MBBS from Malaysia private med school for practicing in Singapore?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LifeChanging

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear forumers, I have a tough decision to make, please help me.
Let's start with my main question:

My question is: Are graduates from private medical schools in Malaysia (such as Monash University Malaysia, IMU, etc) allowed to practice medicine in Singapore?

I am an engineer in my early 30's. I have a 1st class Hons Electrical Engineering degree from University of Malaya, and a Master of Engineering degree from Nanyang Technological University (NTU, Singapore). I am a Malaysia citizen, and a Singapore PR.

I experienced a life-changing event recently. I am now strongly inspired to become a doctor. I know it's a little late for the motivation to surface now, but I don't want to have regrets in life. I am prepared to let go of my engineering career and start afresh.

The thing is, it is highly unlikely for me to be accepted into a public university in Malaysia because I already got my 1st degree from a public university, and at my age it is not worthwhile for the government to invest that kind of effort to train me.

So I'm left with the option of going to a private medical college in Malaysia (studying in other countries is out of the question, budget constraints). But the Singapore Medical Council recognizes only UM and UKM MBBS graduates. And I really want to practice in Singapore because my whole family loves it here.

Is there a way for graduates of Malaysian medical schools other than UM & UKM to become a doctor in Singapore? Please advise. And I'd appreciate a little more elaboration as I'm not familiar in this field of study. Thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

I have a couple friends from IMU with me now at the University of Queensland and they are applying back to Singapore. Singapore recognises all of IMU's partner medical schools besides the north american ones.

So yes.

Singapore are looking for doctors. When I was back at IMU they were always sending over their recruiters and explaining the benefits of working with SingHealth :cool:

I have a couple friends from IMU with me now at the University of Queensland and they are applying back to Singapore. Singapore recognises all of IMU's partner medical schools besides the north american ones.

So yes.

Singapore are looking for doctors. When I was back at IMU they were always sending over their recruiters and explaining the benefits of working with SingHealth :cool:

He has a budget constraint la...UQ charges 50K AUD /year..

and not entirely correct. For graduates and if u do go IMU, u can ( and probably will) sign up for the partner school system. Of which UQ, ANU is recognized in singapore but Warwick ( UK) is NOT.

Whether Monash Malaysia is accepted or not is interesting...pls find out and post here? Someone told me that the degree from Monash Malaysia and Auzzie looked exactly the same...but hell, an interview and anyone will know.

Actually, Singapore recognized either a BASIC degree or a postgraduate degree. you can do any basic degree from anywhere and break into the American system by doing USMLE and some rotations there..With a board cert ( ie a postgraduate degree), you can work here...Easiest way if u are budget constraint...but it means some time away from here...

Members don't see this ad :)
Can the OP take out loans from the Singapore Government/banks? I am taking US federal bank loans to help subsidize my tuition in Australia (I'm a US green card holder).

UQ allows you to do rotations in the States with their Ochsner program -- they even have an option to do your first 2 years at UQ, and all your clinicals in New Orleans (http://www.mededpath.org/), but then again that is an expensive option.

Warwick wasn't on the PMS list when I was there.

The OP needs to realize that it is competitive to get into the US especially if he wants to match into lifestyle specialties like Anaes, or Derm or popular specialities like plastics, ortho, I would suggest he look somewhere else.

Last edited:
Can the OP take out loans from the Singapore Government/banks? I am taking US federal bank loans to help subsidize my tuition in Australia (I'm a US green card holder).

UQ allows you to do rotations in the States with their Ochsner program -- they even have an option to do your first 2 years at UQ, and all your clinicals in New Orleans (http://www.mededpath.org/), but then again that is an expensive option.

Warwick wasn't on the PMS list when I was there.

The OP needs to realize that it is competitive to get into the US especially if he wants to match into lifestyle specialties like Anaes, or Derm or popular specialities like plastics, ortho, I would suggest he look somewhere else.
erm..why will the Singapore government go subsidise a MALAYSIAN citizen even though he's probably a PR? And hw much can u borrow from banks? We dun have stanford loans here...and his HDB house can't be used as collateral.
UQ ochsner program is open only to US citizens.
Whose talking about lifestyle residencies? He just want to be a doc, internal med, general surgery, pediatrics, neurology are easily matchable. And in all seriousness, he has a first class from university of malaya. It's not easy for a chinese to get into that uni in the first place...much less secure a first.

erm..why will the Singapore government go subsidise a MALAYSIAN citizen even though he's probably a PR? And hw much can u borrow from banks? We dun have stanford loans here...and his HDB house can't be used as collateral.

