MCPHS-worcester interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yongli

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be starting in the fall, there is another post for Worcester that people have shared and discussed their experiences of their interview day. I can't find it at the moment but if you search through the pharmacy forum for MCPHS I'm sure you'll find it! Where are you from? How are your stats? Did you apply anywhere else? Good luck, you'll do fine! Make sure you have questions for your interviewer, I think pharmacy times has an article regarding what questions to ask during your interview and be ready to explain clearly how you chose pharmacy, why MCPHS, and anything from your app that you think they would want you to elaborate on!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

@escanoke
Hi, i have also been accepted for mcphs for this upcoming fall 2016. Are you really considering this school? I am having 2nd thoughts about this school. I have been hearing various comments about this school such as they dont teach clinical.
Could you explain why you chose this school. I know its 3 years program but still. What other things you looked into for this program?
I have also been accepted in a 4 years school in Indiana.

@yongli
To be honest with you. Just be yourself. There will be a 30 minute writing essay. There will 8 question and you have to pick 1. They will ask you these two main question such why mcphs and why pharmacy? If you have any pharmacy experience form working at retail or private stores try to relate to it.I was only asked two question in the interview. The rest of the time between me and the professor who was interview talked about stuff related to retail stores and how we can help the community on what to do better.I was kind of surprised when she only asked me two question. Best of Luck. Just be urself.

Reactions: 1 user
@escanoke
Hi, i have also been accepted for mcphs for this upcoming fall 2016. Are you really considering this school? I am having 2nd thoughts about this school. I have been hearing various comments about this school such as they dont teach clinical.
Could you explain why you chose this school. I know its 3 years program but still. What other things you looked into for this program?
I have also been accepted in a 4 years school in Indiana.

I've heard the horror stories as well, but I chose this school because I'm 26 already and would like to finish up as soon as possible. I've worked in-patient for 5 years now and feel my network of pharmacists both young and old is to the point I can call a plethora of people in 3 years time who would be able to help me find opportunities. It's close to home and my network of professionals is in Massachusetts. I have friends who have gone through the program and know of people who are in right now and have assured me it's not as bad as people have made it out to be. It's rigorous and demanding but it's not rigged to fail students.

I don't understand the negative arguments of a 3 year program. Sure you don't have time to research/intern during the summer and yes that could be detrimental but this program, IMO is geared towards students similar to me in terms of exposure/experience to the pharmacy world, as well as where I am in life right now. You're taking the same amount of classes per semester as traditional programs and I feel that not having breaks in between semesters is more of an advantage because you don't have 3 months of break to forget the things you learned in the spring semester.

I would say to you is really look into what you want from your program. MCPHS is the second oldest pharmacy school but is in a saturated area. The Worcester campus uses the Boston campus relationships with the hospitals and pharmacies in the areas. If you're from out of state and want to stay in the MA area it might be hard for you or just less opportunistic to stay. I'm not sure about the not teaching you clinical at MCPHS. I thought people would argue that all Pharm schools focus on clinical even though 60-70% of jobs are retail and that programs ram into students minds that their future jobs will be very clinical.

I'm not sure I can help you gain a clearer picture of the program. But hope what I've said helps you in some way. If you're a little older and a non-trad I think MCPHS would be great but if you're 22/23 with little to know pharmacy experience who wants Summer's off to try and work, maybe the Indiana program might suite you much better

Reactions: 1 users

Last edited:
I've heard the horror stories as well, but I chose this school because I'm 26 already and would like to finish up as soon as possible. I've worked in-patient for 5 years now and feel my network of pharmacists both young and old is to the point I can call a plethora of people in 3 years time who would be able to help me find opportunities. It's close to home and my network of professionals is in Massachusetts. I have friends who have gone through the program and know of people who are in right now and have assured me it's not as bad as people have made it out to be. It's rigorous and demanding but it's not rigged to fail students.

I don't understand the negative arguments of a 3 year program. Sure you don't have time to research/intern during the summer and yes that could be detrimental but this program, IMO is geared towards students similar to me in terms of exposure/experience to the pharmacy world, as well as where I am in life right now. You're taking the same amount of classes per semester as traditional programs and I feel that not having breaks in between semesters is more of an advantage because you don't have 3 months of break to forget the things you learned in the spring semester.

I would say to you is really look into what you want from your program. MCPHS is the second oldest pharmacy school but is in a saturated area. The Worcester campus uses the Boston campus relationships with the hospitals and pharmacies in the areas. If you're from out of state and want to stay in the MA area it might be hard for you or just less opportunistic to stay. I'm not sure about the not teaching you clinical at MCPHS. I thought people would argue that all Pharm schools focus on clinical even though 60-70% of jobs are retail and that programs ram into students minds that their future jobs will be very clinical.

I'm not sure I can help you gain a clearer picture of the program. But hope what I've said helps you in some way. If you're a little older and a non-trad I think MCPHS would be great but if you're 22/23 with little to know pharmacy experience who wants Summer's off to try and work, maybe the Indiana program might suite you much better

Hey thanks for the advice.
I am 23 with 5 years of pharmacy tech experience at CVS. As you mentioned that you are 26 and this is the right program for you. On my behalf, I really want to get done with program. I was just concern about the negative comments can put me into the wrong program. But as you have backed it up with good reason. I will deeply look into this. I have already accepted my admission at MCPHS, but these are my 2nd thoughts coming around. No doubt it is going to be hard for me to adjust into MA. I am going to be getting an apt and working 5-10 hours at nearst CVS.

I know it's individual interview. But is there group activities as well? Do you get to meet other candidates as well?

No not really.
As soon as you go you will be taking a 30 min writing prompt. As soon as you done w/ that you will be then go for a one-on-one interview. And he/she will tour you around the campus. I was like to meet up w/ P1 student at a nearest cafe for breakfast. I actually drove out from NJ early morning. I asked him alot of question about program. After you get accepted they send you invitation for an event where all the pharmacy student meet up.

No not really.
As soon as you go you will be taking a 30 min writing prompt. As soon as you done w/ that you will be then go for a one-on-one interview. And he/she will tour you around the campus. I was like to meet up w/ P1 student at a nearest cafe for breakfast. I actually drove out from NJ early morning. I asked him alot of question about program. After you get accepted they send you invitation for an event where all the pharmacy student meet up.

I'll be planning on finding a job out there too. Have you found your apartment yet? Or at least seen options? I was thinking of getting an apartment too but ended up choosing to go with campus housing for the first year and move to an apt P2

I'll be planning on finding a job out there too. Have you found your apartment yet? Or at least seen options? I was thinking of getting an apartment too but ended up choosing to go with campus housing for the first year and move to an apt P2

Hey to be honest i have so many things going around. I am planning to get an apartment. A P1 student told me that its not worth it. The dorming is weird and small. The food aint good and all. There is just a microwave, no stove, and you got have your own internet. Plus he said the dorming wasted 1/2 his money. So just by hearing all that i am thinking of getting an apartment. He told there is a walking distance which roughly costed him $1000 (including heat/electricity and his internet bill). I know a pharmacist who graduated in 2010 is also going to tell me a nearby apt but she said its 20-25 minute away from campus and cheaper than around campus.
On the other hand, thers is a nearby cvs i saw it on google map like walking distance. I am just going to request if i can do small shift.