MPH 2019: Applied, Waitlisted, Accepted!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I applied through sophas last year and got into all schools i applied to(jhu,columbia,emory, boston+$, drexel +$) and wait listed for Harvard. However i decided to defer my admission to JHU because i couldn't raise the necessary funds for tuition and also save some money. As an international student i am looking to reapply to a few good schools again this cycle, focusing on programs that give good scholarship packages. I would be grateful if anyone could assist me with which schools to look at.

Members don't see this ad.

AHHH SOPHAS is officially open starting today! Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!
Definitely excited for all of us :)

Reactions: 3 users
I had lower GRE scores, and a lower GRE, and was still accepted to Yale, so I would say you are fine on that front.
Thanks for your input, and best of luck with starting at Wisconsin!! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! Here are my stats:

Undergrad School
: UW-Madison (2017)
Undergrad GPA: 3.14
Major/Minor: Major: Economics with Math Emphasis; Minor: Mathematics and Global Health
GRE: V: 152 (56%), Q: 154 (55%), W: 4.5 (82%) (July 2018)
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
- Summer fieldwork in Spain and Morocco on Human Trafficking, which ended with a research paper and presentation
- 250+ hours volunteer experience with a local non-profit. Through the org, I helped organize two community health fairs in which I brought in doctors to provide blood pressure screening, diabetes screening, and mental health consultations for immigrants in the area. Also did other volunteering services such as tutoring.
-Went to Haiti with my school and a NPO in 2012 for a week after the earthquake to distribute necessities like food and clothing
-100 hours of volunteer experience at a org during summers of 2012-2015 in Bangladesh to distribute necessities such as food and clothing

LOR: 1. Professor who I went to the study abroad trip with in Spain and Morocco. I also took a class in which she was the professor. She is also a co-holder of the UNESCO chair at UW-Madison, 2. Professor who was a UW Madison poli sci undergraduate advisor. I took a class in which he was my instructor, 3. NPO administrator who I worked closely with to help organize the community health fairs.

Interests: MPH in health promotion/policy and management/community health/mental health/immigrant health

Applying: BU, Emory, GW, Harvard, Tulane, Rutgers, UT, USF, Minnesota, UCLA

Accepted:
UT Health (10/01)

I am a bit nervous due to my GPA and GRE scores. Also, I do not have clinical experience or direct public health clinic setting experience. I was wondering if you guys can tell me what my chances are. Would honesty appreciate it!

Last edited:

Undergrad School
Major/Minor: Major: Economics with Math Emphasis; Minor: Mathematics and Global Health
- Summer fieldwork in Spain and Morocco on Human Trafficking, which ended with a research paper and presentation
- 250+ hours volunteer experience with a local non-profit. Through the org, I helped organize two community health fairs in which I brought in doctors to provide blood pressure screening, diabetes screening, and mental health consultations for immigrants in the area. Also did other volunteering services such as tutoring.
-Went to Haiti with my school and a NPO in 2012 for a week after the earthquake to distribute necessities like food and clothing
-100 hours of volunteer experience at a org during summers of 2012-2015 in Bangladesh to distribute necessities such as food and clothing

LOR: 1. Professor who I went to the study abroad trip with in Spain and Morocco. I also took a class in which she was the professor. She is also a co-holder of the UNESCO chair at UW-Madison, 2. Professor who was a UW Madison poli sci undergraduate advisor. I took a class in which he was my instructor, 3. NPO administrator who I worked closely with to help organize the community health fairs.

Interests: MPH in health promotion/policy and management/community health/mental health/immigrant health

Applying: BU, Emory, GW, Harvard, Tulane, Rutgers, UT Austin, USF, Minnesota, UCLA

I am a bit nervous due to my GPA and GRE scores. Also, I do not have clinical experience or direct public health clinic setting experience. I was wondering if you guys can tell me what my chances are. Would honesty appreciate it!

You definitely have awesome public health experience! Don't sell yourself short!

If there's one thing I've learned from this website, it's that GPA and GRE really aren't everything for PH. As long as your letters are strong and your SOPs demonstrate your passion and dedication to the field, I think you will be a competitive applicant!

Reactions: 1 user

Undergrad School

Applying: BU, Emory, GW, Harvard, Tulane, Rutgers, UT Austin, USF, Minnesota, UCLA

I had very similar stats to yours and was able to get into a lot of top notch programs. Just make sure your personal statement conveys your passion.

On Wisconsin!

I had very similar stats to yours and was able to get into a lot of top notch programs. Just make sure your personal statement conveys your passion.

On Wisconsin!

Go Badgers! :D

Then do you think I should add more colleges to my application pool? Like John Hopkins. And if you don’t mind me asking, since you mentioned we have similar stats, what colleges did you get into?

Go Badgers! :D

Then do you think I should add more colleges to my application pool? Like John Hopkins. And if you don’t mind me asking, since you mentioned we have similar stats, what colleges did you get into?
JHU is a crap shot for most people, so if you want to spend the money, go for it! I was accepted to: Yale, Emory, Boston, Indiana, Nebraska, Pitt, Georgetown, Tulane, SLU, and Wisconsin.

Postgrad GPA: 3.81 (WES)
Major: Health Psychology ( A 5-year Integrated Masters from #3 University in India)
GRE: V: 160 (86%), Q: 153 (50%), W: 4.5
TOEFL: 109/120

- 1-year internship at an organization focussed on Child Rights ( My work here is centered around-School Dropouts, Menstrual health)
-6 months Health Psychology internship at a private hospital
-Worked as a Trainer and Field coordinator for residential camps that mentor adolescent girls coming from marginalized backgrounds on the topics- health, rights, safety, self-advocacy, leadership, and communication.
-Experience in Clinical assessments and curriculum development.
-An independent quantitative research study on- "Understanding the levels of student engagement and teacher efficacy in Government schools"

LOR: 2 From the Professors from my Postgrad, 1 from the Executive Director of the NGO

Interests: Global Health, Policy, program design and evaluation and implementation

Applying: Boston University, GWU, Georgia State, Rutgers, University of Alabama- Birmingham.

Soooo, what are my chances? And being an International student, do I have any chance of landing a scholarship?

