Medical field with a Chemical Engineering Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schoolgirl99

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently a sophomore in chemical engineering and it has ruptured my GPA. Nonetheless, I am not sure if I should obtain a chemical engineering internship or a medical research internship. After freshmen year, I had a research internship at a well-known hospital. I am just not sure if I should look well-rounded by having a chemical engineering internship, or to just stick with what I wish to be in the future and obtain another research internship at another hospital?

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to go to Med school why are you doing ChemE? Your GPA will suffer and you’ll never work as an engineer anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
If you want to go to Med school why are you doing ChemE? Your GPA will suffer and you’ll never work as an engineer anyway.
I took the path of chemical engineering as a backup incase medical school did not work out. Mindless of the fact that it could be the reason why I may not get into medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on how bad the GPA and how determined you are to go to medical school? If the GPA is low, but still somewhat competitive (or you're so determined to do medicine, so as to do a post bacc to fix said GPA) then do the medical internship. If not, do the engineering internship, so that you can utilize your major.

Depends on how bad the GPA and how determined you are to go to medical school? If the GPA is low, but still somewhat competitive (or you're so determined to do medicine, so as to do a post bacc to fix said GPA) then do the medical internship. If not, do the engineering internship, so that you can utilize your major.
My GPA is at a 3.36 right now, and I do not think that is competitive right?

Big oil normally requires one good internship and a 3.2 gpa. Working the job would let you know if it is something you are willing to do for a living or not as well. It may make your decision on whether or not to do a post bac or apply to other professional schools just to get out of it. A lot of engineers will see an upward trend in their grades if they are grasping the concepts.

My GPA is at a 3.36 right now, and I do not think that is competitive right?

Mine’s 3.4...MCAT score is going to be the deciding factor. Just kill it and either switch majors or find a way to get to 3.4-3.5/as high as possible.

FWIW I know it sucks; my friend is the hardest working person I have ever met in undergrad and she could only manage 3.3 in ChemE. She was recruited right out of school by Sabic after the Edison fellowship at GE.

Long story short, I dont envy you guys one bit.

Big oil normally requires one good internship and a 3.2 gpa. Working the job would let you know if it is something you are willing to do for a living or not as well. It may make your decision on whether or not to do a post bac or apply to other professional schools just to get out of it. A lot of engineers will see an upward trend in their grades if they are grasping the concepts.
I was deciding if I should take a year off to work at an engineering company then apply to medical school as well. I guess my decision comes down to my GPA...

Mine’s 3.4...MCAT score is going to be the deciding factor. Just kill it and either switch majors or find a way to get to 3.4-3.5/as high as possible.

FWIW I know it sucks; my friend is the hardest working person I have ever met in undergrad and she could only manage 3.3 in ChemE. She was recruited right out of school by Sabic after the Edison fellowship at GE.

Long story short, I dont envy you guys one bit.
Yeah, I think MCAT score will be the most important factor..

One of my co-workers is currently doing a post bac with online lessons and in person labs on the weekend for dental school. The school is about an hour commute from work.