MD Application Process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

awkotaco

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone give me some advice on the MD application process?
I am planning to apply for the 2018 cycle.
I haven't taken my MCATs yet and wanted to know when was the latest time I could take them to submit my application in the beginning of the cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on your stats, since you could get away with a later application if you have a phenomenal GPA and MCAT. Since you wont know what your MCAT is until you take it, I wouldn't push it past a July test date (with score in August) of the year you want to apply. June or May would be recommended but if you don't think you can set aside the time to study and be well prepared for it by then don't rush it. Last thing you want to do is have to retake.

It really depends on your stats, since you could get away with a later application if you have a phenomenal GPA and MCAT. Since you wont know what your MCAT is until you take it, I wouldn't push it past a July test date (with score in August) of the year you want to apply. June or May would be recommended but if you don't think you can set aside the time to study and be well prepared for it by then don't rush it. Last thing you want to do is have to retake.
Thank you! So I want to have my application in early, basically when it opens. So do you think taking it July would be okay?

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as your AMCAS is in as early as possible (and verified before your MCAT results are out) a July test date is okay in my opinion (and experience). Many schools send out secondaries automatically so if you have those ready once your score is in you'll have your whole application ready at a reasonably early point in the cycle.

As long as your AMCAS is in as early as possible (and verified before your MCAT results are out) a July test date is okay in my opinion (and experience). Many schools send out secondaries automatically so if you have those ready once your score is in you'll have your whole application ready at a reasonably early point in the cycle.
Thank you!

I did exactly that this cycle. I was hospitalized for awhile and had to delay my MCAT until July with scores on August 14th. I had completed all but 1 of my secondaries (they pre-screened) and was complete at all schools within days of my scores being released on the 14th. This isn't as ideal as being complete in July, but it still worked well for me. I have 1 acceptance and just got my fourth II. Took me a little longer to hear back from schools than some people completed earlier, but it didn't seem to negatively impact me. Any later than July would definitely have a significantly negative impact. It's solid advice.

Reactions: 1 user
Read this book:
Med School Rx: Getting In, Getting Through, and Getting On with Doctoring
by Walter Hartwig
ISBN-13: 978-1607140627
ISBN-10: 1607140624

Can someone give me some advice on the MD application process?
I am planning to apply for the 2018 cycle.
I haven't taken my MCATs yet and wanted to know when was the latest time I could take them to submit my application in the beginning of the cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
Though they are correct about July being possible and still being early with schools the biggest issue you'll have is choosing where to apply early without an MCAT score. It's pretty difficult to choose which schools you are in range for without knowing that crucial piece of the puzzle. I've had friends that did this and tanked the MCAT. That made them a reapplicant because their school list was based on their 4.0 GPA not their MCAT.

IMO if you want to really be early you'd test in May and know your scores to submit wisely in June. It can obviously workout with a later test date but it involves more risk as well.

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Though they are correct about July being possible and still being early with schools the biggest issue you'll have is choosing where to apply early without an MCAT score. It's pretty difficult to choose which schools you are in range for without knowing that crucial piece of the puzzle. I've had friends that did this and tanked the MCAT. That made them a reapplicant because their school list was based on their 4.0 GPA not their MCAT.

IMO if you want to really be early you'd test in May and know your scores to submit wisely in June. It can obviously workout with a later test date but it involves more risk as well.

Good luck!

Oh yeah, left that out. I just used my most recent practice test as an idea. I think I was at about a 508 when I applied, ended up with a 514 on the real thing 4 weeks later. I just assumed I'd score in the 508-512 range and made my list based on that. It worked out well regarding my school list.

Good luck!
That's why you only add 1 school (typically your state school) just to get verified, then add on other ones once your score is in.

That's why you only add 1 school (typically your state school) just to get verified, then add on other ones once your score is in.

Right. I know that's definitely a strategy. But then aren't all your other apps that you hadn't sent in early going to be behind everyone else who did submit in June? Then you are only really immediately complete upon receiving the MCAT score at that one school and a bit behind on the others? Plus you won't get to send in those secondaries as early like you mentioned if you haven't submitted to schools yet which is a bigger deal with schools that screen like CA probably than most places. Not that you can't prewrite...But still there is often some lag time that could set you back.

Not sure just wondering...That was my understanding. Also since op emphasized wanting to be early I thought that a May test would be the best way to be early with all schools.

Oh yeah, left that out. I just used my most recent practice test as an idea. I think I was at about a 508 when I applied, ended up with a 514 on the real thing 4 weeks later. I just assumed I'd score in the 508-512 range and made my list based on that. It worked out well regarding my school list.

Nice. That's a really good idea. Great job on the MCAT!!

Right. I know that's definitely a strategy. But then aren't all your other apps that you hadn't sent in early going to be behind everyone else who did submit in June? Then you are only really immediately complete upon receiving the MCAT score at that one school and a bit behind on the others? Plus you won't get to send in those secondaries as early like you mentioned if you haven't submitted to schools yet which is a bigger deal with schools that screen like CA probably than most places. Not that you can't prewrite...But still there is often some lag time that could set you back.

Not sure just wondering...That was my understanding. Also since op emphasized wanting to be early I thought that a May test would be the best way to be early with all schools.
The bottleneck is in the verification. Most schools send out secondaries automatically within a day or so of adding it on AMCAS. There's only a handful that actually pre-screen and even then an overall competitve app would do well.

Edit: @gonnif 's summer cascade is definitely something to be cautious of. May or June MCAT is always preferred, and I'd say critical if you have weak points in your app be they GPA, practice MCAT scores or ECs that warrant as early an app as possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user