Michigan (OOS) vs Penn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lolo104

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
School 1: Michigan (OOS)
Pros:
  • Cheaper
  • My little brother is probably going there for undergrad next year
  • “Number one dental school”
  • Football (I’ve never had a “game day experience)
  • Pathways program
  • Emphasis on research
Cons:
  • Weather
  • Ranked program (so creates a more competitive environment?)
  • Location? Lack of diversity in the people coming to the clinics and lack of diversity in cases?
  • I am a Spanish speaker and really want to work with Spanish speaking patients both in dental school and after I graduate.
  • Community based clinics are FAR
  • Not as high an ability to specialize coming out of Michigan?
  • Summer semester and short breaks… getting burnt out more easily?
*Penn
Pros:
  • Beautiful campus
  • In the city so more diverse patient base and case load
  • Really high probability of ability to specialize
  • Emphasis on research
  • Cost of living is pretty reasonable
  • Only top 10 are ranked
  • Ivy League name
Cons:
  • More expensive
Summary: I know everyone on here is probably going to say cheaper. Pretty sure the two schools are only 100k different. So while yes money is a huge factor to consider I also want to make sure I am getting the most out of my education because dental school is an enormous investment either way. I am currently leaning toward Penn because I do want to work with Spanish speaking patients and that seems like more of a possibility at Penn. Also I am extremely nervous about the ranking system at Michigan. I am also nervous that because Ann Arbor is so undergrad heavy that I am going to feel super isolated as a grad student. But I am definitely open to hearing opinions :)
cheaper

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in a similar situation here. Deciding between my state school (similar in cost to Michigan, but not as prestigious) and UPenn. I am also currently leaning towards UPenn for many of the same reasons you mentioned. To add to your pros for UPenn, I've also talked to current students who have mentioned that UPenn does a good job of pairing students together who they know will work well. The only problem people have is communicating with the administration, but TBH, that seems like a problem at every dental school.

I'm a current student at UMich, feel free to DM me with any questions

Members don't see this ad :)
Current D3 at Penn DM me if you have any questions. Seems based on your shorter "cons" list you'd rather go to Penn haha but Michigan is a great program and I'd say you'd be able to specialize out of there as "easily" as you would at some other "big name" schools! Both great options.

"Only 100k". Assuming you will be graduating at 26 years old. If you had that $100k difference invested in the S&P500 (10% return), by the time you are retirement age that "100k" is now worth $6 million.

Reactions: 2 users
"Only 100k". Assuming you will be graduating at 26 years old. If you had that $100k difference invested in the S&P500 (10% return), by the time you are retirement age that "100k" is now worth $6 million.
Hi! I do not mean it as only 100k however I’ve been told to only neglect price if it is less than a 200-250k difference. I’m out of state for Michigan and it will already cost me so much money. In my interview at my state school interview my interviewer asked me why dentistry and I responded and he promptly corrected me and said “I recommend dentistry to people because you’re a women and you need to be able to have children” additionally he asked me what I wanted to specialize in (something important to me is going into dental school flexible) but I answered maybe oral surgery bc I had orthognathic surgery myself and he responds with you absolutely cannot you’re a woman and you won’t be able to you’re a woman and you can’t spend all your time in the OR bc your a woman and you need to be able to have children. Obviously I was super appalled and for me at this point I do not want to attend my state school even though the price tag is extremely appealing. I would rather take out the loans than be belittled for identity. That being said, yes I am deciding between two schools that are very expensive. I majored in Spanish and spent a good amount of money at my undergrad university to study Spanish, and I would really like to work with Spanish speaking patients in dental school as that’s something I want to do in my future career and I’m not sure if it makes sense to go to Ann Arbor as I believe I won’t have this opportunity.