Moving from US to england to practice optometry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fullofcrazyideas

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am currently a pre-opt student and i will be applying to optometry schools in the US this cycle. I was wondering if it is possible to get my optometry degree from an US optometry program and then move to england. I am was born and raised in england and then moved to america for middle, high school and college. I am just thinking about my future and possible places i want to live and raise my family. Or is there are any optometry graduate programs in the UK since i already have my bachelors degree.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding, circa maybe 10 years ago, was there was no bridging path whatsoever for an OD to enter practice in the UK as an optometrist. Not sure if that has changed or not.

There are a number of optometry schools in the UK. If you did an OD here and went there for a Master's degree, then yes I imagine that is possible.

Edit - Oh I see you're asking if you can do your first-optom degree in the UK. I don't see why not, although I'm pretty sure it's a Bachelor's program, not a "Doctor of Optometry" degree.