md/mba from low tier school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always been interested in business side of things and can't picture myself as "just" working in patient care. I want to one day open a clinic(start with a private practice and expand from there)...maybe even work as a medical director in a health care or pharma setting.

My medical school just started offering a MBA program for current medical students. You basically apply as a third year med student, take some b-school classes your fourth year along with rotations, and finish your mba the fifth year. This schedule is great, but the mba is from our local state college b-school and is just barely ranked in the top 300. It's a very inexpensive degree($10,000-$15,000), but still it takes an extra year.

So my question is, would it be worth the extra time an effort to get the mba now, from such a low ranked school? The other option would be do a part time mba after residency.

From the financial pov, the opportunity cost would be higher if I get it now, since I would essentially be losing a year of income as a physician, vs getting a part time degree.

But if I get it now, could I hit the ground running right after residency? For example, could I get a management level job at a hospital or would they be looking for more experienced candidates?

Members don't see this ad.

I want to one day open a clinic(start with a private practice and expand from there)...maybe even work as a medical director in a health care or pharma setting.

But if I get it now, could I hit the ground running right after residency? For example, could I get a management level job at a hospital or would they be looking for more experienced candidates?

MBA won't be of much use for opening a clinic or being a medical director. As far as hospital management, if you are able to get some type of management job right after residency, the salary would likely be under 80k.

My school offers a 4-year MD/MPH. It will give you the same administrative opportunities as a MD/MBA would, unless you want to do VC or something along those lines. See if your school offers this. Mine is free, so it was a no-brainer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think an MBA from a low tier school is useless. Unless you have other career goals, I'd consider the MPH. I think only MBAs from top-10 business schools have value since they give you access to successful alumni, many of which would be glad to assist a fellow alum in getting to where you need to be. Lower-tier business schools only offer courses and in my opinion, business school classes have low value.

I think an MBA from a low tier school is useless. Unless you have other career goals, I'd consider the MPH. I think only MBAs from top-10 business schools have value since they give you access to successful alumni, many of which would be glad to assist a fellow alum in getting to where you need to be. Lower-tier business schools only offer courses and in my opinion, business school classes have low value.
What do you think about Tufts MD/MBA? I am currently considering doing it, but it is so pricey even without the MBA portion. If I want an MBA, how should I get into a top tier B school? I did not realize that it mattered so much which school you get the MBA from if it were a joint program, but I could be very well mislead.

I am looking forward to hopefully enroll in a medical school and then apply to MBA in another school during my first year of college. I am applying straight from college with strong extracurricular, theme, GPA, but not MCAT. I was wondering if you could have your perspective on the application process to top MBA programs from a mediocre medical school and anything I should be preparing for or expecting. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

I am looking forward to hopefully enroll in a medical school and then apply to MBA in another school during my first year of college. I am applying straight from college with strong extracurricular, theme, GPA, but not MCAT. I was wondering if you could have your perspective on the application process to top MBA programs from a mediocre medical school and anything I should be preparing for or expecting. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
I only applied to one MBA program which was at the same school as my medical school. I rocked the GMATs, so getting into the MBA program was no issue for me.

A good GMAT score can help, also there is no use in doing MBA from a low tier school as you will only be wasting money it is better that you wait and prepare.

If you want the cash, power, and business card, ask this question to the headhunters.

If you want the cash, power, and business card, you will need to part ways with 6% of your salary to the head hunter.

Find a head hunter.

Best luck to you.