Medical School Possibility

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaa1220

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, there were an insufficient number of successful applicants from Jordan to be considered in the only available data: https://www.ecfmg.org/resources/NRM...atch-International-Medical-Graduates-2014.pdf
See page 22.

The only other hint is in the "all other" category with 252 matching and 546 failing to match.

The specialties you mention are included in newer data sets: http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Charting-Outcomes-in-the-Match-2018-IMGs.pdf
Ophthalmology has a separate match.
No US IMG's matched into NS.
61 US IMG's matched into GS. 122 did not.

If you are not a US citizen (or permanent resident) you will see outcomes listed under non-US IMG in these publications.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

I am going into my second year of school at American University and I am planning to apply to medical school. However, I have two options and am not sure which is better. My first year at AU was very bad—my cumulative gpa for that year was a 2.6 (3.1 s1, 2.1 s2). I did poorly on chemistry in both semesters and will probably have to retake them using freshman forgiveness this year. With this kind of GPA, what are my chances of getting into any medical school? What kind of GPA am I going to need going forward to get into a med school?

Another option I have is going to an international medical school. I have some family in Jordan, and the medical school there is not too difficult to get into and it is a 6 year combined program. However, to get in I will have to take 7 SAT II tests and do well and apply in December for spring semester admission. How hard will it be to match into residency upon graduation? I am primarily interested in ophthalmology and other surgical fields like thoracic, neuro, maybe gen surgery. Thanks!
With that GPA? Zero.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am going into my second year of school at American University and I am planning to apply to medical school. However, I have two options and am not sure which is better. My first year at AU was very bad—my cumulative gpa for that year was a 2.6 (3.1 s1, 2.1 s2). I did poorly on chemistry in both semesters and will probably have to retake them using freshman forgiveness this year. With this kind of GPA, what are my chances of getting into any medical school? What kind of GPA am I going to need going forward to get into a med school?

Another option I have is going to an international medical school. I have some family in Jordan, and the medical school there is not too difficult to get into and it is a 6 year combined program. However, to get in I will have to take 7 SAT II tests and do well and apply in December for spring semester admission. How hard will it be to match into residency upon graduation? I am primarily interested in ophthalmology and other surgical fields like thoracic, neuro, maybe gen surgery. Thanks!
Assuming you are a US citizen or green card holder: The average matriculant to US MD schools has a 3.71 cGPA and 3.64 sGPA. With three years of straight 4.0 grades, I calculated you'd get up to a 3.4. The average matriculant to US DO med schools has a 3.53 cGPA and SGPA of 3.43. With a strong enough MCAT score, that might be a more reasonable goal for you, if attending med school in the USA is important to you and you don't want to spend several more years taking college-level courses to raise your GPAs further. There is an alternative (expensive) option, attending a Special Masters Program in the US after college graduation, but a very high GPA would be imperative for this sort of GPA repair effort, too.

Reactions: 1 users
FYI-even if you retake classes under your college’s Feshman Forgiveness( or whatever you called it) ALL of you grades will be used to calculate your GPAs for any med school. So even though the original low grades might not be included in your school
GPA they will be included when you apply to med school.

Reactions: 2 users
If you maintain this current trajectory wrt GPA, your odds are zero... if you kill it the next few years and do solid on the MCAT, your odds at DO are decent, and your odds at MD are slim, but not zero.

So based on all this feedback, in terms of international medical school, would it be much more difficult to match into one of the specialties that I listed I was interested in?
It would be extremely difficult for you to match into highly competitive residency as IMG. With your current academic record you should be concerned with just getting into medical school prior to considering residency

So based on all this feedback, in terms of international medical school, would it be much more difficult to match into one of the specialties that I listed I was interested in?
If you had extremely high Step scores (US Medical Licensing Exams) your best chance for one of those specialties would be general surgery.

Status
Not open for further replies.