Minibunion Synthes and MIS Arthrex

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1020736

Looking into some MIS options for select patients. For you docs more seasoned than myself, what are your outcomes with these systems. Are you weight bearing day one? Obviously not a solution for everyone, but looking for feedback. Patient outcomes/complications you all experienced?

I have tried Arthrex system, but opinions on minibunion with synthes?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Have done a few of the synthes in-bone ones.
Stable construct but not WB on day 1.
Had a lady "fall" and completely displace distal fragment + derotate. Had to go in and revise. Shortened 1st met quite a bit.

The other 3-4 healed fine.

Edit: 2 weeks non weight bearing minimum

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
This is yet another one of those can vs should things.

I don't WB anything until the skin is healed and the initial inflammation/healing window is passed (inflammatory + proliferative skin phases). You just see a lot more skin complications and edema and ecchymosis with immediate WB. The fixation loss is the least of the serious worries.

It's well worth doing NWB or protected for 2-3wks on everything you take to the operating room (yes, even for exostectomy, hammertoe, neuroma, soft tissue mass or skin lesion excision, ankle scope, etc). It will significantly help the pain and edema and perspiration and wound tensions to be minimized and therefore be a boon to the wound healing.

As clever as we want to think we are, the foot is full of sweat glands, gravity wins every time (edema), and stuff rolls downhill. It is good to really rest the tissues after any surgery to mitigate the early inflammation and edema and wound issues.

The DPMs who tell pts WB right away just end up with higher dehiscence, cellulitis, edema that delays return to regular shoes, wound infections, poorer cicatrix cosmesis, etc... not to mention rare loss of fixation or craked osteotomy or nonunion issues. It is not worth that just to try to "sell" surgery to the pt, and it's definitely not good pt care imo. Even if you don't mind minor dehiscence or pts needing more analgesics or foot/ankle staying edematous for a prolonged timespan, all you need is one serious wound dehiscence or infection needing IV abx or threat of septic joint or exposed plate, and you will probably get over the ego trip of immediate WB. Ditto for trying to have them keep the foot bandage clean and dry for 2 weeks... see them in 1wk (or even less if major surgery or slovenly DM pt or something).

Once you are an attending, you will realize that the patient is usually one step past what you say for WB status anyways (strict NWB = toe touch, toe touch = WB boot, WB boot = WB barefoot in the house, tennis shoes = any shoes, slow return to sports = full go, etc).

...mainly, the procedure (distal met osteotomy) just doesn't fix much.
Austin was probably the procedure I did more than anything in training. I saw hundreds, did 100+, we had them on the schedule daily. Now, I do maybe just a few per year (even though I do dozens of bunions annual). Distal met osteotomy has such a narrow indication in my mind: mild bunion + little/no arthrosis + little/no hypermobility + good bone stock. The distal met osteotomy offers almost zero benefit over Lapidus in terms of recovery/rehab time if you use proper Lapidus fixation (that was still developing when I was training, so DMO were more popular).

As you do bunions as an attending, see your pts long term, and see other DPMs' failed and recur bunions, you will probably find that Lapidus and first MPJ fusion are your workhorses, and the indications for first met osteotomies - distal or proximal - are really paper thin. Many DMOs and any met osteotomies recur within even a few years (as the IM or HAV wasn't even corrected... definitely not the hypermobility). Other DMOs in older ppl will jam the joint and they get rigidus pain - also within a few years.

I revise MANY more distal met osteotomies and McBrides into MPJ fusions than I actually schedule Austins for ppl who've never had bunion surgery. The never-had-surgery bunions are probably 5-10x more likely to be Lapidus in my hands. The revision bunions or HAV+rigidus and failed implants/cheilectomy are nearly always first MPJ fusion. I think I have one guy scheduled soon who had a good Austin on the other foot by ortho, and he's actually a rare good candidate for DMO: large eminence, mild HAV, good MPJ motion, low IM, almost no hypermobility. Other than that, it's probably all 1MC or MPJ1 fusions scheduled. No joke.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Mine are doing excellent. I use the Wright Medical MIS system. The jig is most of the time in the way and I end up having to throw the screws free hand.