Major: Health Psychology ( A 5-year Integrated Masters from #3 University in India)
GRE:
V: 160 (86%), Q: 153 (50%), W: 4.5

- 1-year internship at an organization focussed on Child Rights ( My work here is centered around-School Dropouts, Menstrual health)
-Worked as a Trainer and Field coordinator for residential camps that mentor adolescent girls coming from marginalized backgrounds on the topics- health, rights, safety, self-advocacy, leadership, and communication.
-An independent quantitative research study on- "Understanding the levels of student engagement and teacher efficacy in Government schools"

LOR: 2 From the Professors from my Postgrad, 1 from the Executive Director of the NGO

Interests: Global Health, Policy, program design and evaluation and implementation

Applying: Boston University, GWU, Georgia State, Rutgers, University of Alabama- Birmingham.

Soooo, what are my chances? And being an International student, do I have any chance of landing a scholarship?
You are selling yourself short. You will almost certainly get into all of those programs and should consider applying to more competitive ones. The only blip in your profile is your quant score, but even that is average (as opposed to low) so it's really nothing to worry about. I am not sure how to predict scholarship chances for international students. I'd suggest asking the programs up front what percentage of international students are awarded scholarships and how much scholarships are worth.

GRE:
V: 160 (86%), Q: 153 (50%), W: 4.5

By international student I assume you mean you are not an US citizen? In that cases, you are ineligible for most U.S. government scholarships bequested by the Us govt. itself or by the institution through government funding. You would still be eligible for scholarships from private institutions, foundations etc-but that's on a case by case basis. Some schools have scholarships specifically for international students.

You are selling yourself short. You will almost certainly get into all of those programs and should consider applying to more competitive ones. The only blip in your profile is your quant score, but even that is average (as opposed to low) so it's really nothing to worry about. I am not sure how to predict scholarship chances for international students. I'd suggest asking the programs up front what percentage of international students are awarded scholarships and how much scholarships are worth.

Hey, thanks for the response!
I am planning to apply for the spring term, and those are the decent schools that have spring admissions. I really want to start off asap but the options are so limited. I would ideally want to attend BU or GWU among those schools but I'm applying to UAB, Rutgers and GSU too, majorly because they are wayyy more affordable (both tuition and cost of living) and I might have a higher chances at securing a scholarship. Wouldnt I be a stronger candidate among the applicants since it's less competitive here? I don't know if it works that way , but my options are reallly restricted because of my choice of going for Spring :(

I wrote to all the schools about the scholarship but none of them gave me a definitive answer. Haven't heard much about it on this forum either.

(And about my quant score, trust me, that really is the max I could get :dead:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am planning to apply for the spring term, and those are the decent schools that have spring admissions. I really want to start off asap but the options are so limited. I would ideally want to attend BU or GWU among those schools but I'm applying to UAB, Rutgers and GSU too, majorly because they are wayyy more affordable (both tuition and cost of living) and I might have a higher chances at securing a scholarship. Wouldnt I be a stronger candidate among the applicants since it's less competitive here? I don't know if it works that way , but my options are reallly restricted because of my choice of going for Spring :(
Ohhhh I didn't realize you were doing Spring admissions. If you could wait until fall, I think you'd have many better options open to you. But I understand wanting to get started.

I had the same logic as you when I applied re: less competitive schools giving more scholarships. My experience didn't actually play out that way, though. The lower tier schools I applied to (Buffalo and Colorado) gave me way less money and ended up being more expensive than higher tier schools that gave me substantial scholarships (Brown, Minnesota). The most affordable option for me ended up being Drexel, which I would say is a mid-tier school and gave me essentially 75% off tuition. I think bigger and more competitive schools have the resources to offer more scholarships than smaller or less competitive ones. But I didn't apply to any of the schools you picked and was a domestic applicant, so I really don't know if any of this applies to you. I will say that I've heard Rutgers is trying to develop and expand their public health programming, so it's possible they'd be motivated to attract top students with more money. I'd keep them on your list but I'm not sure about UAB or GSU.

I can't believe it's already this time of the year! The summer flew by so fast o_O

Undergrad School:
Marquette University (graduated May 2017)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.508 / 3.778 (will likely change in SOPHAS due to taking summer classes at other universities)
Graduate GPA: 4.00 (one intro epidemiology course)
Major: Anthropology
Minors: Biomedical Science, Health Studies, Culture/Health/Illness
GRE: V: 157, Q: 158, W: 4.0 (summer 2016) would like to retake if I find the time/money
Experience:
- 2 years volunteer HIV counselor/lab assistant at a local clinic serving members of the LGBTQ+ community (part-time)
- 1 academic year as a peer health educator on campus (part-time)
- 5 months as a facilitator/program assistant for an education program teaching teens about sexual health, healthy relationships, financial literacy, college and career prep, etc. (part-time with another job at same organization to make 40 hrs/week)
- 4 months as a public health educator with the Peace Corps in west Africa (full-time)
- currently an AmeriCorps VISTA volunteer working with substance abuse prevention and HIV/STD prevention, especially targeting Alaska Native/American Indian youth and LGBTQ2+ members--will complete 1 year of service in June 2019 (full-time)
Research:
- 1 summer as a research assistant in a lab diagnosing parasites in human samples (full-time) - culminated in 2 posters and 1 presentation
- ongoing/sporadic 3 years as a research assistant on projects related to anthropology/historical epidemiology/demography, infectious diseases - culminated in several presentations at regional, national, and international conferences (maybe 1 publication, we'll see)

LOR: 1) my anthropology research advisor/mentor; 2) a biomedical professor who oversaw my other research position and taught a few of my classes; 3) my academic advisor

Interests: epidemiology, global health, infectious disease (esp. HIV and STIs); I am also applying to anthropology graduate programs, which has definitely impacted my list of schools

Applying: Brown University (epi + anthropology), Case Western University (population health research + anth + global health), Emory University (glepi + anth), University of Arizona (epi + anth), University of Florida (epi + anth), University of South Florida (epi + global communicable disease + anth), and University of Washington (epi + anth)

Ohhhh I didn't realize you were doing Spring admissions. If you could wait until fall, I think you'd have many better options open to you. But I understand wanting to get started.

I had the same logic as you when I applied re: less competitive schools giving more scholarships. My experience didn't actually play out that way, though. The lower tier schools I applied to (Buffalo and Colorado) gave me way less money and ended up being more expensive than higher tier schools that gave me substantial scholarships (Brown, Minnesota). The most affordable option for me ended up being Drexel, which I would say is a mid-tier school and gave me essentially 75% off tuition. I think bigger and more competitive schools have the resources to offer more scholarships than smaller or less competitive ones. But I didn't apply to any of the schools you picked and was a domestic applicant, so I really don't know if any of this applies to you. I will say that I've heard Rutgers is trying to develop and expand their public health programming, so it's possible they'd be motivated to attract top students with more money. I'd keep them on your list but I'm not sure about UAB or GSU.