I am not a US citizen and I was still able to obtain federal loans from a US banks. It was my assumption that the banks in your own country would subsidize a PERMANENT RESIDENT, as most banks around the world do.

Whose talking about lifestyle residencies? He just want to be a doc, internal med, general surgery, pediatrics, neurology are easily matchable.

Lol! Its great that you're able to read the OP mind to determine what exactly he will match in. To tell you the truth, you have no clue, and from my experience, most medical students switch around their specialty choice SEVERAL times before they graduate.

It's not easy for a chinese...

You must have some mystical magical powers I don't know about -- how do you know the ethnic background of the OP through a forum? I must learn...please share. :luck:

I am not a US citizen and I was still able to obtain federal loans from a US banks. It was my assumption that the banks in your own country would subsidize a PERMANENT RESIDENT, as most banks around the world do.

Lol! Its great that you're able to read the OP mind to determine what exactly he will match in. To tell you the truth, you have no clue, and from my experience, most medical students switch around their specialty choice SEVERAL times before they graduate.

You must have some mystical magical powers I don't know about -- how do you know the ethnic background of the OP through a forum? I must learn...please share. :luck:

oh my, picking a fight.

1. read carefully. there is a difference when i say government lending money or bank lending money. There is simply no bank loan here that specifically fund medical school like the US. There is only a general bank loan for studies from 1 bank (RHB) that allows for overseas studies and loan amt is capped to 100K or annual salary of guarantor, which ever is lower.

2. I didn't intend to read his mind. But neither should u assume he wants to pick competitive residencies. I am just pointing out statistics as opposed to a picture of negativity painted by you.

3. The last point simply show how inadequate you are culturally and a very megare attempt to win some points in an other wise futile argument. The very simple fact that he has good result, he has Singapore PR and is a Malaysian citizen means he is a Chinese. No malays with that qualification will want to come to Singapore and compete while he can flourish in a much easier environment. He's an engineer. He even thinks about wanting to practise in Singapore. His family like it here. Doesn't tat tell u something about his ethnicity? He could be a Belgium born american who migrated to Malaysia and now obtained PR in Singapore for all we know..but that probability is about as low as the inverse that he is not Chinese.

Seriously, i expect a future doctor to be more sensible and coherent and maybe exhbit a bit of thinking before spouting off the pout and perhaps not engage in some rather useless bickering( i do think it is, but i can't help pointing out the loopholes in ur VERY weak arguments, bad habit. )

if u have truly nothing to say, dun say anything. Offering advice more suitable for US green card holder when TS is clearly a Malaysian doesn't help. Talking about UQ oschner program that TS cannot apply for doesn't help. Crapping about how banks are supposed to subsidize even PR for medical school when the banks in Singapore ( or Malaysia for that matter) doesn't do so, doesn't help. Pointing out how tough it is to get into lifestyle choices ( seriously what do u know when u spend 2 yrs in KL and some time in brisbane about "lifestyle choices" in US, other than wat u read here ) doesn't help as much as pointing out that there are some residency that are IMG friendly.

Sigh. this thread is getting out of hand. Let's not argue anymore. You are not my match and this isn't helping the TS.

oh my, picking a fight.

1. read carefully. there is a difference when i say government lending money or bank lending money. There is simply no bank loan here that specifically fund medical school like the US. There is only a general bank loan for studies from 1 bank (RHB) that allows for overseas studies and loan amt is capped to 100K or annual salary of guarantor, which ever is lower.

Lol, Its kind of difficult when I can barely understand your previous posts. I've taken about 40K USD loans to attend UQ and that is for the clinical years. I can't give proper advice without getting the full picture of the OP budget constraints (can he afford going to a medical school in Malaysia for the first 2 years, and a partner medical school in the next 2 years?) but from what you're telling me, 100K should be enough to at least fund the OP's education for 2 years in Australia.

2. I didn't intend to read his mind. But neither should u assume he wants to pick competitive residencies. I am just pointing out statistics as opposed to a picture of negativity painted by you.