Still get post op swelling, but the 1st MPJ range of motion is quite good afterwards. I weight bear them in a post op shoe after surgery. Never had a non-union. I use two 4.0 screws instead of the one 4.0 and one 3.5 screw.

They end up with about 5-6 1mm poke holes so I have never had dehisence problems. Really incredible correction you can get.

I switched from doing lapidus to these. The higher IM angle the easier it actually is to perform.

Reactions: 2 users
Personally im still watching these MIS bunions still.

I dont want to fall behind in modern ideas and new fixation methods

Starting to come around to the idea of trying them.

But trends in podiatry come and go. Remember the 2nd MTPJ fusion everyone on the lecture circuit was doing about a decade ago? What happened to that? Crickets.

Still waiting for longer data on these MIS bunions.

Maybe I'm just spooked because I had one come to me after failing with another DPM /wanting me to revise a couple years ago.

Reactions: 3 users
This is yet another one of those can vs should things.

I don't WB anything until the skin is healed and the initial inflammation/healing window is passed (inflammatory + proliferative skin phases). You just see a lot more skin complications and edema and ecchymosis with immediate WB. The fixation loss is the least of the serious worries.

It's well worth doing NWB or protected for 2-3wks on everything you take to the operating room (yes, even for exostectomy, hammertoe, neuroma, soft tissue mass or skin lesion excision, ankle scope, etc). It will significantly help the pain and edema and perspiration and wound tensions to be minimized and therefore be a boon to the wound healing.

As clever as we want to think we are, the foot is full of sweat glands, gravity wins every time (edema), and stuff rolls downhill. It is good to really rest the tissues after any surgery to mitigate the early inflammation and edema and wound issues.

The DPMs who tell pts WB right away just end up with higher dehiscence, cellulitis, edema that delays return to regular shoes, wound infections, poorer cicatrix cosmesis, etc... not to mention rare loss of fixation or craked osteotomy or nonunion issues. It is not worth that just to try to "sell" surgery to the pt, and it's definitely not good pt care imo. Even if you don't mind minor dehiscence or pts needing more analgesics or foot/ankle staying edematous for a prolonged timespan, all you need is one serious wound dehiscence or infection needing IV abx or threat of septic joint or exposed plate, and you will probably get over the ego trip of immediate WB. Ditto for trying to have them keep the foot bandage clean and dry for 2 weeks... see them in 1wk (or even less if major surgery or slovenly DM pt or something).

Once you are an attending, you will realize that the patient is usually one step past what you say for WB status anyways (strict NWB = toe touch, toe touch = WB boot, WB boot = WB barefoot in the house, tennis shoes = any shoes, slow return to sports = full go, etc).

...mainly, the procedure (distal met osteotomy) just doesn't fix much.
Austin was probably the procedure I did more than anything in training. I saw hundreds, did 100+, we had them on the schedule daily. Now, I do maybe just a few per year (even though I do dozens of bunions annual). Distal met osteotomy has such a narrow indication in my mind: mild bunion + little/no arthrosis + little/no hypermobility + good bone stock. The distal met osteotomy offers almost zero benefit over Lapidus in terms of recovery/rehab time if you use proper Lapidus fixation (that was still developing when I was training, so DMO were more popular).

As you do bunions as an attending, see your pts long term, and see other DPMs' failed and recur bunions, you will probably find that Lapidus and first MPJ fusion are your workhorses, and the indications for first met osteotomies - distal or proximal - are really paper thin. Many DMOs and any met osteotomies recur within even a few years (as the IM or HAV wasn't even corrected... definitely not the hypermobility). Other DMOs in older ppl will jam the joint and they get rigidus pain - also within a few years.

