I got admitted there, I am super confused don't know if I should accept their offer, I was also admitted at UMN MPH. I need advice please

Hey everybody, so I know romantic relationships have been discussed on here a couple of times, and I feel like I'd like to share. I have decided to commit to UW for Epi (So excited!) I have been in a relationship with my current partner for a year and a half, and I went into this application process knowing that we wanted to end up in the same location. He is graduating in May, and has been applying for software engineering jobs across the country. I fell in love with Washington, my parents and sister live there, and Seattle is a huge tech hub, so we thought it would be a perfect place for us.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, and I find out that his only job offer is in New York City and he is planning on taking it. I have an offer at Columbia, and so he expected me to follow him to NYC, since it's a great school in a city full of opportunity. As much as I love him and value our relationship, I love being around family and I absolutely fell in love with UW's program. After weeks of going in circles about this all, he wasn't willing to follow me to Seattle or commit to a long distance relationship. Neither of us were willing to compromise on what was most important to us, so we've parted ways. I see grad school as a huge step in my life and something I need to be absolutely in love with. I need to be able to wake up every day and know that I'm in a city I adore and at an institution that can help me reach my goals.

So my message to you all is to really listen to your heart through this whole process. Don't solely focus on names or rankings, and don't be afraid to go to the school you feel is right for YOU. I came very close to accepting a school for all the wrong reasons. This process has been the most stressful, tear inducing, depressing, and confusing things I have ever gone through. But at the end of the day, I am happy and at peace with my decision, and I hope that this might help some people here relate.

It takes a lot to be vulnerably honest.
Thank you. I’m sorry but I know (and pray) good things will come your way.
What’s meant to be, will be. :)

Reactions: 8 users
It takes a lot to be vulnerably honest.
Thank you. I’m sorry but I know (and pray) good things will come your way.
What’s meant to be, will be. :)
Thank you so much! This community has shown so much support to one another, it's a truly beautiful thing. It's important that we recognize the struggles and the sacrifices that are being made behind this webpage. On the surface, it's filled with excitement and success, but we're all people who are going through so much. And it's okay to not always be okay throughout this process. Grad school is going to make us all unbelievably stronger in so many unexpected ways!

Reactions: 7 users

So glad that you were able to make the best choice for yourself and your life. You're going to have a great career!

Just a note, though, that this may not be the path for everyone and that you shouldn't feel bad for having different priorities. This especially holds true for non-traditional students who may already have families or committed partners. While I still plan on succeeding in my career, my husband and his goals will always play a part in my decisions since we are a team. However, it MUST be a two-way street when there are two career-driven people involved!

Reactions: 11 users
So glad that you were able to make the best choice for yourself and your life. You're going to have a great career!

Just a note, though, that this may not be the path for everyone and that you shouldn't feel bad for having different priorities. This especially holds true for non-traditional students who may already have families or committed partners. While I still plan on succeeding in my career, my husband and his goals will always play a part in my decisions since we are a team. However, it MUST be a two-way street when there are two career-driven people involved!

Yes, of course! It's all about being true to what is most important for YOU. Everybody is different and has different situations. And you are absolutely correct that it must be a two way street. How incredibly lucky you are that you have a partner who is committed to you and your success as much as you are to his! I just hope that I am lucky enough to one day find that for myself. I appreciate you sharing and I wish you two the best of luck!

Reactions: 8 users
What are your thoughts on the new SPH rankings??? It is making me suuuper anxious--I applied to Emory, UMN, and Michigan, but I wasn't considering Emory strongly because I'd rather be in Minneapolis or Ann Arbor than Atlanta. BUT NOW UMN is down at 10 and Emory is 5th??? Do yall think the rankings are actually important or am I stressed for no reason?

--> I also realize that I have great options to choose from and I'm really lucky to be able to weigh them all equally so I probably AM stressed for no reason, but I'm wondering how much weight the rankings should have in my decision

Members don't see this ad :)
What are your thoughts on the new SPH rankings??? It is making me suuuper anxious--I applied to Emory, UMN, and Michigan, but I wasn't considering Emory strongly because I'd rather be in Minneapolis or Ann Arbor than Atlanta. BUT NOW UMN is down at 10 and Emory is 5th??? Do yall think the rankings are actually important or am I stressed for no reason?

--> I also realize that I have great options to choose from and I'm really lucky to be able to weigh them all equally so I probably AM stressed for no reason, but I'm wondering how much weight the rankings should have in my decision
From some professors I've talked with, you can't go wrong with any of the schools listed in the USNWR's "Public Health Rankings" top 10 (they aren't very good in determining the overall quality of the institution anyway). Any of those 3 schools are widely respected in public health within the US (though the Emory may better known among global health agencies). It boils down to the strengths of each individual school. I'm not familiar with Michigan or UMN, but here are some examples with the schools I'm considering.

For infectious disease, global health, and opportunities at the CDC, you want to go to Emory. GWU is not as "highly ranked" as the other schools I'm considering, but it is an amazing school for non-CDC related federal careers. WashU is your go if you are interested in social policy and directly addressing community health inequalities. Etc.

