More DIY classes? Or ace MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MichAAGC

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to assess how much of a DIY to complete before applying.

sGPA=3.3, cGPA=3.4

I completed by Bachelor's three years ago.

Since then:
-full time in pharmacy research (multiple co-authored papers, posters, and conferences)
-managed a non-profit with full staff (two years)
-300+ hours of clinical experience with underserved population
-100+ hours in underserved (non-clinical)
-scoring around 515 on MCAT FLs.

I've been taking some classes, about two per semester, to keep my transcript current.
Post-bac GPA=4.0, 20 credit hours.
Will this, along with the rest of my app, suggest that I can hack med school, or should I take more classes?
I plan to apply MD and DO.

Thanks for your time, all!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on what classes you’ve taken. If you have all your prerequisite covered and have taken any classes you plan on taking for MCAT prep, then prep for and take the MCAT. There’s no value in taking more classes than you need for admission and learning MCAT material.

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to assess how much of a DIY to complete before applying.

sGPA=3.3, cGPA=3.4

I completed by Bachelor's three years ago.

Since then:
-full time in pharmacy research (multiple co-authored papers, posters, and conferences)
-managed a non-profit with full staff (two years)
-300+ hours of clinical experience with underserved population
-100+ hours in underserved (non-clinical)
-scoring around 515 on MCAT FLs.

I've been taking some classes, about two per semester, to keep my transcript current.
Post-bac GPA=4.0, 20 credit hours.
Will this, along with the rest of my app, suggest that I can hack med school, or should I take more classes?
I plan to apply MD and DO.

Thanks for your time, all!
Take 3-4 more classes, ace them, and then MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take 3-4 more classes, ace them, and then MCAT.
Not trying to be combative, genuinely wondering: If OP's prereqs are complete, what's the advantage in taking these 3-4 more classes? Just to raise GPA? Which classes would they take?

Not trying to be combative, genuinely wondering: If OP's prereqs are complete, what's the advantage in taking these 3-4 more classes? Just to raise GPA? Which classes would they take?
If OP is boning for MD schools, UG GPA is too low, and aceing 20 credits doesn't seem like enough to convince their Sdcoms that OP can handle med school, OR OP will simply be crowded out by more competitive candidates.

Reactions: 1 user
If OP is boning for MD schools, UG GPA is too low, and aceing 20 credits doesn't seem like enough to convince their Sdcoms that OP can handle med school, OR OP will simply be crowded out by more competitive candidates.
Not to post-hijack, but I've got similar stats.. what other classes might you recommend? Is it advisable to take classes in a post-bacc strictly for GPA reform beyond what's required for applications?

Not to post-hijack, but I've got similar stats.. what other classes might you recommend? Is it advisable to take classes in a post-bacc strictly for GPA reform beyond what's required for applications?
Absolutely. Try anatomy, physiology, genetics, biochemistry, microbiology, neuroscience, histology, immunology, cell bio, or pathology

Reactions: 1 user

Thank you for your response, @Goro. I am not particularly set on MD, and may only be able to take 2 more classes before applying next year. With a decent set of experiences outside of my coursework, is it possible that casting wide net in MD and DO will lead to some success? MI is state of residence.

Thank you for your response, @Goro. I am not particularly set on MD, and may only be able to take 2 more classes before applying next year. With a decent set of experiences outside of my coursework, is it possible that casting wide net in MD and DO will lead to some success? MI is state of residence.
Yes