MHA 2018: Applied, Interviewed, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted to BU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Anyone else getting all of these SOPHAS virtual Fair emails? My heart jumps everytime I get a new email. So much disappointment in one day.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t know if someone posted this already but UMinn is supposedly sending out scholarship information this week for those accepted

Got an email for an interview at Pitt... I'm kind of tired of interviews now :sleep:

Which university would you guys consider to be the best for MHA? I know US News report and all say UMich, but what are your thoughts about it?

I don’t know if someone posted this already but UMinn is supposedly sending out scholarship information this week for those accepted

Sorry to piggyback, but GWU scholarships are being sent out next week

Reactions: 1 users
Which university would you guys consider to be the best for MHA? I know US News report and all say UMich, but what are your thoughts about it?

That report was from 2015 though, so things might have changed a bit. I wish they would release a new report.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got a $5,000 per year scholarship and 25% Research Assistant Position at Minnesota!

Reactions: 8 users
Also got my scholarship offer from UMN today! I'm very torn though because I really loved OSU and want to see if they will be offering anything as well.. :(

Reactions: 6 users

It really depends on what you value in a program. A lot of programs are well-rounded and are great academically. Many of the top 15 schools have their own strengths that make them unique. It’s really subjective given that an MHA program isn’t just judged by its academics.

Reactions: 3 users
Also got my scholarship offer from UMN today! I'm very torn though because I really loved OSU and want to see if they will be offering anything as well.. :(

That's how I feel about Michigan! I hope they make my decision easy!

Those who got into UMinn, when did your Application go for review?

Hi. Has anyone heard from UC Berkeley yet for HPM?
I applied on 12/01 and received the 'application received' email on 01/11.

Just got into UPitt... which is really weird since my interview is tomorrow... I wonder if the email was accidentally sent to me.

Just got into UPitt... which is really weird since my interview is tomorrow... I wonder if the email was accidentally sent to me.

That’s so odd lol. How would the interview even work?

Hi! I’m hoping y’all can help me out. A couple of days ago, I checked the status of my Mich app online. I saw a message that said I’ve been recommended to the program but that it’s not official until verification takes place.

Any idea what this might mean??

I got my acceptance to Hopkins today! :banana:

Has anyone heard back VCU yet? I interviewed with them nearly two months ago and they said I'd have an answer last week but no one from the department will respond to my emails...

Congrats on JHU! I just had my Hopkins yesterday and my gut feeling tells me that it didn't go so well...but Teresa told me I should definitely reach out if I wanted to be connected with a past student, but decisions wouldn't be sent out until mid-February. Do you think it's worth the time to reach out? I'm also unaware of the number of applicants interviewed vs. number of applicants accepted?

Hi! I’m hoping y’all can help me out. A couple of days ago, I checked the status of my Mich app online. I saw a message that said I’ve been recommended to the program but that it’s not official until verification takes place.

Any idea what this might mean??
Yeah I had the same thing..you’ll mostly get your official admit email in a couple of days after you see that message.

I am a tad bid nervous guys, I have only gotten interviews, no acceptances. I have interviews coming up at UIC, OSU, U Wash and SLU. Has anybody interviewed at these schools and could offer some advice? The interview and no acceptance thing is driving me crazy, but I think it is because I had a terrible undergrad GPA, but a good excuse for my poor performance.

I am a tad bid nervous guys, I have only gotten interviews, no acceptances. I have interviews coming up at UIC, OSU, U Wash and SLU. Has anybody interviewed at these schools and could offer some advice? The interview and no acceptance thing is driving me crazy, but I think it is because I had a terrible undergrad GPA, but a good excuse for my poor performance.
I could help you with UIC since i had mine on 31st Jan and got my acceptance today itself, on 1st Feb. They do ask quite a lot of questions regarding almost everything in your application and SOP and there are two people interviewing you, the program co-ordinator and another faculty member, but they’re nice about it and really cool. You don’t have to worry about it, just answer naturally. They say you’ll get the decision in a week’s time, but I heard back in a day, so I guess that depends on how the interview goes.
If you’ve gotten an interview, that’s good. Most schools have interviews as the second round, so they’ve looked past your GPA and want to know more about you, so you can still make a great impression.

