Michigan (OOS) vs. UPenn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentistintraining1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I'm having a really hard time deciding between attending UMich vs. Penn. I like both options and want to give myself the best ability to specialize or be a GP, as I'm unsure which path I want to take. Any suggestions?

Michigan
Pros:
- Cheap
- Ann Arbor is safe
- School spirit is awesome
Cons:
- Competitive?
- Minimal breaks

Penn
Pros:
- Ivy League
- Only rank the top 10
- Seems like a collaborative environment
- Good for specializing

Cons:
- Price
- Not the safest area?

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations on your acceptances to great schools!
I just wanted to note one thing about Penn.

I agree that Philadelphia may not be the safest area.
But I really enjoyed my time during my studies at Penn (post-bac).
Beautiful campus, lots of opportunities, + great vibe.

I am familiar with some of the major cities on the east coast.
I went to schools in DC, Baltimore, and Philadelphia.
I've been to NYC numerous times.

If I were to choose one city to live in, it would be Philadelphia.

Hey! I'm having a really hard time deciding between attending UMich vs. Penn. I like both options and want to give myself the best ability to specialize or be a GP, as I'm unsure which path I want to take. Any suggestions?

Michigan
Pros:
- Cheap
- Ann Arbor is safe
- School spirit is awesome
Cons:
- Competitive?
- Minimal breaks

Penn
Pros:
- Ivy League
- Only rank the top 10
- Seems like a collaborative environment
- Good for specializing

Cons:
- Price
- Not the safest area?
cheaper

Reactions: 1 user
if you're set on being a GP, then you should go to whatever is the cheapest school, which seems to be michigan. however, if you have any inkling that you want to specialize, then penn is definitely something to consider.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you're set on being a GP, then you should go to whatever is the cheapest school, which seems to be michigan. however, if you have any inkling that you want to specialize, then penn is definitely something to consider.
Thank you! I am pretty split on what I want to do. General interests me but I don't want to cut off other possibilities like endo or pedo. Do you think that if I went to Penn and then decided that I wanted to do general, that would be a mistake and waste of money?

Thank you! I am pretty split on what I want to do. General interests me but I don't want to cut off other possibilities like endo or pedo. Do you think that if I went to Penn and then decided that I wanted to do general, that would be a mistake and waste of money?
i dont think it would be a mistake, it's just going to take a bit longer to pay off the debt. with that said, you definitely can also specialize from michigan too, it might just take more work

i dont think it would be a mistake, it's just going to take a bit longer to pay off the debt. with that said, you definitely can also specialize from michigan too, it might just take more work
Why would it take more work than Penn, given that Michigan is a very notable school?

Why would it take more work than Penn, given that Michigan is a very notable school?
they're both notable schools. i only say it might take more work at michigan because it is ranked while penn is unranked (after the top 10). also penn is an ivy and pushes people to specialties whereas michigan is not necessarily known for that