Mevion Proton Therapy Delivered to Wash U in St Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seldon1985

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Probably older news for some, but this was a hot topic last year when I was interviewing. It looks like Mevion (formerly Still River) delivered its first proton machine to Wash U at the end of 2011, with others to follow. Here's the link

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting.

I remember that there were several commentaries a few years ago regarding photons vs. protons and whether they should be directly compared rather than just saying that protons are superior based on dosimetry studies. Have there been any major studies since then supporting the general idea that protons >> photons? A quick search on PubMed hasn't yielded anything significant, but perhaps I chose poor search criteria. (PS. I do understand that protons are better for certain tumor sites, where there are critical structures nearby, etc)

I am still waiting for the Tomotherapy proton spin-off.
http://www.cpac.pro/
I remember reading about this on SDN a while back! I'm surprised it hasn't come out yet. The thought of Tomo + protons sounds pretty awesome!

Truly interesting read, thank you.

@GFunk: I love that example... some of my med school profs used to bring it up.

I recently came across Ezekiel Emanuel's opinion article (from 1/2/12) on proton therapy. He discusses a couple of the new proton centers coming up at Mayo Rochester and Mayo Arizona - but no mention of Mevion. Here's the link

Very exciting news! We toured the vault on my interview last year, it was impressive.

The only area where it feels like the majority of people acknowledge the superiority of protons is pediatric craniospinal axis. Other than that, the opinions I encountered interviewing (I asked about it a lot...it was a great opportunity to poll the field and kill a little time in the hot seat :) ) were all over the map.

The only area where it feels like the majority of people acknowledge the superiority of protons is pediatric craniospinal axis. Other than that, the opinions I encountered interviewing (I asked about it a lot...it was a great opportunity to poll the field and kill a little time in the hot seat :) ) were all over the map.
I wouldn't restrict it only to CSI for children. There is great potential and benefit of protons in posterior fossa irradiation (ependymoma) or for parameningeal rhabdomyosarcoma in children. Side effects (Cochlea, Gl. lacrimalis) are generally lower and you treat "less" brain.

Futhermore you have the case of skull base chordomas and condrosarcomas in children and adults, where protons are very helpful. However, carbons may be even better for these patients, if you have them.

Last edited:
I wouldn't restrict it only to CSI for children. There is great potential and benefit of protons in posterior fossa irradiation (ependymoma) or for parameningeal rhabdomyosarcoma in children. Side effects (Cochlea, Gl. lacrimalis) are generally lower and you treat "less" brain.

Futhermore you have the case of skull base chordomas and condrosarcomas in children and adults, where protons are very helpful. However, carbons may be even better for these patients, if you have them.
One can only dream of this in the US.../dreamyface