Medical School After Pharmacy School - AMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SkullbaseFoLyfe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Im a fifth year ENT resident who finished pharmacy school (6 year program) and went straight to med school (decided halfway through, built up application during pharm school, and applied during last year of pharm school to start right after graduation). Currently a chief ENT resident in a large academic program. Always looking to advise others who are considering/interested in pursuing a similar path. Would be happy to answer any questions about pursuing a medical career after finishing pharmacy school!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Hello everyone. Im a fifth year ENT resident who finished pharmacy school (6 year program) and went straight to med school (decided halfway through, built up application during pharm school, and applied during last year of pharm school to start right after graduation). Currently a chief ENT resident in a large academic program. Always looking to advise others who are considering/interested in pursuing a similar path. Would be happy to answer any questions about pursuing a medical career after finishing pharmacy school!

Did you work as a RPh while in med school?

How did you pay for it? Did student loans cover tuition, etc for undergrad, pharmacy, and med school?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
holy ****. Where you loans above $1 million?

We had one guy who did that. Finished pharmacy school and went straight to med school.

I have often wondered about one thing. Schools that require BS/ BA degree, would they waive the requirement if you have PharmD but don’t have baccalaureate from undergrad?

Schools that require BS/ BA degree, would they waive the requirement if you have PharmD but don’t have baccalaureate from undergrad?
Definitely. I asked a Masters of Science program if the PharmD satisfies the BS/BA requirement and they said yes

I applaud the discipline it takes to do that and delaying life gratification even further.

Curious what your student loan total is?

If you had a do-over - would you still pursue medical school?

Reactions: 1 users
Did you work as a RPh while in med school?

How did you pay for it? Did student loans cover tuition, etc for undergrad, pharmacy, and med school?

Worked as a per diem pharmacist in a hospital. Would basically arrange schedule around tests - was not overly burdensome. I think I averaged four 8hr shifts a month. More when I was on lighter blocks in school.

Essentially took out loans to pay for tuition but paid my living expenses with my job.

Why not goto to medical school initially?
I basically decided very early in life to go to pharmacy school. Had some exposure to pharmacy while in high school and decided to pursue a 6 year program. Had some people drop out of my pharm class to go to med school, but they all ended up taking a gap year to build up their applications. So I figured it would make more sense to stay in the program and get the PharmD, rather than drop out halfway through and have nothing to show for it.

holy ****. Where you loans above $1 million?
Thankfully its not that bad at all. Got very lucky and went to a public school for both pharmacy and medicine. Also had a good combination of generous parents + scholarship + solid job as a pharmacy tech that I maintained throughout pharm school. Ended up with 40k after pharmacy school. Med school was much more loan heavy (parents were basically like - 'this is crazy and its on you', which is fair) and I ended up with a total of 200k. Could certainly be better, but I know that it can definitely be much much worse. My current plan is to attempt to pay off my loans in 2-3 years after starting my first attending job - will see how that works.

We had one guy who did that. Finished pharmacy school and went straight to med school.

I have often wondered about one thing. Schools that require BS/ BA degree, would they waive the requirement if you have PharmD but don’t have baccalaureate from undergrad?
Most of the schools I applied to actually list PharmD as an acceptable prerequisite degree on their websites. Was only an issue at Jefferson, where I was told that I should 'go to my pharm school and ask if they can give me a bachelor degree'. I proceeded to laugh my head off and took them off my application.

Out of the ears, nose, and throat which is your favorite, and why?
Nose! Sinus surgery is very very fun. Its essentially a video game where you control your view with one hand and instrument with the other. For an even better video game comparison you can even add the fact that it has inverted controls - I have to pull the camera down to look up. But on a more serious note sinus anatomy is complex and the relationship of the sinuses to the orbits and anterior skull base is absolutely amazing. I will be doing a one year fellowship after graduation where I will be learning how to do complex sinus and anterior skull base procedures. The simplest and most common example of this is pituitary surgery where ENT creates a surgical conduit through the nose that then allows the neurosurgeon to remove the tumor. The ENT then does the reconstruction of the surgical site, which often involves sealing up a CSF leak.

I applaud the discipline it takes to do that and delaying life gratification even further.

