Mentorship or Manipulation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amelogenin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a new dentist, just graduated a few months ago and now I'm practicing. I joined a corporate office and I'm working as an associate in a corporate-owned office with another dentist with 20+ years of experience. He doesn't own the practice but he acts like he owns the place, telling people where they can and can't eat, bringing in his own equipment to do procedures, holding impromptu meetings during which he just browbeats and scolds people into submission and agreement. He even has taken it upon himself to form a practice plan everyone follows, changing commonly known phrases into things that he thinks sound more appropriate, like "recare" instead of "recall". Everyone answers to him, not me- and sometimes the RDAs and RDHs are defiant when I tell them something other than what he has ingrained in their minds (even on days when I'm the only dentist there). He sometimes even stands outside operatories when I am working with patients to listen in on our conversations. He reviews all of my cases and has even told me that he is going to go through all of my cases one by one and change treatment plans to what he sees fit if he has to. He has done that before without telling me, and I was really annoyed when he did that, but he was very unapologetic. He gives good advice but he is seriously overbearing and controlling- he tells me what to say to patients, how to say it, what to treatment plan and when. He even told me that I absolutely have to treatment plan quadrant CHX irrigation with SRP, despite the fact that I rightly noted that irrigation does not provide any real improvement in pocket reduction. He basically told me that I have no real world experience and that I was speaking out of my @$$.

Now I'm thinking that I am seriously going to have trouble working here with this guy always breathing down my throat. I joined corporate so that I could be my own boss, not someone's slave and puppet. I want mentorship but I feel like at this office it's coming at a price of my sanity and ethics. I've only been here one month and I'm having serious doubts about the longevity of this abusive/manipulative work relationship. Any advice would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you need to start contacting other offices.

But is the rest of corporate dentistry like this? Or is this an isolated case?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an RDH with 6.5 years of experience and I am applying to dental school. I'll give you my two cents, for what it is worth. I've worked in offices for dentists like the one you are describing except it was private, not corporate. I've also worked in offices where I cried when I left (not voluntarily... military) because it was such a great place to work because the dentists were rockstars and treated everyone with respect. These dentists are one of the reasons that I am applying to dental school. Unfortunately, this is dentistry. You have one end of the spectrum that makes you rethink your decision to go into dentistry and then you have the other end that makes you fall in love with it all over again. I will add this side note "recall," and "recare," it's same thing and yes, more people in dentistry say that than your lovely coworker. I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about that.

Ah, corporate dentistry... I feel like you answered your own question. Most corporate environments are similar to what you are describing. You will never get the authority that you want. You will always be a slave to the head dentist, the office manager, or the "higher ups" who have zero dental experience. I had a colleague that worked for a corporate chain for about a month. Your treatment is dictated by insurance and whatever deal-de-jour the corporate office sees fit to make you push. My advice on corporate... run away... quickly. There's a reason why a lot of corporate companies are getting the mess sued out of them. Be an apprentice in a private practice, work for the VA, work for a branch of the military as a civilian or heck, even active if that's something you can go... get out of corporate or at least the situation you are in for the time being. It sounds like it is not for you. You spent too much time, effort, and capital into your education to be a good dentist to not enjoy it.

You have to reconcile your idea of real world dentistry with what private practice dentistry is like. That guy is probably the lead dentist so he's tasked with "leading" the office. Sounds like he's being an ass with a sense of entitlement, I know because I once had a overbearing boss like that. Some people try to rule like a dictator because they lack good leadership skills and that's the only way they know how to manage people. You're never going to be able to change your bosses mind for 2 reasons - he thinks his experience trumps yours (in some ways it does, some way it doesn't) and he's thinking about things from a business point of view (hence he tx plans irrigation because some s*it HMO capitation plans make you do SRPs for free so you only get paid if you upcharge the pt something).

More often than not corporate chains will not give you autonomy, especially if they take HMOs. Look up how HMO capitation plans work and you will see why. I would look for a part time job on the side with the intent of transitioning full time. The ideal practice is hard to find, so be flexible within reason. Otherwise clinging to ideal dentistry that you practiced in school can discourage some employers from hiring you. Feel free to PM me or check out the dentaltown.com forums if you'd like more feedback.

But if I leave so soon, won't it look bad on my resume?

But if I leave so soon, won't it look bad on my resume?

This is not uncommon. You can look for jobs while you are working and take your time (if you really want to). Having been in this situation, you can ask that they not contact your previous employer due to these reasons. Don't give names and find a tactful way to explain your plight. Above all don't get emotional about it. The right employer will understand.

I was in a similar situation as you were in, about a year ago when I first graduated from Dental School. To break it down for you I graduated from Dental School abroad in 2012 then worked for a year in our family practice, went back to school again here in America 13'-15'. After graduating here I wanted to see how Corporate offices work. So against many peoples advice I took a job with them. All in all I wouldn't regret it because a wise man told me sometimes bad situations teach us what we definitely don't want in life. Unfortunately the world is not filled with the greatest men/woman, its actually rare to find decent people these days. So in most given situations it's a hit and miss with your employers, I generally heard that you switch about 2-3 offices before you land a good job and that's pretty much what happened with me (again you learn from experiences). As far as the director in the office, he doesn't sound like a good person that will let you grow and challenge yourself, also you don't need that kind of negativity in your day. I also felt like I was seeing a lot of unethical over treatment being done specially with SRP's and Crowns.
As far as your CV is involved you can include what you want and leave out what you don't want, this is not an official governmental/institutional paper, it's a 2D representation of who you are, in my opinion I would include it either way, you don't have to lie about anything, who knows it might prevent you from starting work with another potential over treater. You need to think about being Mentored (Cause who doesn't) and about making money, sometimes one goes against the other but find your balance. I am now working 4 days a week for a great office, don't make as much money cause i'm not the only dentist but it's top notch quality and 2 days a week I shadow a Dental God doing his own lab work magic in the basement. Like RDH22 mentioned, some dentist will make you love Dentistry, that's who you need to surround yourself with.

Good luck!

My first job was at a corporate dental office and I hated it from the beginning. My experience was similar to yours. I would look for a different job because it doesn't sound like it would get any better.

Sounds like that guy is a ****ty person. Screw him. Find another job. It's that simple.

Last edited:
But is the rest of corporate dentistry like this? Or is this an isolated case?

I worked in a corporate office where dentists were given almost complete independence.

Reactions: 1 user