Congrats on JHU! I just had my Hopkins yesterday and my gut feeling tells me that it didn't go so well...but Teresa told me I should definitely reach out if I wanted to be connected with a past student, but decisions wouldn't be sent out until mid-February. Do you think it's worth the time to reach out? I'm also unaware of the number of applicants interviewed vs. number of applicants accepted?

I would reach out if it was me, you want to have the information you would need to have for when you get accepted. Many people, including myself, have been accepted by schools that they felt they didn't have a great feeling about the interview. So keep your head up and think positive.

I don't know how many applications they get also...but I know that their class size is ~25-30 students per cohort.

Reactions: 1 users
I could help you with UIC since i had mine on 31st Jan and got my acceptance today itself, on 1st Feb. They do ask quite a lot of questions regarding almost everything in your application and SOP and there are two people interviewing you, the program co-ordinator and another faculty member, but they’re nice about it and really cool. You don’t have to worry about it, just answer naturally. They say you’ll get the decision in a week’s time, but I heard back in a day, so I guess that depends on how the interview goes.
If you’ve gotten an interview, that’s good. Most schools have interviews as the second round, so they’ve looked past your GPA and want to know more about you, so you can still make a great impression.
Thats good to know, thank you for the comforting words.

Got an invite for UW visit day!

Yeah I had the same thing..you’ll mostly get your official admit email in a couple of days after you see that message.
You’ve got to be kidding me. This means that I’ve (unofficially) been accepted into Mich?!??! Oh my goodness!

You’ve got to be kidding me. This means that I’ve (unofficially) been accepted into Mich?!??! Oh my goodness!
Haha! I had the exact same reaction and totally refused to believe it, but 2 days later I got my official acceptance email. I hope its the same for you..good luck! :)

Does anyone know if interviews are mandatory for Columbia, Johns Hopkins or Michigan? I applied pretty late (mid January) so I'm not freaking out yet, but I haven't been contacted by any schools except to say my application was received.

Does anyone know if interviews are mandatory for Columbia, Johns Hopkins or Michigan? I applied pretty late (mid January) so I'm not freaking out yet, but I haven't been contacted by any schools except to say my application was received.

im like 90% sure its mandatory for columbia. Try emailing them (they are SUPER responsive) and see if they received your application! :) good luck

Just received an email for UM visit day for HPM admitted students, but I haven't received an offer yet from them. Can I regard this as a "potential" offer?

im like 90% sure its mandatory for columbia. Try emailing them (they are SUPER responsive) and see if they received your application! :) good luck
Emailed and got a response right away - if any one else applied after the priority deadline of Dec. 1, the decision will come in the middle of March! Guess I have a lot of waiting to do.

Emailed and got a response right away - if any one else applied after the priority deadline of Dec. 1, the decision will come in the middle of March! Guess I have a lot of waiting to do.
Ahh good luck!!! i hope it all works out :) the wait is incredibly nervewracking haha.

Just received an email for UM visit day for HPM admitted students, but I haven't received an offer yet from them. Can I regard this as a "potential" offer?
Same! Was just about to ask the same question. But the email says "congrats on your admission"

Just left Cornell. Holy crap this school and program are absolutely amazing. Can’t wait to go back as an official student in the Fall

Reactions: 4 users
Just left Cornell. Holy crap this school and program are absolutely amazing. Can’t wait to go back as an official student in the Fall

I second this!

Did anyone get any responses from Cornell today?

I would reach out if it was me, you want to have the information you would need to have for when you get accepted. Many people, including myself, have been accepted by schools that they felt they didn't have a great feeling about the interview. So keep your head up and think positive.

I don't know how many applications they get also...but I know that their class size is ~25-30 students per cohort.
That's true, I will go ahead and reach out! Thanks again!

I GOT IN AT UMINN!!!
Congrats again! Do you happen to have any good tips for the interview? Mine is scheduled for next week and am quite nervous!

Congrats again! Do you happen to have any good tips for the interview? Mine is scheduled for next week and am quite nervous!
I would sure make sure you know where you want to go with your degree and know your transcripts and SOP. My interview was semi-relaxed, but they were very interested in my goal of working with health advocacy groups and how attending UMinn would help me reach that goal. And overall I would say be confident in yourself! If you have any more questions let me know!

OFFICIALLY IN AT UMICH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 5 users