Curious what your student loan total is?

If you had a do-over - would you still pursue medical school?
I honestly didnt see it as delayed life gratification. I just got to the point where I realized I would forever regret it if I didnt at least try to apply to medical school. And once I was there the decision was easy. Plus I honestly dont feel like ive sacrificed THAT much. School and residency is busy, but there is enough time to enjoy life. Despite the long hours I do feel like I spend a good amount of time with my wife, my family, and my friends. Its not as much as others, but its way more than I expected and it doesnt feel like Im always missing everything.

I think I would probably still do medicine. When I was still a pharmacy student almost every doctor I asked told me not to go to medical school (except an ENT ironically enough). I was told that everything becomes a job after a while. And you dont believe it because you have this naive passion - but its honestly true. The thrill of things fade and the administrative BS creeps up and it is most definitely a job a lot of the time. But I honestly love the patient interactions: I love having a patient in clinic tell me that they want me there for their surgery because they trust me; I love telling a worried family member that everything went ok in the OR; I love having frank discussions of risks/benefits/alternatives and truly explaining to the patient what their diagnosis is and what the next steps are. Its immensely satisfying and (almost) always makes the job worth it. I recognize that going to medical school is not necessary to obtain a similar kind of satisfaction - I am certain that there plenty of other healthcare careers out there that give you the same kind of satisfaction. But I think medicine and particularly a surgical subspecialty such as ENT is a good fit for me.

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
thank you for answering questions. I really wanted to do this. Most of my high school friends are Doctors. And so is my dad and brother. I was 24 when I became Rph. Everyone told me the same thing while I was in pharmacy that I should have opted for med school but I did not. That is the biggest regret of my life. I thought it was too late to start med school. plus my priorities were different too.
Kudos to your hard work and dedication. wish you good luck!!

How much harder is medical school vs pharmacy school?

Worked as a per diem pharmacist in a hospital. Would basically arrange schedule around tests - was not overly burdensome. I think I averaged four 8hr shifts a month. More when I was on lighter blocks in school.

Essentially took out loans to pay for tuition but paid my living expenses with my job.

I basically decided very early in life to go to pharmacy school. Had some exposure to pharmacy while in high school and decided to pursue a 6 year program. Had some people drop out of my pharm class to go to med school, but they all ended up taking a gap year to build up their applications. So I figured it would make more sense to stay in the program and get the PharmD, rather than drop out halfway through and have nothing to show for it.

Thankfully its not that bad at all. Got very lucky and went to a public school for both pharmacy and medicine. Also had a good combination of generous parents + scholarship + solid job as a pharmacy tech that I maintained throughout pharm school. Ended up with 40k after pharmacy school. Med school was much more loan heavy (parents were basically like - 'this is crazy and its on you', which is fair) and I ended up with a total of 200k. Could certainly be better, but I know that it can definitely be much much worse. My current plan is to attempt to pay off my loans in 2-3 years after starting my first attending job - will see how that works.

Most of the schools I applied to actually list PharmD as an acceptable prerequisite degree on their websites. Was only an issue at Jefferson, where I was told that I should 'go to my pharm school and ask if they can give me a bachelor degree'. I proceeded to laugh my head off and took them off my application.

Nose! Sinus surgery is very very fun. Its essentially a video game where you control your view with one hand and instrument with the other. For an even better video game comparison you can even add the fact that it has inverted controls - I have to pull the camera down to look up. But on a more serious note sinus anatomy is complex and the relationship of the sinuses to the orbits and anterior skull base is absolutely amazing. I will be doing a one year fellowship after graduation where I will be learning how to do complex sinus and anterior skull base procedures. The simplest and most common example of this is pituitary surgery where ENT creates a surgical conduit through the nose that then allows the neurosurgeon to remove the tumor. The ENT then does the reconstruction of the surgical site, which often involves sealing up a CSF leak.

I honestly didnt see it as delayed life gratification. I just got to the point where I realized I would forever regret it if I didnt at least try to apply to medical school. And once I was there the decision was easy. Plus I honestly dont feel like ive sacrificed THAT much. School and residency is busy, but there is enough time to enjoy life. Despite the long hours I do feel like I spend a good amount of time with my wife, my family, and my friends. Its not as much as others, but its way more than I expected and it doesnt feel like Im always missing everything.

