Mistreated by a vet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jam21

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, guys. I'm posting this thread here hoping that I can get a suggestion. I'm very frustrated about what has happened to me yesterday at a vet clinic. Well, I was visiting my friend in Tampa, which is about 2 hrs away from where I live. While staying there, I had my dog neutered. He was already 7 months old and I wanted to neuter him as soon as possible. After calling several places, I found this vet place that only charges 44 dollars for neutering charge. Even with the separate charge of pain medication (around 10 to 15 dollars), the entire nuetering processing would still be under 100 bucks. Having talked to the tech's at many vet clinics, I found this charge to be surprising cheap. Hence, I SPECIFICALLY asked the lady at this clinic to avoid any other charges. The lady promised me that 44 bucks for the ENTIRE process and there is NO surprising charges related to this. When I entered the place, the nurse at the front desk didn't even greet us and busy talking to other guy who didnt even need help. When I went back to pick him up, the charges came out to be 131 dollars. After explaining the price that we agreed to pay previously over the phone, the rude assistant who first insisted that she was the only employee at the time finally brought the other workers. After we demanded to talk to the worker whom we spoke to, one of them admitted that she made a mistake when she told me the price. It was supposed to be 77 dollars but she told me 44 dollars (just for the castration charge). Plus, the assistant didn't even bother to tell me anything about the after-care stuff. When I asked, she simply threw a pamphlet for me to read and told me to go see my own vet in town if I have other problems! The workers there did NOT have any answers to our questions regarding the aftercare. What makes me mad more is that they are refusing to talk to the vet even after i paid the price they were asking for (I was forced to pay the invoice there to get my dog back). We paid the bill ONLY after we have agreed on the terms of getting refunds the next day. The assistant who made the mistake apologized and promised that they will do the refund when the doctor comes in the next day over the phone. However, I didn't get a call from the doctor. When I called the office, the worker still refused to allow me to talk to him at all. I'm so angered by their rudeness and bad service. I can't believe something like this happens at a doctor's office. Lies after Lies. Is there any place that we can call to complain about this situation? I am confident that the workers are trying to cover up their mistakes and thinking that we, the college students, can't do anything about it as long as THEY don't let us talk to the doctor. I have tried many ways to contact the doctor, but all of these ways involve going through this assistant, who rudely hangs up on me. I don't want to drive 2 hrs away just to be lied again. ( Out of my desperationg, I had my friend visit the office to get the doctor to talk to me, but the assistant basically kicked him out).
She told him to come back this friday to talk to the doctor, but I am very certain that this is another lie to keep him from coming back in. The feeling of getting manipulated by these workers and mistreatments that I have received as a patient surely ruined my holidays. I cannot no longer trust words coming from the vet's office.

If you are aware of ways to contact a doctor without going to his assistant or handle this unfortunate situation, please let me know. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, that's a pretty bad situation. I doubt they'd appreciate it much, but have you tried looking up the vet's name in the phonebook? This is just me grasping for straws here. That really is bad--they acknowledged their mistake and are trying to sweep you under the carpet. It all boils down to wheither or not the vet is a nice person--he/her is running a buisness. Morally, should you be refunded? I think so. I'm not too sure that they are legally required to refund you though.

Lesson learned I guess. It may be the best idea to speak directly to the vet or someone in charge, mabe even go in to the office the next time--just to make sure.

I wish I could offer you more advice.

I would send a letter registered mail-The vet then would have to sign for it and you would have documentation.

Also just like there is an american medical association for MD's there is a medical association for DVM's you can try a complaint through them.

But most importantly-is your dog ok? Medicine is medicine and you get what you pay for. I hope you would not bargain shop for your doctor.

Good luck-
B

Members don't see this ad :)
It is so true that you get what you pay for. Most likely this dog had no anesthetic monitoring, no fluids, no catheter, zero post-op monitoring, and with pain meds being "optional", that's just inappropriate in my mind. I ask anyone, would they wish to undergo castration with the "option" of pain meds?????

The true issue here is that the original poster was offered a "verbal" qoute, and any reputable veterinary hospital will not admit an animal for a surgical procedure without having them first sign an estimate and leave 1/2 of the highest total number on the estimate form, and secondly sign a surgical release form. I have heard of places that do not do this, and would never bring my pets to a place like that.

$44 would be cheap even for a cat neuter. $77 is very cheap for a dog neuter, but the prices can vary depending on regions. But overall, in my opinion, pet health care (and human health care) are not things to be "shopped around" for. Auto repairs, clothing, prices on milk or bread, yes. But not health care, because again, you get what you pay for.

On a side note: Hey CUdvm. I wanted to got to that Vet school open house yesterday but had to take that bloody MCAT instead. :cool: How was it?

cudvm2005 said:
It is so true that you get what you pay for. Most likely this dog had no anesthetic monitoring, no fluids, no catheter, zero post-op monitoring, and with pain meds being "optional", that's just inappropriate in my mind. I ask anyone, would they wish to undergo castration with the "option" of pain meds?????

The true issue here is that the original poster was offered a "verbal" qoute, and any reputable veterinary hospital will not admit an animal for a surgical procedure without having them first sign an estimate and leave 1/2 of the highest total number on the estimate form, and secondly sign a surgical release form. I have heard of places that do not do this, and would never bring my pets to a place like that.

$44 would be cheap even for a cat neuter. $77 is very cheap for a dog neuter, but the prices can vary depending on regions. But overall, in my opinion, pet health care (and human health care) are not things to be "shopped around" for. Auto repairs, clothing, prices on milk or bread, yes. But not health care, because again, you get what you pay for.

Hi FruitFly
The Open House was good. I was only there for a little while, but we were blessed with some nice weather, the first time in the three years I've been here at school, and even the year before when I was an applicant. I think there was a good turnout. I was working with "Cornell Companions", the pet visitation group and had my dog there to be "petted" by everyone. Good luck with the MCAT's. I'm glad I never had to take that test. Very difficult! GRE's were easy compared to that!

You don't always get what you pay for. Its the skills, not the $ that matter. There are some great vets out there who offer informed customers choices as to risk level and are able to keep things more affordable for those who need it.