Read my post again. I said IF he wants to match into a lifestyle specialty he should look somewhere else. Not a picture of negativity, but a picture of being REALISTIC. You're going to be practicing for the next 20-30 years of your life so why match into a specialty you're not going to be happy in?

3. The very simple fact that he has good result, he has Singapore PR and is a Malaysian citizen means he is a Chinese. No malays with that qualification will want to come to Singapore and compete while he can flourish in a much easier environment. He's an engineer. He even thinks about wanting to practise in Singapore. His family like it here. Doesn't tat tell u something about his ethnicity? He could be a Belgium born american who migrated to Malaysia and now obtained PR in Singapore for all we know..but that probability is about as low as the inverse that he is not Chinese.

You sound like a person that stereotypes individuals and makes sweeping generalisations. :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:. Since you're so good with numbers, can you tell me the probability of an African-American becoming the President of the United States? :laugh:

Seriously, i expect a future doctor to be more sensible and coherent and maybe exhbit a bit of thinking before spouting off the pout and perhaps not engage in some rather useless bickering

Who is the one bickering here? I'm having a grand old time over here :)

I hope that our future doctors will be able to type and spell in proper English :laugh: For your sake, if you want to become a physician at least learn basic spelling and grammar. I've had a hard time following your previous posts.

Of which UQ, ANU is recognized in singapore but Warwick ( UK) is NOT.
And hw much can u borrow from banks? We dun have stanford loans here

:rolleyes:

Sigh. this thread is getting out of hand. Let's not argue anymore. You are not my match and this isn't helping the TS.

You're right, lets stop. Your last statement paints you as quite a pompous ignoramus, and several people might agree with me according to this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=9973591#post9973591 You're quite a hypocrite considering you've suggested "if u have truly nothing to say, dun say anything". :smack:

Congratulations, you've made it into my ignore list. :clap::clap: I've looked through your previous posts, you've got some growing up to do chap. Stick with your engineering job where you're pulling in the green, because in this profession we definitely don't need characters like you.

Last edited:
What i have said is all good information while u offered no defense to my last paragrah about useless information you offered. It's clear that i have some stuff that needs saying.

I never said that 100K is enough for med school in Auzzie. That is the MAX amt that RHB, THE ONLY BANK IN SINGAPORE that offers overseas study loan will lend out. Pls do not put words into my mouth. Besides, the TS wasn't asking for financial advice in the first place.

My grammar definitely sucks. That i agree. Maybe that explains why u seem to (deliberately) mis-read a lot of my words. Or are you SO desperately looking for mistakes in what i have written that u mis-read it?

With reference to that thread, I might sound pompous, but that is serious advise to a guy or girl who clearly got his priorities wrong. I dun have to pretend to be nice and tell him/her flowery and nice things. You got an issue ? Too bad.

Firstly, stereotyping people has nothing to do with the ability to forecast the next president of American. Secondly, I didn't stereotype the TS. I merely showed my deduction about this ethnicity. Besides, stereotyping someone isn't wrong.

And this talking about me growing up? Maybe i will never grow up. But at least i show some discretion in thinking, i read and think carefully about people and their intent. If you are are a grow-up, then seriously, i dun want to grow up. If i am wrong, i admit it and do not desperate try to win some points by taking other people words out of context or claiming that people's writing sucks.

seriously, what's worse? A non-grown up doctor who is discerning, able to think independently, can make decent deductions and offer the correct advice or a grown up, all self righteous doctor who mis-read people's intention and who offer advice that is not needed and inadequate?

In all seriousness, if u have to go to IMU despite needing to secure only 40K in loan , your academic caliber well, is clear. ( it's not money u lack). I've meet my fair share of gradates that took the same route as you. I will not describe them as brilliant, but to take this route signify an intense desire to do medicine, to make a difference in the lives of others and they all have outstanding demeanor and maturity befitting of a doctor, one that you trust, one that you know will do his/her best to help you. I don't see that in you in from the vindictive and hurtful way you write, the many desperate attempts to win an argument with points construed from words picked out selectively from a paragraph and a really obtuse way of thinking that resort to faulting others when u are already wrong. In many ways, u sound like the chap i chastised in the other thread you pointed out.

Hey!May I know what's the answer for lifechanging's question?Can IMU students work in Singapore?thank you!