Med/Peds, Peds, and Specializing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IrishCalini

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all-

A little background to this question: I am particularly drawn to Med-Peds because I like the idea of continuity care (I.e. starting with a Peds patient and following them through to adulthood). That being said, I've always wanted to specialize (primary care practice just seems too overwhelming to me). The fellowships/specialties I'm particularly drawn to are: Heme/Onc, Rheumatology, Medical Genetics, and Critical Care. That being said:

-is it possible to do just a Peds or just a Med fellowship in one of these specialties and be qualified to do what I want to (continuity care)?

Or

-do I have to do a combined fellowship?

Or

-would I just be better off cutting my losses and doing a Peds residency and corresponding Peds fellowship?

Thanks for any feedback! It would be greatly appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all-

A little background to this question: I am particularly drawn to Med-Peds because I like the idea of continuity care (I.e. starting with a Peds patient and following them through to adulthood). That being said, I've always wanted to specialize (primary care practice just seems too overwhelming to me). The fellowships/specialties I'm particularly drawn to are: Heme/Onc, Rheumatology, Medical Genetics, and Critical Care. That being said:

-is it possible to do just a Peds or just a Med fellowship in one of these specialties and be qualified to do what I want to (continuity care)?

Yes. You can do fellowships in peds, in medicine, or both (either combined or each individually). Your practice style/management and patient population will be based on how you want to practice after you are finally done with all your training (esp if you want to focus on transition care). You can still work in a continuity clinic if you want (since you will still be primary boarded in medicine, pediatrics, or both)

-do I have to do a combined fellowship?

Nope. See above.

-would I just be better off cutting my losses and doing a Peds residency and corresponding Peds fellowship?

Depends on your goals (which may change). Doing a combined residency and combined fellowship takes a lot of commitment (and when you are done training, lots of boards to study for) .... but if you want to be multi-boarded in adults and kids (and subspecialties), it may be worth it. There's too many possibilities/permutations of options to go through them all but you have lots of options