Right, lower tier schools would have fewer resources and much less to offer. That does make a lot of sense. Earlier I wanted to apply to Fall and Spring 2019 simultaneously, but I might not hear back from the schools about the Fall acceptances on time even if I apply as early as September.
What top tier schools do you think I might have a chance at?

Right, lower tier schools would have fewer resources and much less to offer. That does make a lot of sense. Earlier I wanted to apply to Fall and Spring 2019 simultaneously, but I might not hear back from the schools about the Fall acceptances on time even if I apply as early as September.
What top tier schools do you think I might have a chance at?
Since you already have a Masters, significant relevant experience, and good stats, there's really nothing that'd be closed off for you in terms of admission. I'd recommend choosing 1-2 higher tier schools based on how faculty's interests align with yours. Since we're not in the same area of public health, I can't make any real recommendations. From the forum, though, I know that the following schools (which I would say are mid tier in terms of competitiveness but mostly high tier in terms of quality) have a good reputation for scholarship dollars (but again, idk about international applicants): Emory, BU, GWU, Drexel, NYU, Tulane, Minnesota. I think it's less likely you'd get $$ from Harvard, Hopkins, etc., but I can't say anything for certain.

Undergrad School: Large State School (Graduating in December)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.17 (rough freshmen year)
Major/Minor: Public Health / Global Poverty
GRE: V: 155 (69%), Q: 160(74%), W: TBA (August 2018)
Experience/Research:

- 2 years working with faculty within the School of Public Health (multiple community-based and on-site projects)
- 1 summer internship at the National Cancer Institute w/ culminating poster presentation at the NIH main campus
- co-author of 2 publications (1 manuscript and 1 chapter)
-won 1st and 3rd place in two departments specifically at the Undergrad Research Poster Event at my campus
-Former president of a social/economic rights student organization on campus
-Philanthropy Chair for another student org on campus
-Worked part time on campus

LOR: one from the mentor at the School of Public Health, another from a former professor in class I performed well in, and another from my senior capstone professor (for my later apps) or another professor
Interests: MPH in Environmental Health, Risk Assessment, Global Health, Infectious Disease Epidemiology

Applying: Harvard (SM), Yale (MPH), Cornell (MPH), University of Maryland (MPH), GWU (MPH), Michigan (MPH)

Worried about my low GPA so my reach schools might be high reaches but I think I have a good chance at UMD because of my connections with faculty who I hear might be part of the admissions committee.

Thanks and good luck to everyone else as well!

Undergrad School: Large State School (Graduating in December)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.17 (rough freshmen year)
Major/Minor: Public Health / Global Poverty
GRE: V: 155 (69%), Q: 160(74%), W: TBA (August 2018)
Experience/Research:

- 2 years working with faculty within the School of Public Health (multiple community-based and on-site projects)
- 1 summer internship at the National Cancer Institute w/ culminating poster presentation at the NIH main campus
- co-author of 2 publications (1 manuscript and 1 chapter)
-won 1st and 3rd place in two departments specifically at the Undergrad Research Poster Event at my campus
-Former president of a social/economic rights student organization on campus
-Philanthropy Chair for another student org on campus
-Worked part time on campus

LOR: one from the mentor at the School of Public Health, another from a former professor in class I performed well in, and another from my senior capstone professor (for my later apps) or another professor
Interests: MPH in Environmental Health, Risk Assessment, Global Health, Infectious Disease Epidemiology

Applying: Harvard (SM), Yale (MPH), Cornell (MPH), University of Maryland (MPH), GWU (MPH), Michigan (MPH)

Worried about my low GPA so my reach schools might be high reaches but I think I have a good chance at UMD because of my connections with faculty who I hear might be part of the admissions committee.

Thanks and good luck to everyone else as well!

I think you'll definitely get into GWU as well as UMD!
Your GRE scores are (especially Q, which I've heard most programs care more about) and your experience is awesome! I think you'll definitely get into a few of your reach schools given the holistic review.

Good luck!

Hey everyone! Since I went through this last year, I have a few tips:

1. Admittance into almost all programs is HIGH. Thus, as long as you're shooting for schools within a reasonable range of your experiences, you will get in somewhere (or, more likely, almost everywhere). So, along those lines, you may as well aim high!

2. Don't compare yourself too heavily with others for admission purposes-- we all have our own unique stories and paths to public health. This is also true in real life-- if you're constantly comparing yourself and putting yourself down, how to you expect to grow positively as a person?

3. A longer wait doesn't mean you're rejected. Some schools will send out their first admissions in November, and others in April. Don't get too attached to a school early in the game if you're still waiting on others!

4. For most places, scholarships are hard to get and wildly unpredictable. Each school weighs factors differently, so it's hard to assess. Decide how much debt you're comfortable taking on asap.

5. Rankings are helpful for getting an idea of how schools are viewed, but don't tell the whole story. You're unique. Each school is unique. Just because you get into Hopkins or Harvard doesn't mean you have to go there-- go where you fit! My parents, friends, coworkers, etc were all urging me to pick an ivy or JH, but after visiting Emory I was 100% sure that it was the right place for me.

6. Enjoy the ride! You're faced with one of the biggest decisions of your life, but also one of the most important. Embrace the excitement and celebrate your wins!

Sincerely,
Someone who was way too active on the thread last year, but is now about to start her MPH and picked the perfect school for her (note: not everybody else!), got her dream internship at the CDC, and is very happy!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
I love the support that this group has resonated already!

As someone applying fresh from undergrad with a B.S in Public Health, do you think my chances would be slightly lower than others who are applying after years of experience/graduate degrees? I've seen that some school require experience for their MPH while others do not. Essentially, is applying to a top tier school like Harvard for an Masters of Science counter-intuitive than say applying for an MPH at another university if I see both as terminal degrees?

Undergrad School: A top 5 public school, graduated this spring
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.99
Major/Minor: Molecular Biology
GRE: V: 170, Q: 168, W: 5.0
Experience/Research:
-lab tech for a summer in chronic disease related wet lab
-research assistant for a few months at my university in the psych department
-am a tutor in biology and high school math
-2+ years volunteer work at animal rescues
-research class for my major
-have been self studying computer science and math (currently linear algebra) since graduating to improve those skills
-volunteering at food pantry

LOR: 3 professors : 1 was a professor that I knew well. Another was a professor for a small seminar research class who is thus familiar with my research/presentation/paper-writing skills. The other is a professor I don't know that well, but I did exceptionally well in the class.

Interests: Epi, biostats, bioinformatics. Would love a career where I could help advance science, but do so primarily from a computer as opposed to a wet lab.

