Medical schools in Ireland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocNor

Reaction score
Which medical schools in Ireland do you recommend for a Norwegian?
From what i have readed, RCSI and Trinity are the most popular medical schools in Ireland, is that correct?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Which medical schools in Ireland do you recommend for a Norwegian?
From what i have readed, RCSI and Trinity are the most popular medical schools in Ireland, is that correct?

Hi DocNor,

Do you still want an answer to this? If so, I could perhaps help out here.

Are you a graduate (with a bachelor's degree) or straight out of high school?

Cheers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Straight out of High School

In that case, you'll need to apply via the CAO system. Unlike many Anglo-Saxon countries, there is no 'real' ranking system in Ireland. Instead, universities are more or less equal in terms of education standards and you'll find that the curricula are more or less the same across the board. Having said that, you're right in thinking that RCSI and Trinity have the better reputation. This might be primarily because of marketing rather than actual teaching.

When I was considering medical schools, I had actively looked into RCSI and UCD (for Graduate Entry Medicine rather than the longer course for high-school graduates). I tended to prefer RCSI as it's in central Dublin and the hospitals used for the rotations tend to be a little better.

I have one more question. I read that some universities/colleges offers a 5 years program for medicine studenr instead of the normal 6 years program. Do you know the different between those two programs?

I have one more question. I read that some universities/colleges offers a 5 years program for medicine studenr instead of the normal 6 years program. Do you know the different between those two programs?

They are more or less the same course in terms of recognition. The only difference occurs in terms of the options available to you and whether you've taken advanced science in high school.

The more important thing, in my opinion, will be if you want to go back to Norway after completing your internship year. If so, you will need to apply for this in your final year (whether you do the five or six-year course). Make sure you read up on getting your Irish degree recognised by the Norwegian authorities.