MBA Concentrations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mward04

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Partner Organization
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started my MBA last month at a non-healthcare focused business school and I am trying to decide what to concentrate in, if I should at all. There are several areas that are appealing to me:
  • Organization & Management
  • Information Technology
  • Leadership

What are other people majoring in and how are you using it with your MD?

Members don't see this ad.

I am getting a concentration in health care management. I feel this will help with administrative "red tape" and give me an understanding of how hospital setting works adminstratively as well as insight on healthcare policy.

So far so good. Granted I need only 4 classes for my concentration. I was going to do finance, but I really liked the fact that I had the option of taking classes with a MPA program for the healthcare option. As for needing a concentration, most programs are pretty well rounded having a focus on management/leadership/finance from what I saw in the programs in my area.

mward04 said:
I just started my MBA last month at a non-healthcare focused business school and I am trying to decide what to concentrate in, if I should at all. There are several areas that are appealing to me:
  • Organization & Management
  • Information Technology
  • Leadership

What are other people majoring in and how are you using it with your MD?

I guess it depends on what you want to focus on with your combined degree. If you want to be more of a hospital administrator, then the Organization and Management emphasis would be key since it focuses on strategy, streamlining organizations, organizational behavior, management. If it includes an Operations class, be sure to take that since like production, medicine can be broken down to algorithmic logic.

If you want to be more of the innovator, then the IT route would be ideal. Our med school has MD/MBAs with IT emphasis and their the equivalent of the department CTOs and make all the cool decisions about digitizing medical records, incorporating new technology, new software etc. If you like toys and gadgets, that's a fair option.

Just my 2 cents....my school offers the Healthcare/IT focus, so I'm going that route with a couple extra marketing/strategy classes (think medical software/hardware startup).