I revise MANY more distal met osteotomies and McBrides into MPJ fusions than I actually schedule Austins for ppl who've never had bunion surgery. The never-had-surgery bunions are probably 5-10x more likely to be Lapidus in my hands. The revision bunions or HAV+rigidus and failed implants/cheilectomy are nearly always first MPJ fusion. I think I have one guy scheduled soon who had a good Austin on the other foot by ortho, and he's actually a rare good candidate for DMO: large eminence, mild HAV, good MPJ motion, low IM, almost no hypermobility. Other than that, it's probably all 1MC or MPJ1 fusions scheduled. No joke.

I agree completely. While patients might like the idea of same day weight bearing, many can’t tolerate the pain of it and that becomes a problem too..not to mention the drain it takes on your mental health when you’re getting weekend or night calls from the patient because they bent a wire or felt a crack and something “doesn’t feel right”. I learned very early on to NWB for at least a week or two after all surgeries.

And of course if anything goes wrong or requires revision - you will be the one blamed in the patients eyes because you said walking would be okay.

Last edited:
I agree completely. While patients might like the idea of same day weight bearing, many can’t tolerate the pain of it and that becomes a problem too..not to mention the drain it takes on your mental health when you’re getting weekend or night calls from the patient because they bent a wire or felt a crack and something “doesn’t feel right”. I learned very early on to NWB for at least a week or two after all surgeries.

And of course if anything goes wrong or requires revision - you will be the one blamed in the patients eyes because you said walking would be okay.
Yes, good points all around... pain, edema, complications, pt phone calls, legal or goodwill risks.

I say 2-3wks mainly because I'm at higher altitude now... skin healing just takes a bit longer (leave removable sutures in longer, NWB a bit longer). In most places, 2wks (for healthy young-ish pts) is sufficient to heal the skin and weather the early post-op inflammation + swelling + pain.

Last edited:
mis-4-x-ray-before-and-after.jpeg

MIS 1.jpg

Im just not sure how people sleep at night after this.

Also, this is a real website!

• Wow
That patient is actually a perfect candidate for Lapidus. To be honest, I don't see myself doing it a lot on only 1 thing, but if a 30 year old women/man wants minimal scarring for a moderate bunion I would like to add it to the arsenal. Also, I think I would never translate the head >90% just due to anxiety.
I must say I feel the exact opposite.
If a 60 year old wanted minimal scarring I could see the argument for this type of bunion.
A 30 year old is going to get a lapidus in my clinic/hands. Even if a small bunion.

Personally im still watching these MIS bunions still.

I dont want to fall behind in modern ideas and new fixation methods

Starting to come around to the idea of trying them.

But trends in podiatry come and go. Remember the 2nd MTPJ fusion everyone on the lecture circuit was doing about a decade ago? What happened to that? Crickets.

Still waiting for longer data on these MIS bunions.

Maybe I'm just spooked because I had one come to me after failing with another DPM /wanting me to revise a couple years ago.

After 26 years of being a podiatrist I'm pretty gun shy about jumping into anything new. So much has come and gone. Remember Mini-Tightrope bunionectomies? Cartiva? Ex-fix bunionectomies?

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
After 26 years of being a podiatrist I'm pretty gun shy about jumping into anything new. So much has come and gone. Remember Mini-Tightrope bunionectomies? Cartiva? Ex-fix bunionectomies?
Why do people hate lapiplasty so much when ex-fix lapidus was a thing.;)

• Haha
Don't forget opening base wedge, crescenteric, too many failed first MPJ implants to count. :)

That patient is actually a perfect candidate for Lapidus. To be honest, I don't see myself doing it a lot on only 1 thing, but if a 30 year old women/man wants minimal scarring for a moderate bunion I would like to add it to the arsenal. Also, I think I would never translate the head >90% just due to anxiety.
You will see that first met osteotomies just don't fix the deformity very well. The indications for DMOs are much more narrow than you think. They look good on the table and maybe for a few years, and then they often recur. Follow-up is the enemy of "good surgery."

