Matching IR without IR research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cybermed2424

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
How difficult would it be to match IR without IR specific research? I have pubs in another surgical subspec, but nothing in radiology or IR. Should be getting some rads research in soon, but probably just diagnostic. Am competitive otherwise (250s, mostly honors).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
As long as you have research you should be good. Just make sure to do an AI at your home rotation and try to do an away. I would get at least 1 IR letter from your home program and maybe a DR letter as well.

As long as you have research you should be good. Just make sure to do an AI at your home rotation and try to do an away. I would get at least 1 IR letter from your home program and maybe a DR letter as well.
Ideal to have VIR research, but surgical specialty research is still good as you may be seen as someone who found the specialty later. Even a case report on interventional, educational exhibit etc are things that you can submit to one of many national VIR meetings (GEST, SIR, ISET, SIO, etc).

Other things to focus on is SIR MSC involvement, Running or being involved in your schools interventional interest group, being involved in running a regional/national symposium, networking at the various virtual VIR meetings online.

Reactions: 1 user