I think I would probably still do medicine. When I was still a pharmacy student almost every doctor I asked told me not to go to medical school (except an ENT ironically enough). I was told that everything becomes a job after a while. And you dont believe it because you have this naive passion - but its honestly true. The thrill of things fade and the administrative BS creeps up and it is most definitely a job a lot of the time. But I honestly love the patient interactions: I love having a patient in clinic tell me that they want me there for their surgery because they trust me; I love telling a worried family member that everything went ok in the OR; I love having frank discussions of risks/benefits/alternatives and truly explaining to the patient what their diagnosis is and what the next steps are. Its immensely satisfying and (almost) always makes the job worth it. I recognize that going to medical school is not necessary to obtain a similar kind of satisfaction - I am certain that there plenty of other healthcare careers out there that give you the same kind of satisfaction. But I think medicine and particularly a surgical subspecialty such as ENT is a good fit for me.

Ahh, yeah then it makes sense. My loans are already in default at a balance above 500k from just private undergrad and pharmacy school and taking out way too much money during both.

• Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
Ahh, yeah then it makes sense. My loans are already in default at a balance above 500k from just private undergrad and pharmacy school and taking out way too much money during both.
Wait. Haven't you been out of school for quite a while, and are single? Are you just not making payments, or what?

Wait. Haven't you been out of school for quite a while, and are single? Are you just not making payments, or what?

I wasn't making payments in the first few years, went on forbearance/deferment a couple of times and the interest was added onto the principal so the balance just kept going up. After that, started making small payments but not the minimum payment that they wanted. Then I called up to ask about IBR/PAYE and I was in the process of sending the documentation in to get the program started but then covid started and payments were suspended.

• Okay...
Also curious about how much more difficult you perceived medical school to be.

Do you think your pharmacy background gave you any advantage?

Were you surprised about anything that was either omitted or not covered as in-depth as you had expected in med school?

I wasn't making payments in the first few years, went on forbearance/deferment a couple of times and the interest was added onto the principal so the balance just kept going up. After that, started making small payments but not the minimum payment that they wanted. Then I called up to ask about IBR/PAYE and I was in the process of sending the documentation in to get the program started but then covid started and payments were suspended.
How do you live know you are late or going to default on your loans? $500k? Did you not have financial planning?

How do you live know you are late or going to default on your loans? $500k? Did you not have financial planning?

Financial planning? Lmao no. As soon as I graduated, I was spending $2k a month on going out, $1k a month on car lease/insurance/gas, and $700 a month on paying my mom's mortgage while only making about $5k a month after taxes. If only I spent like $100 a month on buying Bitcoin after graduation in 2012...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Financial planning? Lmao no. As soon as I graduated, I was spending $2k a month on going out, $1k a month on car lease/insurance/gas, and $700 a month on paying my mom's mortgage while only making about $5k a month after taxes. If only I spent like $100 a month on buying Bitcoin after graduation in 2012...
But student loans should be on your fixed expenses… like take that out of your income. You don’t make $5k/month you make $3k…

But student loans should be on your fixed expenses… like take that out of your income. You don’t make $5k/month you make $3k…

Didn't realize that until later on when I called up the guy to get IBR started. About 9 months after graduation I started seeing bills asking for $4k-6k a month not to mention some of them were private loans from different companies from undergrad, so I took a look at them and just said fk it.

Were you surprised about anything that was either omitted or not covered as in-depth as you had expected in med school?
I'm not the OP but I am also a pharmD to MD and I would say my pharmacy background did help. However, I am a bit different from OP in that I worked retail for 6 years and then came back to medical school as a very nontraditional student, so I had long forgotten a lot of inpatient only stuff. But it definitely did help to be familiar with the vast majority of the drug names and MOAs on sight.

To add on to the topic, I am also happy to give any insight to any pharmacists/pharmD students who are considering this path. It's definitely possible and I have not regretted it for even one instant.

Reactions: 5 users
How much harder is medical school vs pharmacy school?

Honestly did not think that med school was significantly harder. It also had to do with now the two schools were structured. In pharm school we were routinely taking 4-5 classes at the same time which resulted in having 1.5 week periods where there would be a test every other day. And this would happen every 3-4 weeks. So you were constantly having to decide which class you should study for. In med school we had one main class at a time, and the class would be over in 4-6 weeks. So there would be a test every 2 weeks but there was only one thing that you had to study for - which made prioritizing study time much much easier. Plus with only a single class, we basically had 2-3hrs of lectures a day, and the rest of the day was free. There was some 'clinical' classes that we had to take (learning how to interview, learning how to do physical exam) but those classes did not really require any studying.

Pharmacy was very much skimmed over in med school. We had a single day of lectures on every single antibotic/antifungal/antiviral medication. They basically just threw a massive amount of info at us and hoped that some of it would stick. Having a pharmacy background certainly made that much much easier.

How bad is ENT residency? Do you routinely pull 80+ hour weeks?

I'm not the OP but I am also a pharmD to MD and I would say my pharmacy background did help. However, I am a bit different from OP in that I worked retail for 6 years and then came back to medical school as a very nontraditional student, so I had long forgotten a lot of inpatient only stuff. But it definitely did help to be familiar with the vast majority of the drug names and MOAs on sight.

To add on to the topic, I am also happy to give any insight to any pharmacists/pharmD students who are considering this path. It's definitely possible and I have not regretted it for even one instant.
How old were you when you started med school?

ENT is a coveted specialty.. Fair play to you for not settling for something just “comfortable”.

Pharmacy was very much skimmed over in med school. We had a single day of lectures on every single antibotic/antifungal/antiviral medication. They basically just threw a massive amount of info at us and hoped that some of it would stick. Having a pharmacy background certainly made that much much easier.

Well that's kinda terrifying. So all these meds that doctors prescribe were covered in a single day?

I had a medical intern try to order IV magnesium, but he wasn't sure whether to choose the mag sulf 2g/50mL injection or the mag citrate 17.45gm/300mL bottle.

• Wow
How bad is ENT residency? Do you routinely pull 80+ hour weeks?

2nd year is the worst because most of our primary call is concentrated in that time. Was probably doing 80 fairly commonly on the tougher rotations. But we have easier rotations that arent nearly as bad (50-60). As a senior resident a lot of our work is centered around the OR. If you are on a rotation with lots of shorter ambulatory cases its not uncommon for residents to go home by 5pm or earlier. But some tougher rotations with lots of head and neck cancer cases can have long days. Was in the OR until midnight last week, but thats not common at all.

ENT is a coveted specialty.. Fair play to you for not settling for something just “comfortable”.

Knew what I was interested in and worked very hard in medical school to make myself a competitive applicant. Didnt want to switch careers and then 'barely scrape by' so to speak. Although every single specialty in medicine has coveted spots. When youre applying to surgical subspecialties then matching into any spot is considered a win (just because there arent a lot of spots - for example there are only 300ish ENT spots in the country). But if youre going for internal medicine (I think there are 10,000 or so positions) then matching isnt difficult, but getting a good spot can be just as challenging as matching into ENT.

Well that's kinda terrifying. So all these meds that doctors prescribe were covered in a single day?

I had a medical intern try to order IV magnesium, but he wasn't sure whether to choose the mag sulf 2g/50mL injection or the mag citrate 17.45gm/300mL bottle.

Its kind of terrifying - but a lot of learning happens on 3rd/4th year clinical rotations. And obviously a ton of learning happens in residency. So yes - first day interns might not be as comfortable with meds as a first day pharmacist. But the knowledge quickly catches up throughout residency. (Of course no medicine resident will ever be as good as a pharmacist...)

Pharmacists have a theoretical knowledge of how drugs work and what the possible side effects are. But physicians know how things work in real world ie. how much better/ worse pt felt after starting/ discontinuing drug therapy. What specific side effects pt experienced and how it was managed etc. That’s because of continuity of care and ultimate pt responsibility. Pharmacists never deal with these things so our “real world” knowledge is limited.

Pharmacists have a theoretical knowledge of how drugs work and what the possible side effects are. But physicians know how things work in real world ie. how much better/ worse pt felt after starting/ discontinuing drug therapy. What specific side effects pt experienced and how it was managed etc. That’s because of continuity of care and ultimate pt responsibility. Pharmacists never deal with these things so our “real world” knowledge is limited.

