USMLE MD in Microbiology from India, still need USMLE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kavs Microbio

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for reading and replying on this in advance. I tried to search forum and I know USMLE is necessary for mainly all fields to work/practice in USA, but want to confirm it its needed for Microbiologist's too?

I have done MBBS and MD in Microbiology and would like to know other career options without USMLE if its necessary?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious as to what your friends in India tell you.

The answer is no. No, you do not need a USMLE to work as a microbiologist.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks again for your response :) General perception in India is that every Doctor who wants to work in USA needs to give USMLE.

So, if USMLE is not needed, is there any other exam or requirements which needs to be met?

Thanks again for your response :) General perception in India is that every Doctor who wants to work in USA needs to give USMLE.

So, if USMLE is not needed, is there any other exam or requirements which needs to be met?

It depends what you want to do. If you want to work as a physician and see patients, you will need to take the USMLE and do a residency. If you want to do only research, then you only need to find a job that will sponsor a visa.

Members don't see this ad :)
My current job in India is like working in hospital lab, overseeing patients lab tests and reports. So not a research job. I would like to find a similar job profile in USA, if same system is there. So, basically I am not seeing patients but working on their tests. So, in similar profile in USA do I need to give USMLE?

My current job in India is like working in hospital lab, overseeing patients lab tests and reports. So not a research job. I would like to find a similar job profile in USA, if same system is there. So, basically I am not seeing patients but working on their tests. So, in similar profile in USA do I need to give USMLE?

Great information.

Check out the "ASCP Board of Certification "

Best of luck.

Question: How would an American educated MD be able to practice medicine in India?

you surely need usmle, followed by path residency followed by micrbiology fellowship to do in the USA what you are doing in India. You can do a Phd, followed by clinical micrbiology fellowship to do the same if you do usmel.