Reactions: 6 users
From some professors I've talked with, you can't go wrong with any of the schools listed in the USNWR's "Public Health Rankings" top 10 (they aren't very good in determining the overall quality of the institution anyway). Any of those 3 schools are widely respected in public health within the US (though the Emory may better known among global health agencies). It boils down to the strengths of each individual school. I'm not familiar with Michigan or UMN, but here are some examples with the schools I'm considering.

For infectious disease, global health, and opportunities at the CDC, you want to go to Emory. GWU is not as "highly ranked" as the other schools I'm considering, but it is an amazing school for non-CDC related federal careers. WashU is your go if you are interested in social policy and directly addressing community health inequalities. Etc.

thank you!! that's very helpful

I'm also struggling with this kind of decision but mostly relating to costs. I've been accepted into Michigan, BU, and Emory but they've unfortunately given me less money than I hoped. I also was accepted to Ohio State, which fell to 23 on the rankings this year for MPH, and I received a Fellowship from them that will cover my entire first year costs. I'm definitely thrilled and lucky to have gotten a fellowship and accepted into the other schools, but it is difficult to say no to programs that are so highly ranked (like Michigan, Emory, etc.)

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I'm going to admit days at Columbia/Yale next weekend, but the relatively paltry financial aid I've been offered pretty much everywhere is pushing me toward the public schools, probably UCLA or UNC. I'm OOS at both, but they seem to have much better opportunities for tuition remission via teaching or research assistantships than my other options — I guess a larger undergraduate population will do that for ya. I'd love to go to Brown and get two degrees in two years, but I'm still debating medical school or maybe a Ph.D. afterward and really don't need interest to accrue on a ~$120,000 loan for six years before I can pay it off.

That said, am I dumb for leaning toward UCLA over UNC? Just not sure I can see myself in North Carolina. Maybe they'll win me over when I visit, but I really liked UCLA's vibe when I visited a week or so ago.

Stats for the curious:
GPA: 3.79 GRE: V166 Q158 A4.0
Interested in: Health Policy
Applied/Applying: UCLA, Emory, Boston, Columbia, Yale, UNC, Brown (MPH/MPA)
Accepted: UCLA, Emory+$, Boston+$, Columbia, Yale, UNC, Brown+$

Both UCLA and UNC have great programs, so either choice would be wonderful. If you're in LA, you'll have more career opportunities in the surrounding West Los Angeles area.

Honestly rankings don't matter so wherever you feel is the best fit for you. As well as your interests in terms of faculty/research opportunities and the courses offered at the universities

Reactions: 4 users
I'f
I'm also struggling with this kind of decision but mostly relating to costs. I've been accepted into Michigan, BU, and Emory but they've unfortunately given me less money than I hoped. I also was accepted to Ohio State, which fell to 23 on the rankings this year for MPH, and I received a Fellowship from them that will cover my entire first year costs. I'm definitely thrilled and lucky to have gotten a fellowship and accepted into the other schools, but it is difficult to say no to programs that are so highly ranked (like Michigan, Emory, etc.)

I'd probably scoop that Ohio State offer. Just my two cents, but when I look into the future, knowing i've saved tens of thousands of dollars will mean more to me than the name of the school i've gone to.

Honestly rankings don't matter so wherever you feel is the best fit for you. As well as your interests in terms of faculty/research opportunities and the courses offered at the universities

I'f

I'd probably scoop that Ohio State offer. Just my two cents, but when I look into the future, knowing i've saved tens of thousands of dollars will mean more to me than the name of the school i've gone to.

I definitely agree that rankings can be overrated and I am pretty sure I'll be attending OSU (just waiting on one school to finalize financial aid). I think I had fallen into the trap of giving too much weight to prestigiousness while ignoring what actually benefits me personally from each institution

Reactions: 3 users

I did think about the new rankings. I also thought that whichever school I attend, I will still get a great education and a MPH that I want/need for my future goals. Based on my situation, UC’s offered me better financial packages than the “top” private schools. So, I plan to invest in the school that will also invest in me and coincidently my top choice really does feel right regardless of its new ranking :’)

I've officially confirmed my admission to Emory, and paid my admission deposit!

Reactions: 17 users
Did anyone heard back from Emory’s Institutional Awards? Just wondering if they are still in the process of reviewing applications

Reactions: 1 users
Thoughts on Johns Hopkins vs Yale?
Having a hard time deciding...

Reactions: 5 users
For anyone attending Harvard's Admitted Student's Day on Friday - would you mind sending me your thoughts/comments/impressions? I won't be able to attend :(

See you there! Im going to the Epidemiology department!
Me, too! I originally applied for CHS, but then routed to Epi to build more quantitatively since my background is more qualitative already. Let me know if you ever want to connect about program details. I'm still trying to navigate some things and get a better feel myself.

Just received some funding from the Biostatistics department at UCLA!!! It was already my first choice so I'm feeling overjoyed, especially since I thought the scholarship ship had sailed a long time ago. It'll cover about half of my (in-state) tuition, so that will DEFINITELY help offset the ridiculous cost of living in Westwood.

Edit: I hope others get this same offer too! I believe each department gives out this award to a few incoming students.

Reactions: 10 users
Just received some funding from the Biostatistics department at UCLA!!! It was already my first choice so I'm feeling overjoyed, especially since I thought the scholarship ship had sailed a long time ago. It'll cover about half of my (in-state) tuition, so that will DEFINITELY help offset the ridiculous cost of living in Westwood.

Edit: I hope others get this same offer too! I believe each department gives out this award to a few incoming students.

Congrats! That's an awesome achievement, especially from a public university!

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone heard back from Emory’s Institutional Awards? Just wondering if they are still in the process of reviewing applications
Not yet! I emailed financial aid about it and they said to email admissions. Which I haven't done- I might wait until Visit Emory to ask.

Just an update to anyone who applied to USC (California), I emailed them asking on an update of my application and 10 minutes later they sent a decision letter. So if anyone is still waiting email them lol

If you're going to Visit Emory: some of us are meeting up on Saturday morning for breakfast at Ria's Bluebird. It's downtown and by a MARTA station so you'd get to see lots of Atlanta's downtown area after if you want to. If you'd like to join us, let me or @JDGBruin1317 know and we'll add you to our facebook group!

Even if you can't make breakfast but would like to meet for drinks sometime in the evening during Visit Emory, feel free to message us :)

Excited to finally meet some of you excellent, supportive people!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
If you're going to Visit Emory: some of us are meeting up on Saturday morning for breakfast at Ria's Bluebird. It's downtown and by a MARTA station so you'd get to see lots of Atlanta's downtown area after if you want to. If you'd like to join us, let me or @JDGBruin1317 know and we'll add you to our facebook group!

Even if you can't make breakfast but would like to meet for drinks sometime in the evening during Visit Emory, feel free to message us :)

That sounds great, but unfortunately, I'm leaving Friday evening. Drinks at some point sounds great though. If anyone's meeting up Wednesday night, Thursday, or Friday, let me know!

That sounds great, but unfortunately, I'm leaving Friday evening. Drinks at some point sounds great though. If anyone's meeting up Wednesday night, Thursday, or Friday, let me know!
I can still add you, if you'd like! There seems to be a willingness to meet up at different times during the Visit Days, including on Thursday and Friday

I'd love to be added to the fb group :)

I am applying for mph for fall 2019. but i am a old graduate. I graduated from medical school 4 years ago. So should i still ask for lor from my college professors?? Or i have done two clinical rotation and research in the last 12 months , should i take lors from them?

I am applying for mph for fall 2019. but i am a old graduate. I graduated from medical school 4 years ago. So should i still ask for lor from my college professors?? Or i have done two clinical rotation and research in the last 12 months , should i take lors from them?
Since it has been a few years since you graduated med school, I believe your LOR's can be from current supervisors, former mentors, attending physicians you've developed a relationship with, and if you're still in contact with professors and/or physicians from your med school, by all means include them! Good luck!

Aw man, anyone else bummed they can't make it!? Feeling mad left out! It sounds like you guys will have an amazing time! Wishing everyone safe flights and a productive trip!

I'll be there Wed night - Sat morning. I'm staying with current students through the Housing Match. Would love to meet folks! Traveling from CA.

I'll be there Wed night - Sat morning. I'm staying with current students through the Housing Match. Would love to meet folks! Traveling from CA.
Also traveling from CA. PM me and I’ll add you to the group!

Hi! It would be great if I can be added to Emory
I'd love to be added to the fb group :)
Hello! Could I also be added to this fb group? I am coming from Boston Wed (night)-Sat (evening)!
Wedesday

What are people's thought about NYU's MPH program? I saw a recent post from NYU website that they're ranked 4th (US news public health), but I don't know if that's true.
I am in between Emory and NYU for social behavior concentration.
I need help!!:)

Hi! It would be great if I can be added to Emory

Hello! Could I also be added to this fb group? I am coming from Boston Wed (night)-Sat (evening)!
Wedesday
I'll be staying until Saturday evening as well! PM me your FB!

What are people's thought about NYU's MPH program? I saw a recent post from NYU website that they're ranked 4th (US news public health), but I don't know if that's true.

That's very interesting...I see that they posted that on their website, but if you follow the link they posted, they're ranked 37, not 4 :eyebrow: So I'm not sure what ranking they're referring to. Not that rankings are the be-all-end-all, but personally I think Emory is the stronger program. But that's a very subjective thing, and factors like location and research interests will vary from person to person!

I am also in between NYU and Emory... I didn't get to go to admitted students day for NYU, so kind of taking a shot in the dark considering it... But they offered me financial aid and Emory didn't. Location is great, but program is newer. That's all I can offer haha.

For health management, would you all think Emory or UNC would be a stronger school? I was accepted to both and very minimal aid from Emory and haven't heard from UNC yet.

I would love to hear any insight from current/recent students or any one else considering these schools!!