Applied: Berkeley Epi/Biostats MPH, Emory Epi MPH, UCLA Biostats MPH, UW Genetic Epidemiology MS

Accepted: UCLA, Emory, UW
Rejected: None! (so far...)

Notes: also applying to Bioinformatics MS programs

Last edited:
Obviously my stats are going to be the "high point" of my application, since my experience is pretty weak and not super public-health related (I'm so impressed reading what everyone else on this thread has done...). I'm definitely concerned about affordability so am hoping for some sort of merit scholarship to take care of some of the cost, but I'm not sure whether that's likely and if so, how much money that would actually offer.
I need to continue to research career options to see what the best path for me is - I've struggled *a lot* with figuring out what career I want. My biggest fear is finishing an expensive masters program and then still not being able to find a job I enjoy. However, I don't see any harm in turning in a few applications for programs that look interesting, since I'm going to have my rec letters rounded up already. I can make the hard choices once I have my acceptances. Best of luck to everyone!

From what I've seen, merit scholarships tend to be based on stats and are way less holistic than admissions-- I think you have a good shot. I will say that public institutions tend to be more stingy than private ones for Master's scholarships. Consider looking at some Ivy's or Hopkins, maybe? I don't know exactly what to suggest because our interests are really different.

Also, what you've chosen (bioinformatics, biostats, quant-focused epi) are all going to give you some great transferable skills. Don't feel like what you pick for a Master's program from these options is going to define your career. It'll just give you a starting point.

From what I've
seen, merit scholarships tend to be based on stats and are way less holistic than admissions-- I think you have a good shot. I will say that public institutions tend to be more stingy than private ones for Master's scholarships. Consider looking at some Ivy's or Hopkins, maybe? I don't know exactly what to suggest because our interests are really different.

Also, what you've chosen (bioinformatics, biostats, quant-focused epi) are all going to give you some great transferable skills. Don't feel like what you pick for a Master's program from these options is going to define your career. It'll just give you a starting point.

Thank so much for this info! I had been focusing on public schools because I viewed them as more affordable, but I had forgotten that scholarships might be more plentiful elsewhere. Based on a quick search of private schools, Brown and Emory look very prospective (I love that Emory is so close to the CDC!).

I do have a weird criterion that make me want to rule out some top schools like Harvard, Boston, JHU, and Columbia - I really fell in love with the beautiful bustling campus at my undergrad school, and I'd like to experience that again in grad school. When I searched the location of a lot of Public Health schools, I was sad to find that many were across town from the main campus, off in a dreary medical complex with no greenery, no old architecture, and an altogether different "feel" than the corresponding university. I won't let it be the deciding factor, but with so many public health schools to choose from, environment is something I'm taking seriously into account.

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Boston University (2016)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.25 / 3.18 (Currently doing Post-Bac Classes)
Major/Minor: Human Physiology / Medical Anthropology
GRE: V: 155 (69%), Q: 156 (61%), W: 4.0 (August 2017)
- 2 years working as a senior medical assistant at prestigious hospital
- 6-Month global health internship in New Zealand studying indigenous population
- Week-long work with Global Medical Brigades in Honduras

LOR: 1. Vice-chair of medical anthropology (Took a class with him), 2. Current supervisor at hospital, 3. Hospital physician who I work closely with.

Interests: MPH in global / community health eventually becoming a physician assistant

Applying: BU, Columbia, Emory, GW, JHSPH, Harvard, NYU, NYMC, Brown, UPenn, Yale

Am I reaching too high? Thoughts on getting accepted?

You're fine. BU, GW, NY, NYMC, UPenn and Brown for sure. Probably Columbia. JHU, Harvard and Yale are toss-ups.

Hi everyone! After somewhat obsessively reading these threads over the last couple of years I'm excited to finally actually be applying this year!

Undergrad School: Big 10 School
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.56 / 3.72
Major/Minor: Anthropology / Spanish and International Studies
GRE: Q: 167 (91%) V: 169V (99%) W: 5 (92%)
* Currently working abroad as a program advisor with Jhpiego (6 months)
* 2 years as Peace Corps Health Volunteer: focused primarily on HIV prevention with adolescents, served on HIV committee and attended international PC HIV conference, other leadership roles
* 6 months as Biometric Screener/Health Educator
* Undergraduate thesis in medical anthropology about the role of traditional healers in HIV interventions (won best social science thesis award)
* 1 year as Clinic Intern at university health center; internship also included outreach component where I led a team in implementing a healthy sleeping habits campaign on campus
* 5 months as Mobile Health Clinic Volunteer in South Africa during a semester abroad (included working in HIV testing/counseling and preventive education)
* Volunteer health education trip to the Dominican Republic (1 week)
* Etc. A couple hundred hours volunteering in hospitals, a few clubs (and leadership roles) in college relating to public health or international studies, volunteered as a tutor abroad and with low-literacy adults in the US

LOR: Current supervisor, Peace Corps program manager, undergraduate thesis advisor

Special Factors: Will be applying to Peace Corps Coverdell Fellowship and Flas Fellowships (Foreign Language and Area Studies) where available

Interests: Global Health and social & behavioral/sociomedical sciences with focus on adolescent health

Applying (verified*): Emory - GH (11/15); Johns Hopkins - MPH (11/6), Columbia - SMS (11/6); BU - GH (11/10), George Washington - GH (11/10), Harvard - HSB (11/10), Yale - SBS (11/10), UNC - GH (11/19)
*third LOR submitted 11/29, after verification

Accepted: Johns Hopkins MPH (11/20) w/ $8K Coverdell Scholarship; George Washington (11/21) w/ $32K Coverdell; BU (12/17) w/ 25% off tuition + Flas Fellowship (33k); UNC (12/20) w/ full tuition, insurance, stipend & RA position (1st year); Columbia (1/23), Emory (1/29) 75% off tuition + 10K REAL; Harvard (2/21) w/ FLAS Fellowship (Full tuition + stipend for year 1); Yale (3/5) w/ 50% off tuition total (Peace Corps & Merit Scholarships)

Rejected: None

Attending: Harvard :biglove:

Last edited:
Hi everyone! After somewhat obsessively reading these threads over the last couple of years I'm excited to finally actually be applying this year!

Undergrad School: Big 10 School
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.55 / 3.6
Major/Minor: Anthropology / Spanish and International Studies
GRE: Taking 9/22 (Magoosh estimates: 158+ Q, 161+ V :xf:)
* Currently working abroad as an Adolescent-Friendly Health Services Advisor with Jhpiego (6 months)
* 2 years as Peace Corps Health Extension Volunteer: focused primarily on HIV prevention with adolescents, served on HIV committee and attended international PC HIV conference, other leadership roles
* 6 months as Biometric Screener/Health Educator
* Undergraduate thesis in medical anthropology about the role of traditional healers in HIV interventions (won best social science thesis award)
* 1 year as Clinic Intern at university health center; internship also included outreach component where I led a team in implementing a healthy sleeping habits campaign on campus
* 5 months as Mobile Health Clinic Volunteer in South Africa during a semester abroad (included working in HIV testing/counselling and preventive education)
* Volunteer health education trip to the Dominican Republic (1 week)
* Etc. A couple hundred hours volunteering in hospitals, a few clubs (and leadership roles) in college relating to public health or international studies, volunteered as a tutor abroad and with low-literacy adults in the US

LOR: Current supervisor, Peace Corps program manager, undergraduate thesis advisor

Special Factors: Will be applying to Peace Corps Coverdell Fellowship where available

Interests
: MPH with a global health focus (still undecided on exact programs/concentrations at each school)

Applying: Emory, Johns Hopkins, Columbia, BU, George Washington, Harvard, Yale

Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:

I would ideally like to narrow down my school list some more, but I'm very indecisive. I'm being similarly indecisive about applying to global health programs or choosing programs with a more concrete focus/skill set.

Any input is appreciated!
You're fine...will get into at least some of the schools on your list. I'd go for hard skills over ~broad~ topical global health themes. You can always read those books later on. It's harder to teach yourself actual skills and will be more favorably reviewed by employers-the ultimate goal of this after all!

So I'm reposting my stats because a lot has changed since I last posted it. I changed my mind on the schools I applied to, and I've started receiving admission decisions. Here goes.

Undergrad School: International student
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.12
Major/Minor: Medicine and Surgery (I'm a practicing medical doctor)
GRE: V: 159 (83%), Q: 157 (65%), W: 4.0 (June 2018)
*144hrs of volunteer work and president of the health subgroup of the community development service group of the National Youth corp in my country. We organize rural health outreaches and community awareness campaigns on health issues.
*volunteer at an NGO that works to increase public awareness on mental health and reduce stigma associated with mental illnesses.
*I worked as the corp medical director overseeing the camp clinic of the Youth Corp which serviced about 3,000 people during the one month camping exercise.
*Took part in several rural medical outreaches as a medical student.

LOR: 1 from a Community Medicine Prof at my school, 1 Psychiatry Consultant, 1 from my supervisor where I currently work.

Interests: My key area of interest is child and adolescent mental health. I fancy myself working with top international organizations like the WHO. Hoping to do work on children involved in conflicts and other adverse life events. I also want to study the relationship between environmental factors in early life and development of mental illnesses

Applied : Harvard (Health Behaviour) 11/29; University of Kentucky (Health, Behavior and Society) 11/29; University of North Carolina (Health Behaviour) 12/07; East Tennessee State University (Community Health) 12/11

Accepted: ETSU 12/20, UNC 12/20
Rejected:

Last edited:
Hi all! I was just wondering if I could get your input about my current part-time job. I've been working at a plasma donation center since January as a medical screener, and I am currently training on becoming a phlebotomist. My tasks as a medical screener include drawing very small samples of blood from donors' fingers to evaluate hematocrit and total protein, taking vitals, creating, updating, and verifying donor records, etc. I expect to be fully trained in phlebotomy by the end of the month. I was wondering if this is all considered to be "relevant public health experience". Thanks!

Hello everyone. I'm super anxious about my chances for admission, especially for scholarship positions.

Undergrad School
: International student
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.12 (WES just slapped an average grade for undergrad professional courses and haven't replied my queries)
Post-bacc: Currently running a certificate diploma in Terrorism, Security and Intelligence Studies in my country.
*144hrs of volunteer work and president of the health subgroup of the community development service group of the National Youth corp in my country. We organize rural health outreaches and community awareness campaigns on health issues.
*volunteer at an NGO that works to increase public awareness on mental health and reduce stigma associated with mental illnesses.
*I worked as the corp medical director overseeing the camp clinic of the Youth Corp which serviced about 3,000 people during the one month camping exercise.

LOR: I intend to get one from a Community Medicine Prof at my med school, who was also my project supervisor, two from Comm. Med. doctors at my school and one from a Psychiatrist I rotated under in Med school.

Interests: My key area of interest is child and adolescent mental health. I fancy myself working with top international organizations like the WHO. Hoping to do work on children involved in conflicts and other adverse life events. I also want to study the relationship between environmental factors in early life and development of mental illnesses
Applying: Yale (Social and Behavioral Science) and University of Kentucky (Health, Behavior and Society) are my two main targets for now. Harvard and Hopkins (coz you never know).

Notes: I REAAAAALLLLLLLY need scholarships. I also don't mind suggestions for schools who have faculty with interest in mental health.
If you're applying with the goal of getting scholarships, I'd recommend applying to a much broader list. There are no guarantees in the scholarship game-- especially for the schools (Hopkins, Harvard, Yale-- or any top 10/ivy) that you listed. Focus on making a compelling, unique narrative for your PS (especially if you can connect your interests with theirs) and getting strong letters. Good luck!

If you're applying with the goal of getting scholarships, I'd recommend applying to a much broader list. There are no guarantees in the scholarship game-- especially for the schools (Hopkins, Harvard, Yale-- or any top 10/ivy) that you listed. Focus on making a compelling, unique narrative for your PS (especially if you can connect your interests with theirs) and getting strong letters. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. Any suggestions on schools I could apply to? Considering my stats and all

Hello everyone. I'm super anxious about my chances for admission, especially for scholarship positions.

Undergrad School
: International student
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.12 (WES just slapped an average grade for undergrad professional courses and haven't replied my queries)
Post-bacc: Currently running a certificate diploma in Terrorism, Security and Intelligence Studies in my country.

LOR: I intend to get one from a Community Medicine Prof at my med school, who was also my project supervisor, two from Comm. Med. doctors at my school and one from a Psychiatrist I rotated under in Med school.

Applying: Yale (Social and Behavioral Science) and University of Kentucky (Health, Behavior and Society) are my two main targets for now. Harvard and Hopkins (coz you never know).

Notes: I REAAAAALLLLLLLY need scholarships. I also don't mind suggestions for schools who have faculty with interest in mental health.

Yale SPH is broke AF. Don't apply there if you need a scholarship. I'd take a more serious look at Hopkins - they have $$ and like MDs in their MPH program.

Thanks
Yale SPH is broke AF. Don't apply there if you need a scholarship. I'd take a more serious look at Hopkins - they have $$ and like MDs in their MPH program.

OMG :(.Thanks for the heads up. I'll review my options accordingly

Undergrad School: Small Private Liberal Arts College
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.95 (Cumulative), 3.97 (Science)
Major/Minor: Biology (Pre-Med)
GRE (including date taken): Taken 7/26/18 - Q: 149 (42%) V: 156 (61%) W: 4.0 (59%)
  1. 7 months - Research involving studying the effects of photoisomerizable cancer drugs in Drosophila melanogaster - will be presenting at two conferences in spring of 2019.
  2. 4 months - Organic chemistry research creating photoisomerizable cancer drugs.
  3. 7 years - Volunteering off/on with a non-profit organization who provides teeth cleanings to those who cannot afford insurance - 70 hours.
  4. 1 year - Member of Global Medical Brigades - went on a medical mission trip to Nicaragua - secretary of chapter.
  5. 1 semester - Chemistry teaching assistant.
  6. 3 years - College volleyball student-athlete.
  7. 3 years - Student Athletic Advisory Committee representative for volleyball team - 40 volunteer hours.
  8. 3 years - Member of the Institute for Healthcare Professions at my college - a part of the Healthcare Honor's Fraternity (Alpha Epsilon Delta).
  9. 3 years - Honor's Program at my college.
  10. 70 hours - Shadowing various physicians.
  11. Certified phlebotomist/CPR certified.
  12. 3 years - Member of Delta Gamma Fraternity - Director of Scholarship/Honor Board Member - 50 hours volunteering.
  13. In progress (due in May 2019) - Honor's thesis on research.
LORs:
(1) Research Advisor
(2) Professor and Healthcare Institute Advisor
(3) Volleyball Coach
(4)? Should I ask someone from volunteer work to write one??

Interested in: University of Michigan Hospital and Molecular Epidemiology, University of Michigan Global Health, Michigan State University, Yale Chronic Disease Epidemiology, and Columbia General Epidemiology.

Applied: Applying hopefully by October 1st.
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

University of Michigan is my dream school. My plans are to complete an MPH before applying to medical schools. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Does anybody think I am applying to schools out of my league?

Your GPA is stellar, but your quant GRE is low. Since you're interested in epi, that's a bit of a risk. Michigan, Yale, and Columbia are some of the most selective schools, so it's smart that you've kept Michigan State in there as your safety. The only question I have is why you'd have a volleyball coach write you a letter of recommendation for this sort of program. If you were studying something athletics related, that'd make more sense to me, but I think you should find another professor or supervisor instead of your coach unless you have a very compelling reason otherwise.

Yes, I agree. I just feel like my coach is able to write towards my hard work and dedication because being a student-athlete is so extremely hard, and time-consuming. Do you think it would be okay if I had her still submit a LOR, but have a fourth one sent in as well? Does GPA make up for GRE in any sort of way, or is U of M a far reach?
Check the requirements for each school. If they only read 3 no matter how many you sent, then I'd skip the coach. If they'll read all that are sent, no harm in sending it along with a 4th. I'm a former student-athlete too, so I get what you're saying. Right after graduation, my coach wrote me several recs for jobs. Grad schools want to know if you'll be academically successful in their programs, though, and while there are obvious transferable skills between sports and academics, a coach letter isn't going to show them you're prepared for graduate work. They'll get that volleyball was important to you and a major commitment you made from your resume.

I don't think U of M is a far reach, certainly not compared to Columbia and Yale. I think they get fewer applicants simply because of their location and name (non-Ivy) even though they have a fantastic program. I think applying to both Global Health and HME there is smart... Your lab experience will certainly help with HME, and Global is generally an easier track to get into than straight-up epi at most schools.

Undergrad School: California State School
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.15
Major/Minor: Hospitality Management
GRE: V: 159, Q: 150, W: 4.0

- Current Red Cross Disaster Preparedness Volunteer
- Volunteer with the Laurel Foundation, an organization focused on assisting children affected by HIV & Aids in the Los Angeles area
- Human Resources professional full time for the past four year
- Resident Adviser in college

LOR: Two former professors, and one former supervisor - I think my former supervisors letter is very strong, but the two from professors might not be as strong.

Interests: Global Health, migrant/immigrant health, sexual health

Applied: SDSU - Epi (10/30), Colorado State - Global Health Maternal and Child Health (10/30), George Washington - Global Health Epi & Disease Control (10/30), UCLA - Epi (10/30), UMN - Epi (10/30), NYU - Global Health (10/31), UIC - EPI (11/21), Emory - Global Health Infectious Disease (01/03), OHSU - Epi (01/28)
Accepted: NYU 12/20 with $, UIC
Rejected: GWU 12/03, UMN 12/26, Colorado, UCLA, Emory
Waitlisted:

I applied last cycle as well, but only to two schools. I'm currently sitting on a deffered acceptance to Tulane.

I'm very very interested in health in immigrant/migrant populations and have been looking into programs with good global health components or research centers, but I also realize that hard epidemiology skills are more useful in the job market. If anyone has any recommendations for schools with this focus, let me know! I feel like I've spent the last months doing nothing but reading online faculty bios!

Last edited:
Thanks

OMG :(.Thanks for the heads up. I'll review my options accordingly

I am a current MPH student at Yale, and I would not rule Yale out based on this assumption. Out of all the programs I was accepted to, Yale was my least expensive option with a generous financial aid package/scholarship. @'froDiva, you should also check out Yale's Advanced Professional MPH if you have your MD. It is a shorter program offered to those with an existing professional degree, such as an MD, which can save money in the end.

Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.94/3.94
Major/Minor: Biomedical Sciences with minors in Public Health and Pharmacology & Toxicology
GradGPA
(if applicable): NA
Grad Studies (if applicable): NA
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 160Q, 158V, 5.5AW

-Grant funded thesis project examining the feasibility of a health promotion strategy at a local food truck event

-3 years as a research assistant in a child health and behavior lab examining the interactions between developmental psychology and early-childhood health behavior and obesity prevention. (3 poster presentations and 1 publication)

-2 years as a research assistant in the school of public health emphasizing patient-provider communication concerning the role of PrEP on the continuum of HIV care. (2 poster presentations and 3 publications)

-1 year as a research assistant in a county emergency department examining the intersections of public health, health communication and risk perception in regards to emergency medicine

-Intern at the county health department in the bureau of community wellness. Redesigned school-based sexual health curriculum to keep pace with state standards.

