Mileage deduction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Creflo

time to eat
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I practice in my home state as well as another state. I am self employed in both states. Am I able to deduct mileage between states? From what I have read, this is deductible if you plan to do it less than one year, but my local accountant said it's deductible even long term. Any input?

Members don't see this ad.

The IRS website says, "You can deduct travel expenses paid or incurred in connection with a temporary work assignment away from home. However, you can't deduct travel expenses paid in connection with an indefinite work assignment. Any work assignment in excess of one year is considered indefinite." So that is where the one-year limit comes in. But if you're traveling intermittently away from your "tax home" on business trips to another location, expenses related to that work travel can be deducted indefinitely.

Reactions: 1 user
When I travel out of state, I see patients at multiple facilities that are expected to continue long term for over 1 year. Does this allow me to deduct the mileage? Thanks