Med Schools in UK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pawster

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Does anyone know the following:
a) how difficult is it to be accepted

b) do most people stay in UK for residency or is it possible to be accpeted back in the states?

c) do hospitals/drs in the states snub their noses at degrees earned outside of US? (tho i am an EU citizen too...)

any info greatly appreciated!!
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by pawster
Hi,
Does anyone know the following:
a) how difficult is it to be accepted

b) do most people stay in UK for residency or is it possible to be accpeted back in the states?

c) do hospitals/drs in the states snub their noses at degrees earned outside of US? (tho i am an EU citizen too...)

any info greatly appreciated!!
thanks

a) Depends on whether you are applying as an person out of highschool or a person with a previous degree. Also keep in mind there are more than just "UK" schools, there are schools in the UK like St. Chris that are chartered elsewhere (Sengal) but operate in the UK (these might be a little bit easier to get into than a true "UK" school)

b) You can go to the US from anywhere as long as you write your USMLE...however if you attend a true "UK" school you are also able to be registered with the NHS...and I believe you may be able to obtain post grad training....

c) I think most ppl. are understanding..that being said there may be one or two you meet you will "snub" you.

a) As difficult as it is to get into American schools, for either the 5 year (straight from high school courses) or the 4 year courses.

b) I've no idea about going back to work in the states, but if you trained in a UK (as in UK university, ie not St Chris etc) then You're pretty much guaranteed a training rotation in the UK - you certainly shouldn't have any more difficulty getting them (esp if you're already an EU citizen).

c) Don't know, but I don't turn my nose up at US trained doctors... ;) Although sometimes I wonder at the over reliance on expensive medical tests :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
The favourite topic of conversation in lectures are the 'wasteful, over-investigating Americans' We call it 'defensive medicine' as in 'I don't want my ass to get sued!'

We call it defensive medicine as well!! Some things are the same the world over :laugh: