Technology Medical Note Templates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snanther

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I can only speak for Ottawa as that is the only place I have practiced medicine but here, almost everyone uses templates for admission notes to save time and to increase the readability and uniformity of note-taking. I had to get my templates from physicians in the hospital who had them saved in their email. There doesn't appear to be a template sharing mechanism so that the field experts can pass them along to new trainees.

I was wondering if this practice is widespread?

I got tired of having to get them from my email and only having access to templates I was directly given so I created a template sharing website - medtemplates.com

Figured I'd post it in the hopes that it may help some of you. The website is also very new and I would love any advice you guys have to offer. Or you can send some templates for upload!

Thanks for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

Certainly is widespread. Very interesting idea and commend the initiative on seeing an inefficiency and putting something together for it. Would be interesting as a Wiki style cite with some editorial screening.

I have considered the Wikipedia approach but the approach works for Wikipedia because it is made up of factual articles where only one amalgamated version is needed per topic but with templates, multiple variant versions are more ideal. I envision multiple people submitting their approach to templates so that you don't just have people disputing a single approach. This way you have the ability to contain multiple perspectives that people can download, modify to their liking and re-upload to create another variant.

As it stands, all you need to do to upload your template is email it to [email protected]. Upon receiving the template, I will name/format it properly before placing it on the site. The end-goal is an automatic upload system but at the start I want to moderate what goes online.