MOCA CME credits needed for recertification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badmojo80

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am short of credits needed for MOCA recertification even after getting the maximum number of credits for this year. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas on how to remedy this situation? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Probably my best advice would be to either email or call theABA.org and have them direct you. I'm sure you're not the only person in this situation.

Email the aba. It’s not a biggie. In the past my friend just had to complete the cme before they would re certify him for another 10 years. (This was 5-6 years ago ) so not sure if much as changed.

People become lazy/complacent in their lives whatever the excuse. Just do the cmes when you can.

I’d be more concern with states cracking down if u haven’t done their 40/50 cme over 2 years though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat, it's such a scheme. The ABA CME passport website is horrendous, you search filter based on things (e.g. open to all, patient safety) that turn out to be expired or cost something. Someone should run for ABA leadership based solely on revising this terrible system. It's absurdist when you finally get ABA credit for something reading about the lean/6 sigma system but the system can't do it itself. Have one website, allow people to easily access online material (not everyone can travel). It would seriously add education, vs. what happens now which is people scramble and don't learn anything. I'm still early in my career level but I work with some older colleagues and I've seen some of the things they do for trauma/OB cases that are just not up to date for current practice. My colleagues taught me a lot but realistically the ABA has done a terrible job for access to education.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in the same boat, it's such a scheme. The ABA CME passport website is horrendous, you search filter based on things (e.g. open to all, patient safety) that turn out to be expired or cost something. Someone should run for ABA leadership based solely on revising this terrible system. It's absurdist when you finally get ABA credit for something reading about the lean/6 sigma system but the system can't do it itself. Have one website, allow people to easily access online material (not everyone can travel). It would seriously add education, vs. what happens now which is people scramble and don't learn anything. I'm still early in my career level but I work with some older colleagues and I've seen some of the things they do for trauma/OB cases that are just not up to date for current practice. My colleagues taught me a lot but realistically the ABA has done a terrible job for access to education.
Almost like it’s not about education at all 🤔 😂

Reactions: 1 users
Dude. Just do the ACE questions and the SimStats (before their deadlines) and you won’t run into any problems with either the ABA or your state boards

Reactions: 2 users
Dude. Just do the ACE questions and the SimStats (before their deadlines) and you won’t run into any problems with either the ABA or your state boards
Yeah...

I let my ASA membership lapse in a fit of disgust a few years back. Did my cme in little bits and pieces here and there. But my new group pays for it as a benefit, so I'm a member again.

I feel a little dirty but the CME options and auto tracking are convenient.

I just did some of the simstat modules over the weekend, and aside from failing the sims a bunch of times because I initially couldn't find the ventilator or realize I could click on this or that, or because I only transfused the trauma patients six units instead of ten, they're a relatively painless way to meet the MOCA part 4 requirement and get 25 CME credits.

Ugh I need to wash my hands after typing that.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah...

I let my ASA membership lapse in a fit of disgust a few years back. Did my cme in little bits and pieces here and there. But my new group pays for it as a benefit, so I'm a member again.

I feel a little dirty but the CME options and auto tracking are convenient.

I just did some of the simstat modules over the weekend, and aside from failing the sims a bunch of times because I initially couldn't find the ventilator or realize I could click on this or that, or because I only transfused the trauma patients six units instead of ten, they're a relatively painless way to meet the MOCA part 4 requirement and get 25 CME credits.

Ugh I need to wash my hands after typing that.
One could also get them by doing some quality improvement stuff in one's hospital (which may actually help the department).

Reactions: 1 users
One could also get them by doing some quality improvement stuff in one's hospital (which may actually help the department).
I did that for my last 5-yr period. It was a project I was already doing, and I just filled out the form and had my chair sign it. Easy option.

I am short of credits needed for MOCA recertification even after getting the maximum number of credits for this year. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas on how to remedy this situation? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Just got an email from the ABA that said if your certification ends this year there is a one year grace period to get all your requirements done.