maximum number of prelims allowed in lifetime

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mas7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been told my a friend who's a research fellow (IMG) at Cleveland Clinic OH that a person can do a maximum of 2 prelims in a lifetime. If you fail to get a categorical spot after doing 2 prelims you cannot do one more and leave residency. Is this a J1 visa issue or a policy of ACGME?
If someone could shed some light on the issue it'll be highly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

For surgery you are not eligible to sit for boards if you go to more than 3 institutions.

I have been told my a friend who's a research fellow (IMG) at Cleveland Clinic OH that a person can do a maximum of 2 prelims in a lifetime. If you fail to get a categorical spot after doing 2 prelims you cannot do one more and leave residency. Is this a J1 visa issue or a policy of ACGME?
If someone could shed some light on the issue it'll be highly appreciated.

I'm pretty sure it's ACGME -- programs making interns prove themselves as interns for multiple years and then still not give them a categorical spot was deemed potentially abusive.

As a current new GS prelim, this is a little terrifying. However, I have met many residents and even attendings who had to do 1-2 yrs of GS prelim before getting a categorical spot.