MBA:with a 3 year undergrad degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ckv34l

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am an undergrad psych major and will finish my degree next July. By this time I will have attented 3 years of college and take the GRE. I work as a Pharmacy Tech in Walgreens. I have no business experience. I am planning to go to pharmacy school next year, but incase I dont get in next year, I will reapply the following year. So incase I have to wait a whole year, I was planning on doing an MBA. Do you think this is smart/dumb/I wont even get in? What do you think I should do. Should I stay an extra year in Loyola and pick up a minor in business and bioethics----that is something I can do. I dont know what to do next year if I dont get in......can you guys please post your comments and suggestions. Thanks.
Kevin

Members don't see this ad.

You're not going to find many programs that will let you complete an MBA in only one year. Beyond that, without business experience, you will not be accepted into any one year MBA programs. I think you ought to pursue other opportunities for your glide year, but not necessarily picking up a minor; look into business internships (if you have a strong business interest), pharamaceutical research programs, post-bac programs to strenghthen your pharm app, or other opportunities that will help you develop leadership and critical thinking skills.

agreed...get some good business experience otherwise you won't get much out of the mba.

I am getting my MBA at the Sam Walton Graduate College of Business of the University of Arkansas. I had prior work experience before entering the program, but not business-related work. A lot of my classmates came straight from undergrad with only minor experience (internships mostly). If you have a good GMAT score, good grades, and can clearly convey to the admissions committee the reason why you want to pursue an MBA, I don't see why you couldn't get in.

Arkansas might not have the cachet of other institutions, but the program is excellent. It is very intensive (I am taking 17 hours of graduate credit this semester), but feasible even without any business background. The school does a great job at preparing you for the work force and bring in awesome speakers 2-3 times/month. Lots of money here, thank you Sam Walton (founder of Wal-Mart)! More than half the class has a graduate assistantship which covers tuition (out-of-state or in-state) and a monthly stipend. Overall, I figured my degree will cost me just a little over $1000 because of the fees that are not covered and books.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you'd like to find out more. We'd love to have you check out our program.

ckv34l said:
Hi everyone. I am an undergrad psych major and will finish my degree next July. By this time I will have attented 3 years of college and take the GRE. I work as a Pharmacy Tech in Walgreens. I have no business experience. I am planning to go to pharmacy school next year, but incase I dont get in next year, I will reapply the following year. So incase I have to wait a whole year, I was planning on doing an MBA. Do you think this is smart/dumb/I wont even get in? What do you think I should do. Should I stay an extra year in Loyola and pick up a minor in business and bioethics----that is something I can do. I dont know what to do next year if I dont get in......can you guys please post your comments and suggestions. Thanks.
Kevin