MHA Question/Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mholler64

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Not sure where else to post this type of question but here is my situation:

I recently graduated with a Bachelor in Science (Exercise Science). I'm thinking about pursuing a Masters in Healthcare Administration, but my question is can I pursue this degree without having a lot of business experience and would my job search be difficult? I chose my undergrad degree because I was originally planning to go to PT school but I'm having second thoughts and have been exploring other career ideas. I guess I'm basically asking if this would be a good choice for me or just another 'useless' degree in a sense at my stage in life. I say this because I feel like the people who pursue a MHA are older and have been working in a certain setting for some time and need it to move up in their current company, so am I too young to get this degree? Any advice or comments are welcome, I'm here to hear what everyone has to say and hear some productive advice.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi Mholler,

From what I can tell, MHA programs take all kinds. You might want to check out student profiles that some schools, like UAB post. One thing to note is that prior job experience will likely give you an edge in placement and salary after the program. But it looks to me that there are more than a few students in top programs that have <1 year relevant experience.

My advice though is do yourself a favor and get a job in healthcare before you apply. Make sure the industry matches your needs before committing the time and treasure to a specialized grad degree.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

At the core you need to ask yourself what it is you ACTUALLY want to do. If you wanted to be a Healthcare Exec then it certainly may be useful but if you are not sure then I would be cautious. I agree with Hootenanny in so far as getting exposure to the Healthcare Industry in more detail as it is not for everyone but may be for you.

I would focus on the end game. Look at it what you wanted to do in the long term and then consider would the Masters facilitate that. In order to answer that in more detail you may need to speak to Grads of the Masters program or the Program Directors. I certainly don't think you are too young.

Best of luck

Paddy
TheDoctorParadox.com

Hello everyone,

Not sure where else to post this type of question but here is my situation:

I recently graduated with a Bachelor in Science (Exercise Science). I'm thinking about pursuing a Masters in Healthcare Administration, but my question is can I pursue this degree without having a lot of business experience and would my job search be difficult? I chose my undergrad degree because I was originally planning to go to PT school but I'm having second thoughts and have been exploring other career ideas. I guess I'm basically asking if this would be a good choice for me or just another 'useless' degree in a sense at my stage in life. I say this because I feel like the people who pursue a MHA are older and have been working in a certain setting for some time and need it to move up in their current company, so am I too young to get this degree? Any advice or comments are welcome, I'm here to hear what everyone has to say and hear some productive advice.

Thanks in advance!

I agree with the advice to get some experience in the field. Not only does it make you more competitive for the problem, but more importantly you will have context to absorb the information delivered in your MHA classes.