Mayo Clinic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abords

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been fortunate to interview at most of the "top programs." Interestingly, of all of the places that I have been able to go to, the one I have found most appealing is the Mayo Clinic (followed very closely by Hopkins). Can anyone tell me what they have heard about this program and how it stands up to other top notch places. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed there. Amazing program with amazing faculties. The program director, Dr. Rose, is a top-notch fella who cares about his residents. The scutwork in anesthesia is generally low, but at Mayo, it's almost non-existent for residents. Just push a button and the anesthesia techs come running. You want to be published but do not want to put in the time? Just come up with with something and their research department will basically do all the dirty work for you. Since the program has been around a while, contacts are available far and wide. The only state where they don't have an alumni of the program is freaking South Carolina. There really isn't any weaknesses, save for maybe OB; you get to go down to Wake Forest for that. Additionally, they'll pay for you to go down to the satellite clinics in Scottsdale and Jacksonville for a few months. What could beat that? The New York programs, the Boston programs, the California programs aint' got nuthin' on Mayo. The only negative is the location. Brrrrrr......

other programs ain't got nuthin' on mayo??? who are you kidding?

your arguments for mayo being great:
1) pushing a button and anesthesia techs come a-running
2) get published without doing any work
3) you do OB at another institution
4) they pay for trips to warmer climates for rotations

wow... that sounds like an amazing program, and i am sure that Dr. Rose would agree that those are his top selling points too.

I am just curious, sandpaper... Are you a current anesthesia resident there, or are your comments based on one day of interviews (which everybody knows, regardless of the program, is basically propaganda/brainwashing)?

Dude, chill. Don't get your panties up in a bunch. Assuming all the top-notch programs offer equally strong teaching, research, and career opportunities, how do you differentiate them from one another? By the way they treat their residents. Cush baby.

And who gives a rat's ass about where one does OB, are the pregnant gals in New York different from the ones in Boston? I'm single, a Taurus, like movies, moonlit stroll by the beach, and I love to travel. Heheh. And what the hell's wrong with being published without doing the dirty leg work? You want scutwork? Good for you, as if working like a dog makes you a better resident.

And yes, those were Dr. Rose's selling points. I was happy to buy it, hook, line, and sinker. :D