-3 years as a teaching assistant for a service-learning based class through the University’s Honors college exploring the intersections of community, health and social justice.

-Two alternative break trips focusing on social justice efforts in the south and Refugee resettlement.

Special factors:
- work 20 hours a week as a Barista at a local coffee shop

Applied: UNC (MSPH-PhD in Health Behavior), Emory (BSHE MPH), Johns Hopkins (MHS in Social Factors in Health), UPitt (Behavioral and Community Health Sciences MPH), UB (PhD Community Health and Health Behavior), UMichigan (Health Behavior and Health Education MPH), UMinnesota (Community Health Promotion MPH)

Accepted: UPitt (11/29), Emory (12/11), UMichigan (1/11), UMinnesota (1/14), SUNY Buffalo PhD (1/23), JHU (1/30)

Last edited:
I am a current MPH student at Yale, and I would not rule Yale out based on this assumption. Out of all the programs I was accepted to, Yale was my least expensive option with a generous financial aid package/scholarship. @'froDiva, you should also check out Yale's Advanced Professional MPH if you have your MD. It is a shorter program offered to those with an existing professional degree, such as an MD, which can save money in the end.

Thanks for the reply. Gave me a bit of hope coz I really like the SBS program at Yale

Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.94/3.94
Major/Minor: Biomedical Sciences with minors in Public Health and Pharmacology & Toxicology
GradGPA
(if applicable): NA
Grad Studies (if applicable): NA
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 160Q, 158V, 5.5AW

-Grant funded thesis project examining the feasibility of a health promotion strategy at a local food truck event

-3 years as a research assistant in a child health and behavior lab examining the interactions between developmental psychology and early-childhood health behavior and obesity prevention. (3 poster presentations and 1 publication)

-2 years as a research assistant in the school of public health emphasizing patient-provider communication concerning the role of PrEP on the continuum of HIV care. (2 poster presentations and 3 publications)

-1 year as a research assistant in a county emergency department examining the intersections of public health, health communication and risk perception in regards to emergency medicine

-Intern at the county health department in the bureau of community wellness. Redesigned school-based sexual health curriculum to keep pace with state standards.

-3 years as a teaching assistant for a service-learning based class through the University’s Honors college exploring the intersections of community, health and social justice.

-Two alternative break trips focusing on social justice efforts in the south and Refugee resettlement.

Special factors:
- work 20 hours a week as a Barista at a local coffee shop

Interested in: UNC (MSPH-PhD in Health Behavior), Emory (BSHE), Boston University, Johns Hopkins (MHS in Social Factors in Health), UPitt (Behavioral and Community Health Sciences), UIC (Community Health Sciences), UB (Community Health and Health Behavior), UMichigan (Health Behavior and Health Education)

You have amazing stats and ECs! I wouldn't be surprised if you got into all of those programs. I think you have a good range, and could even apply a little more top heavy if you were interested in those programs (Columbia, Yale, etc.)

Undergrad School: State School
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 2.8 per sophas, should change to 2.9-3.0 after I finish 2 course retakes
Major/Minor: Psychology/Neuro
GRE : Verbal 158 (76th percentile) Quantitative 157 (65th percentile) Analytical 5.0 (93rd percentile)

Experience/Research/Extracurriculars:

Military veteran
8 years in EMS in 3+ major cities/ski patrol & back country rescue (Current 911 Paramedic)
College Instructor- Health Sciences
Rural/underserved community health medical coordinator (health fair for exams/testing in low SES communities)
Presidential Volunteer Service Award (3k hrs volunteering in community/leadership positions)
Various leadership/ lifesaving awards
Minimal research, but assisted with PTSD studies in veteran groups
Long history of volunteering/leadership with groups such as big brothers big sisters, girl/boy scouts, etc

LOR: Former EMS partner/ current supervisor, program director of the department I teach in, former military commander
Interests: MPH, specifically in health/behavior or health education/community health. I would like to study PTSD, intimate partner violence, and social emergency medicine.

Applying: Not completely sure yet. My GPA is low, but is well explained by extenuating circumstances causing 2-3 semesters of straight F's (failure to withdrawal). My most recent work (last 80 credit hours) is well above a 3.0. Given my background and other personal experience not listed I'm thinking:
JHU (applying for spring 2019 health,behavior, society), Harvard, Columbia, UCLA, UWash, GWU, Georgetown

Any other recommendations on where to apply?

How long does it take SOPHAS to verify my application if I'm waiting for my last letter of recommendation? I'm assuming it shouldn't take the 4 weeks since its still early in the application process.

Hi everyone! I would love to hear any feedback or insights on my stats. I'm pretty concerned about my GRE score. Are there any other programs I should consider?

Undergrad School: UC (graduated 1 year early)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.567
Major/Minor: Public Health Policy/Education
GRE: V: 148 (38%), Q: 158 (68%), W: 4.5 (82%) (planning to retake to increase my verbal score)
- (~1 year) Non-profit organization as the program lead for two grants (policy work and health education).
- (3 months) Intern at the same non-profit organization.
- (2 months) Activities assistant at an assisted living facility
- (8 months) Medical receptionist at a neurology and sleep clinic
- (3 months) Intern for public health course at a preschool

LOR: 1 from my Executive Director at my current position, 2 from previous professors, and 1 from my supervisor when I was an intern

Interests: MPH in Community Health or Health Policy

Applying: UC Berkeley, USC, GWU, UNC, University of Arizona, UNR

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Nationally recognized university in India
Undergrad GPA: (I have been told that after WES evaluation, approximately 3.5 on a 4.0 scale)
Major: Biotechnology Engineering
GRE: V: 156, Q: 162 W: Not sure. Estimate: 4 or 4.5
-1 month summer internship at Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Biotechnology working on gut microbiome related research
-1 semester long project work based on herbal medicine
-3 months summer internship at National Institute of Epidemiology
-(will run ~1 year, will be 1 semester when I apply) currently working on final year project on transcriptome analysis (dealing with environmental science and microbiology) (got funding for this from my college!!!)
-3 years of volunteer work at NSS (National Service Scheme), with experiences ranging from assisting in helping set up medical camps and blood drives, work in flood relief and regular donation drives. I'm also editor-in-chief of this organization.