I think this statement is honestly underestimating the amount of knowledge that pharmacists have coming out of medical school. Pharmacists know a lot more about a broader range of medications than the graduating physicians across the country.

My main issue with pharmacy was the fact that there is such a large amount of strenuous schooling and such a low number of jobs that utilize that schooling. I would think that most retail pharmacists (not to mention industry pharmacists or the variety of other non clinical pharmacy positions) do not need as much postgraduate education as they get to do their jobs. Retail companies (overall) care much more about productivity (prescriptions filled) than they care about pharmacists using their knowledge to properly counsel their patients on their medications. Hopefully this will change (or maybe has already changed) over time, but this was the unfortunate reality for most of my pharmacy colleagues. To spend so much time in school and obtain a doctorate degree just to be treated like a convenience store clerk was frankly unacceptable to me. (This is a gross exaggeration, but unfortunately I think it is mostly true)

Reactions: 6 users
I applaud OP for being smart, disciplined, and dedicated to go this path. But what a killer to the best years of your life.

Assuming college graduation at 21. +6 yrs pharm. + 4 yrs Med school. + 5 years residency assuming no research year. Attending at 36 Yrs and then likely work for a hospital system/large group as opening up your own practice is exceeding difficult right now. So say it takes 4+ years to get established.

You are looking at 40 yrs old and sacrificing the best years of your life.

I finished residency at 27 and made 400K my first year with still some regrets of missing out on some of my best years. 20 years in practice and slowing down significantly (6 dys/month) before 50. Body is alittle more sore, workouts is alittle more difficult, vision getting alittle more blurry.

I am not sure I would recommend doing such a long path. Do you have any regrets taking such a long path given that you obviously are a high achiever and could have done it straight from college.

Reactions: 4 users
I applaud OP for being smart, disciplined, and dedicated to go this path. But what a killer to the best years of your life.

Assuming college graduation at 21. +6 yrs pharm. + 4 yrs Med school. + 5 years residency assuming no research year. Attending at 36 Yrs and then likely work for a hospital system/large group as opening up your own practice is exceeding difficult right now. So say it takes 4+ years to get established.

You are looking at 40 yrs old and sacrificing the best years of your life.

I finished residency at 27 and made 400K my first year with still some regrets of missing out on some of my best years. 20 years in practice and slowing down significantly (6 dys/month) before 50. Body is alittle more sore, workouts is alittle more difficult, vision getting alittle more blurry.

I am not sure I would recommend doing such a long path. Do you have any regrets taking such a long path given that you obviously are a high achiever and could have done it straight from college.
Congratulations on your success. Did you do 3 years of residency?

While there is no making up for the lost time, for some, it may be worth it compared to doing something you despise, and hopefully, it does not take until 40 to establish yourself. However, despite the additional time, I do recognize:

You're going to get older anyway so you might as well do what you love.​

While I certainly didn't go to medical school, I did complete a post PharmD PhD. I did finish this in my 20s thankfully, but it was a huge cost in many areas of life. I don't regret it one iota, but with the benefit of hindsight I probably would have chosen a more streamlined path. The unfortunate truth is sometimes you don't know exactly what you want to do in your late teens and early twenties for the entirety of your working years. I personally would find it tragic to be doomed to a lifetime of a career I don't enjoy for decision that I made at 17 years old.

Last edited:
3 year residency, finishes college a year early. Anyone who tells you med school/residency was great and they would not trade it for anything is kidding themselves or making themselves feel better. While in residency, I do not know anyone who loved it after 80-120 hr weeks when there was no hour caps.

As I get older, the more I realize that time, health, and money are important. When you go through med school you are rolling the dice on health and time esp with the best years of your life. I am a healthy, fit person in my late 40's who still run half marathons but I will never get the best years of my life back pushing 80+ hour weeks. Going to med school and finishing in your later 20's/early 30's means that you are rolling the dice that you will still be healthy to enjoy life when you have $$$, Time, and healthy.

I would roll the dice again and go to med school and sacrifice most of my 20's but would not if it meant costing my early 30's too.