If a bunion is bad enough to need surgery in a teen or young adult, chances are high that there is a MAJOR hypermobility 1MC and elsewhere or supremely powerful adductor component - or both. Those bunions are very prone to recurrence, undercorrection, or both. It is good to do the best fix possible on them (hint: even a good Lapidus is not 100% bulletproof either). All that a met osteotomy really does is make the first met crooked and puts hardware in the way for a later revision to MPJ fusion (joint is seldom salvagable by revision). The only indications I really see for a HAV met osteotomy anymore is basically a mid-aged mild bunion, non-hypermobile, non-rigidus, good bone stock pt... definitely not younger or hypermobile HAV pts.

The longer you are in practice, the more ppl you will see with failed/failing met osteotomies (and McBrides). Before solid construct for Lapidus, that was semi-understandable. Now, there's really no excuse. I have dozens of people walking around with failed Austins and Scarfs and etc done St. Elsewhere who I have using met pads or wide shoes until they can get their MPJ fusion (or just using pads and soft shoes since they have PVD or can't do surgery again).

Why do people hate lapiplasty so much when ex-fix lapidus was a thing.;)
Crapiplasty is all fine and good, but it swiss cheeses the met, dissects more, makes the procedure cost 5x as much as it needs to, often frustrates facilities. It also makes revision or HWR require specialized stuff and driver from a rep who may or may not be there when that day might come.

I see zero point to it when you can get much stronger fixation construct much cheaper.

Last edited:
The longer you are in practice, the more ppl you will see with failed/failing met osteotomies (and McBrides). Before solid construct for Lapidus, that was semi-understandable. Now, there's really no excuse. I have dozens of people walking around with failed Austins and Scarfs and etc done St. Elsewhere who I have using met pads or wide shoes until they can get their MPJ fusion (or just using pads and soft shoes since they have PVD or can't do surgery again).

So true. I feel bad for patients when I see how poorly some of those old metatarsal osteotomies turned out.

If there ever were such a thing as a slam dunk procedure though it would have to be the 1st MTP arthrodesis. I'm quick to recommend those nowadays. I just have to convince patients that despite what that dopey Facebook group says, a fusion is not a death sentence.

Medi-legal risks are real with this type of procedure. You get one DPM/MD expert witness saying the MIS deviates from standard of care then you are screwed. Most expert witnesses are older anyway, and likely don't have much positive things to say about MIS bunions.

For my own protection I only offer chevron, 1st MTPJ fusion and Lapidus for my bunions. And for every chevron I always warn about recurrence and possibility of 1st MTPJ fusion in the near future. Put that on my consent.

Any patient brought up words like "laser/scarless" "MIS" "3D correction" will be referred out immediately.
Funny thing I actually still ended up seeing some of them in the inpatient setting. For either SSIs or first met fractures that happened during the post-op phase.

In addition, I have OR managers/Chief of Surgery inquiring me about why some DPMs have 7k of a hardware cost vs. mine at less than 500 bucks. Facility fees are not that much for bunions. Hospitals/surgery centers may let this fly for a while but then will crack down on these, unless you are very high volume and overall brings good money for the facility.

Medi-legal risks are real with this type of procedure. You get one DPM/MD expert witness saying the MIS deviates from standard of care then you are screwed. Most expert witnesses are older anyway, and likely don't have much positive things to say about MIS bunions.

For my own protection I only offer chevron, 1st MTPJ fusion and Lapidus for my bunions. And for every chevron I always warn about recurrence and possibility of 1st MTPJ fusion in the near future. Put that on my consent.

Any patient brought up words like "laser/scarless" "MIS" "3D correction" will be referred out immediately.
Funny thing I actually still ended up seeing some of them in the inpatient setting. For either SSIs or first met fractures that happened during the post-op phase.

In addition, I have OR managers/Chief of Surgery inquiring me about why some DPMs have 7k of a hardware cost vs. mine at less than 500 bucks. Facility fees are not that much for bunions. Hospitals/surgery centers may let this fly for a while but then will crack down on these, unless you are very high volume and overall brings good money for the facility.
you are wise

When someone asks me about "laser bunion surgery" I reflexively make a "pew-pew" sound and point my fingergun at their foot. I can't help it. It just happens.

• Haha