LOR: one from mentor at my internship (at Nat'l Institute of Epi), one from a biopharmaceuticals professor who I took 1 class with, and one from my PI (for both projects, and is my faculty adviser as well)

Interests: MPH in Epi

Applying: Emory, Columbia, BU, GWU (maybe UTH, UAlberta, UCBerkeley)

I've posted once before, which may be why this post looks familiar! But I have updated many things, and have new questions for those willing to answer :)

1. Should I retake my GRE? My verbal score is on the lower side for most of the colleges I am applying to -- is this something I need to worry about, or since I'm aiming for epidemiology, will it not really be a problem?
2. Speaking of, I know quant is important for epi -- is 162 good enough? It should be noted that my undergrad math grades are really bad (I'm talking D and below) but I have full confidence in my math skills and ability to pick up math. I was really hoping to offset the grades with a 165+ in quant in GRE but clearly, that didn't happen. Should I retake GRE, if not to improve verbal score, then for this? (I will make sure to ask my referees to bring up my math capability in the LOR, especially my referee from the internship I did at the Nat'l Institute of Epi.)
3. What do you think about UTH, UAlberta and UCB (I feel like this one is beyond a reach school, especially since the program itself is Epi/Biostats, and I'll be applying with horrible undergrad math grades).

Thank you all in advance. Really just freaking out about GRE and the need to retake.

Hello MPH 2019 Applicants! I am excited to see the progress of others and receive the advice from peers throughout the application cycle. My stats are as follows:

Undergrad School: private university in CA, top 5 in the West
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: cGPA: 3.88/major GPA: 4.0
Major/Minor: Health Sciences/Psychology
GRE: taken on 9/1/18 V: 160 (86%), Q: 158 (68%), W: 4.5 (82%)
- Clinical Team Leader for Dermatology private practice (7 mos)
- Medical Assistant for Dermatology private practice (10 mos)
- Health Scholar (5 mos)
- Research and Analysis Intern (5 mos)
- Capstone Research Project (5 mos)
- Undergrad Student RA (6 mos)
- Undergrad Student Researcher conducted independent and interdisciplinary research project (12 mos)

LOR: 2 from previous professors, 2 from current supervisors (one of which holds dual MD and PhD)

Interests: MPH in Enviro Epi, will apply to either EHS or EPI based on program

Applying: UC Berkeley EHS, UCI EPI, UW Gen EPI, Emory MSPH Enviro EPI, Yale EHS, GWU EPI, U of A MS EPI

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

I was an applicant last cycle, and I just wanted to know that I got into 9/10 schools that I applied to despite having a GPA well below the general average (3.14 overall). :)

I know it's a little early for this but I'd be happy to read over peoples' personal statements if they want an editor. Lastly, I'm not sure how relevant they still are, but a bunch of us from last year posted some resources in the google drive linked in my signature - they might be helpful, maybe not.

Best of luck to everyone.

Reactions: 6 users
Is anyone planning on going to Emory's Destination Public Health next month? I'll be there!

Hi all - really glad that I stumbled across this forum! Looking forward to sharing thoughts as we go through the application process.

Undergrad School:
Private liberal arts college
Undergrad GPA: 3.93/4.00
Major/Minor: Economics and Chinese, minor in Global Development
GRE: V 165 (96%), Q 159 (72%), Writing 5.5 (98%)

Experience/Research: 2.5 years of globally-focused work in research, strategic learning, and evaluation of grant-funded public health interventions and health leadership programs (1 year at a global health nonprofit abroad and 1.5 years at a nonprofit based in the US). Experience in qualitative and quantitative social science research.

LOR: (1) Former colleague from a global health nonprofit, (2) Former economics professor whose classes I TA'd, (3) Current supervisor, and (4) Former study abroad director/professor. (Four may be overkill, but they each highlight different strengths.)

Interests: Health policy, health equity, global health, program evaluation, and health systems strengthening.

Applying to: U-M (Health Policy and Management - Global Health Program), Harvard (Global Health), University of Washington (Global Health), Johns Hopkins (Global Health Economics), Yale (Health Policy w/ Global Health Concentration), Boston University (Health Policy w/ Secondary Certificate in Global Health), and Columbia (Health Policy w/ Certificate in Global Health)

Undergrad School: Nationally recognized university in India
Undergrad GPA: (I have been told that after WES evaluation, approximately 3.5 on a 4.0 scale)
Major: Biotechnology Engineering
GRE: V: 156, Q: 162 W: Not sure. Estimate: 4 or 4.5
-1 month summer internship at Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Biotechnology working on gut microbiome related research
-1 semester long project work based on herbal medicine
-3 months summer internship at National Institute of Epidemiology
-(will run ~1 year, will be 1 semester when I apply) currently working on final year project on transcriptome analysis (dealing with environmental science and microbiology) (got funding for this from my college!!!)
-3 years of volunteer work at NSS (National Service Scheme), with experiences ranging from assisting in helping set up medical camps and blood drives, work in flood relief and regular donation drives. I'm also editor-in-chief of this organization.

LOR: one from mentor at my internship (at Nat'l Institute of Epi), one from a biopharmaceuticals professor who I took 1 class with, and one from my PI (for both projects, and is my faculty adviser as well)

Interests: MPH in Epi

Applying: Emory, Columbia, BU, GWU (maybe UTH, UAlberta, UCBerkeley)

I've posted once before, which may be why this post looks familiar! But I have updated many things, and have new questions for those willing to answer :)

1. Should I retake my GRE? My verbal score is on the lower side for most of the colleges I am applying to -- is this something I need to worry about, or since I'm aiming for epidemiology, will it not really be a problem?
2. Speaking of, I know quant is important for epi -- is 162 good enough? It should be noted that my undergrad math grades are really bad (I'm talking D and below) but I have full confidence in my math skills and ability to pick up math. I was really hoping to offset the grades with a 165+ in quant in GRE but clearly, that didn't happen. Should I retake GRE, if not to improve verbal score, then for this? (I will make sure to ask my referees to bring up my math capability in the LOR, especially my referee from the internship I did at the Nat'l Institute of Epi.)
3. What do you think about UTH, UAlberta and UCB (I feel like this one is beyond a reach school, especially since the program itself is Epi/Biostats, and I'll be applying with horrible undergrad math grades).

Thank you all in advance. Really just freaking out about GRE and the need to retake.

I think you're GRE are scores are fine and imo I don't see any reason to retake it, especially since you're concentrating on Epi. I believe you have a fair shot at all of the schools you're applying to! Like a lot of people have been saying on here, focus on getting good LORs and writing a well-established personal statement that brings together your experiences and your career goals/interests. Good luck! :D

How long does it take SOPHAS to verify my application if I'm waiting for my last letter of recommendation? I'm assuming it shouldn't take the 4 weeks since its still early in the application process.
I applied september 6th and just got verified today!