Mayo (MN) vs Columbia P&S

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoHar

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Firstly, thank you all for taking the time to read and respond to this thread. I appreciate any and all advice that I can get.

I will preface this by saying that I have already recieved financial aid info from Mayo and am waiting to hear back from Columbia. I will try to update this thread when I do hear back to give more perspective.

Mayo:
1. small class size (I think 54 this year)= rediculous student:faculty ratio. Also all of the things that come with that i.e closer relationships with professors, more intimate classrooms, more Aid.
2. Unique curriculum (science of health care delivery and selective opportunities scattered throughout first and second year)
3. Can do rotations associated with 3 campuses (Arizona, Minnesota, Florida)
4. Associated with best hospital according to USNWR. Can make great connections for residency.
5. Will most likely graduate with less debt (TBD pending Columbia Aid package).
6. Ranking according to USNWR (tied for 6). I honestly dont care about this, but it is probably worth noting that Mayo students tend to do slightly better on both Step 1 and Step 2.
7. Cheaper cost of living (could probably bring my pup with me).

Columbia:
1. Ivy League and everything that comes with that endowments, prestige, etc
2. Pretty much perfect location: just outside of downtown Manhattan (20 min train) giving some breathing room from the craziness that is NYC.
3. 18 month preclinical curriculum followed by immersive clincal experience. I really like the idea of the MCY and would love to hear someone elaborate it.
4. High residency director rating (4.5). I have also heard that residencys like Columbia grads because of the generally poor ancillary services at most NYC hospitals. This means that med students end up doing a lot more work and are very well trained when entering residency.
5. P&S club. This is probably the most talked about thing with Columbia. I think it is pretty unique and cool but it is not really a deal breaker for me. I do think it is awesome that it exists and that students have such a crazy range of extra-curriculars to get involved with
6. Not only a medical school. There are also graduate and undergraduate students around studying a variety of different topics. This could be refreshing rather than just being in a medical environment 24/7

Both are very far from home for me, both have a research requirement (Mayo's is generally more clinical in nature vs Columbia where you can basically do anything), both have very high step 1 and step 2 averages. I am pretty much torn right down the middle with this decision and have gone back and forth in my head a million times. I don't want to make a decision until I can get more advice from you brilliant peeps. I will try to add to these lists as I think of stuff, but I just wanted to get the ball rolling.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to help me out!

JoHar

Members don't see this ad.