Military PGY-1 Position Branch Comparisons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrisprWhispr

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I created a box and whisker of the different PGY-1 residency positions amongst the branches, going off data from 2015 - 2022. The data is pretty interesting...

Picture1.png

Disclaimer: Sources are from the annual GME update document for the Army, BUMED Note 1524 for the Navy, and HPERB for the Air Force. I was unable to find the 2016 HPERB from the Air Force, as well as the Army's 2015, 2020, and 2021 data (the annual GME updates for these years that I found seemed to be identical to the previous years and thus appeared to not be updated). The numbers used in the graph combined civilian deferred, civilian sponsored, and active duty positions for the respective year. When internship year only positions were specified in the original data (ie. "Preliminary Year Internal Medicine [PGY1 Only]" in the HPERB), this data was left out to just compare typical straight through residency positions. Preliminary years for specialities that require it (ie. the Army's "Prelim: Dermatology") are simplified to just "[speciality]".
Untitled 2.png

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: