Mediocre MCAT -> Will need to reapply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsmith34534634

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got my score back and got a <504. I wanted to take a gap year initially, but was forced into applying ED this cycle by my parents. I really only studied for 1.5 months, so I'm not surprised it didn't go well. I think there's like 10% chance that I'll be accepted to the school I applied to.

I'm interested in doing a Master's in Data Science/Informatics, which I can apply hopefully apply in a clinical research setting.

Overall I think i have a solid application, but looking for advice on what else I should be doing in order to maximize the upcoming year.

Members don't see this ad.

How is your GPA? If that is solid, then you could think about the Master's (mainly if you're interested in the topic. It won't vastly improve your app). If MCAT is your main weakness, then do what it takes to improve that while continuing any research, volunteer, and clinical work you may be doing.

Just got my score back and got a <504. I wanted to take a gap year initially, but was forced into applying ED this cycle by my parents. I really only studied for 1.5 months, so I'm not surprised it didn't go well. I think there's like 10% chance that I'll be accepted to the school I applied to.

I'm interested in doing a Master's in Data Science/Informatics, which I can apply hopefully apply in a clinical research setting.

Overall I think i have a solid application, but looking for advice on what else I should be doing in order to maximize the upcoming year.
Without knowing more about you, it's hard to say what else you should be doing. What kind of clinical exposure do you have? What have you done in the way of service to the underserved? any research? Any distinctive elements to your background or experience? Are you aiming for MD? DO? Do you want to add a PhD to it? What's your GPA, as Dral asked. Science GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
How is your GPA? If that is solid, then you could think about the Master's (mainly if you're interested in the topic. It won't vastly improve your app). If MCAT is your main weakness, then do what it takes to improve that while continuing any research, volunteer, and clinical work you may be doing.
3.80+ for both core and science.

Without knowing more about you, it's hard to say what else you should be doing. What kind of clinical exposure do you have? What have you done in the way of service to the underserved? any research? Any distinctive elements to your background or experience? Are you aiming for MD? DO? Do you want to add a PhD to it? What's your GPA, as Dral asked. Science GPA?
I've worked a clinical job for a year and have over 600 hrs. I have volunteered at a food pantry and volunteer as a tutor for a non-profit, although I could put more time here than I have. I also have 4 3rd publications, and interested in research.

I am interested in MD schools, but don't want to pursue a PhD alongside it. Both science and core GPA are 3.8+.

I am ORM Asian.

I've worked a clinical job for a year and have over 600 hrs. I have volunteered at a food pantry and volunteer as a tutor for a non-profit, although I could put more time here than I have. I also have 4 3rd publications, and interested in research.

I am interested in MD schools, but don't want to pursue a PhD alongside it. Both science and core GPA are 3.8+.

I am ORM Asian.
As you know you need a significant improvement in your MCAT score if you are serious about MD programs. Your GPA is fine. Realize that your masters is something that you are primarily doing for your personal and professional growth -- it won't help much if at all from an admissions perspective. Med schools may wonder why are are pursuing it if you want to be a clinician. You should be able to give them a good answer as you discuss the kind of clinical research you want to do. Keep up working in a clinical setting at least part-time while you pursue your masters and if possible some of your non-clinical volunteering.

Reactions: 1 user

Stop listening to your parents.

The MCAT is a high stakes, career deciding exam. Taking the exam when you have not adequately prepared for it does reflect on your judgment.

Med schools aren't going anywhere. So retake the exam, but only when you are 100% ready

Last edited:
As you know you need a significant improvement in your MCAT score if you are serious about MD programs. Your GPA is fine. Realize that your masters is something that you are primarily doing for your personal and professional growth -- it won't help much if at all from an admissions perspective. Med schools may wonder why are are pursuing it if you want to be a clinician. You should be able to give them a good answer as you discuss the kind of clinical research you want to do. Keep up working in a clinical setting at least part-time while you pursue your masters and if possible some of your non-clinical volunteering.
Thank you.

Stop listening to your parents.

The MCAT is a high stakes, career deciding exam. Taking the exam when you have not adequately prepared for it does reflect on your judgment.

Med schools aren't going anywhere. So we take the exam, but only when you are 100% ready
i wish I had resisted more or just voided the day of. I will be sure to to give myself plenty of time next time around.

In general to get an interview to a US MD school your really need to get above a 510 on the MCAT. Withou that score all these masters programs won't do anything for you.

The average MCAT for matriculants is 512. You do not need above a 510 to get an interview.
Just trying to make sense. If the average MCAT for a matriculant is 512 why would you tell someone they don't need above a 510? Just curious.

Just trying to make sense. If the average MCAT for a matriculant is 512 why would you tell someone they don't need above a 510? Just curious.
Because they don't.

Refer to good old Table A-23. Overall acceptance rate: 41.2%. Acceptance rate for those with an MCAT of 506-509: 41.0%.

A higher MCAT always improves the odds of acceptance, but in no universe does one need an MCAT above 510 to land an interview.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
In general to get an interview to a US MD school your really need to get above a 510 on the MCAT. Withou that score all these masters programs won't do anything for you.
I find this somewhat true. I have a 503 MCAT and interviewed at 2 US MD schools (One in state and one out of state)