As you get older, you start to look at things in a different perspective.

Reactions: 6 users
A
3 year residency, finishes college a year early. Anyone who tells you med school/residency was great and they would not trade it for anything is kidding themselves or making themselves feel better. While in residency, I do not know anyone who loved it after 80-120 hr weeks when there was no hour caps.

As I get older, the more I realize that time, health, and money are important. When you go through med school you are rolling the dice on health and time esp with the best years of your life. I am a healthy, fit person in my late 40's who still run half marathons but I will never get the best years of my life back pushing 80+ hour weeks. Going to med school and finishing in your later 20's/early 30's means that you are rolling the dice that you will still be healthy to enjoy life when you have $$$, Time, and healthy.

I would roll the dice again and go to med school and sacrifice most of my 20's but would not if it meant costing my early 30's too.

Really good point. Totally agree. My former roommate unfortunately passed away soon after we graduated. It's definitely not promised. Again, much congratulations on your Uber success!

I lost my late 20s and early 30s to pharmacy. I don't completely regret it, but it does make me question every day how much longer I'm gonna stay at my job. I'll be 35 in a few months...still in pretty good shape, but I want to enjoy my life while I still can...

I would rather bust my butt in 20s if it means I would have a comfortable life later on. And best years of life are your undergrad years. It all becomes about career afterwards.

Time to figure this stuff out is early in life (career planning, family planning etc.). 30s is certainly suboptimal (if you buy into the neoliberalized American dream) especially with civilization doing this slow dissolution.

Women in medicine who wants kids are rolling the dice even more. Some will disagree but you can't avoid the facts.

If you are a woman going through residency, then you will finish in your late 20's/early 30's. Most spend 2-5 years working hard to build a practice. That puts most in their early to mid 30's.

Some will chose to have kids when they are in residency and if you are working 80 hrs a week, you really are missing out on alot of bonding times Many will justify it and say they can juggle a residency and raising kids but in reality you can't make up for missed bonding time.

Some will chose to have kids after becoming an attending thus pushing having kids back to their early./mid 30's

No matter how you cut it, going into medicine is a huge sacrifice and you can't make up for time lost.

Reactions: 4 users

Agreed. I'm in my 30s and I value time more than money now. Many of my peers are still working two Rph jobs, sacrificing their weekends. What's the point? They should be enjoying themselves with their family and kids.

Time to figure this stuff out is early in life (career planning, family planning etc.). 30s is certainly suboptimal (if you buy into the neoliberalized American dream) especially with civilization doing this slow dissolution.

I do not disagree, but as Mike Tyson once said, "everyone's got a plan til they get punched in the mouth"...

You also have to factor global warming. we only have a few more years where the weather is tolerable and the world isn't destroyed. Go to some national parks. Go see some glaciers. Go see the coral reef. Do you want to be studying while you can be enjoying civilizations' final few years?

I almost did the same thing. I took the PCAT in 1995 and planned on applying to UCSF, USC, WesternU and U of the Pacific Pharmacy Schools. I had a friend in undergrad who got into Dental School who told me I should take the MCAT and apply to Med School too. I took the MCAT at the beginning of 1996, applied to both PharmD and Med Schools. Got accepted at USC and U of Pacific Pharmacy schools and Western U DO school. (I withdrew my WesternU PharmD application) Racked up $120,000 worth of loans in 2002. Consolidated the loans at 3% the next year. 4 year Anesthesiology Residency.
I've been in a Private Practice Anesthesiology Group for 15 years now. I consider myself the Operating Room Pharmacist,,,,, Mix my own meds...Push my own meds. Do nerve blocks here and there... though Anatomy was my worst subject in Med School. Aced Pharmacology,,, HEHE
Congrats to the OP on matching into and almost finishing ENT. There are 1600 Anesthesiology residency spots per year vs 300 ENT, so its definitely easier to get into. (and the caliber of applicants is lower too)
I still wonder if I would have been just as happy being a PharmD? I"m loving my job now and it pays extremely well... +450k per year .... So no regrets

Last edited:
DO match to Anesthesiology Residency.? I was told DO can not match to any residency recent years…

Is DO a good choice now?