Midwestern IL or Tufts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Predental2021ca

Reaction score
I really love boston but Midwestern seems to have great clinical experience. What school would be best for someone who wants to be a general dentist? (Both schools cost the same)

Members don't see this ad.

I really love boston but Midwestern seems to have great clinical experience. What school would be best for someone who wants to be a general dentist? (Both schools cost the same)

I can’t speak on midwestern because I didn’t go there, but I can take a guess that most dental schools are gonna give you pretty much the same clinical experience. What you put in is what you get out. You can do as little or as much as you want. For tufts you’ll get a great clinical experience. You’ll get your own patients and handle all of their clinical care (as long as its procedures a pre doctoral student can handle). You handle your own scheduling and how many patients you have. If you want to do more, get more patients, do more exams, do more procedures (fillings, crowns, bridges, RPD’s, CD…). There’s no shortage of patients coming to Tufts because the school accepts mass health which covers a huge amount of dental procedures. If you want to focus on other areas and get more experience you can. For example if you want to get better at extractions for when your a general dentist, when your free go up to the oral surgery floor and see if they have patients waiting for simple extractions and take one. At tufts you can learn and experience more complex procedures by just going to that specialty department and assisting.

Reactions: 1 user
I just finished orientation at MWU-IL, and we get to treat a wide variety of patients which means a lot more experience doing general dentistry. We don't have speciality programs which means you oversee all treatments for your patient and graduates feel confident practicing right after graduation. I have been having a great time so I highly recommend MWU :)

Reactions: 1 user