Master of Science in Precision Medicine at AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mutiethemailman

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have recently been accepted to AZCOM and noticed that they have a Master of Science in Precision Medicine.

Are there any AZCOM students/alumni who have experience with this program? Will this program (or master's program in general) help my CV stand out when applying to residency programs? Or should I focus on doing research/writing case reports? I am interested in becoming a general surgeon. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

That seems more along the lines of genetic medicine, I don't think that would help a general surgery application

Reactions: 1 user
These additional degrees are helpful if and only if you know what you’re going to do with it. As a surgeon, unless you have a very specific goal where you think you’ll use the skills you gain, it likely won’t be useful and it won’t enhance your application

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me turn the tables here. Congratulations on getting accepted. What were the selling points? How did this fit with your overall goals and vision as a future physician?

Will this program (or master's program in general) help my CV stand out when applying to residency programs? Or should I focus on doing research/writing case reports? I am interested in becoming a general surgeon. Thank you!
The scope of this degree appears to have little (if any) overlap with surgery.

I asked this question when I was accepted and the consensus was that it wasn't going to be helpful.

As an M2 now, I can say I'm glad I didn't bother. The exam load at AZCOM is really heavy (1-3 per week, 4 during finals weeks). Your non-studying time is better used in doing research, ECs you're interested in or are geared towards surgery, or simply having friends and hobbies outside school.

If you're at all similar to me, the masters add-on would just become something you're resentful of as "one more thing to do" :shrug:

Reactions: 5 users
I could understand doing an MBA dual degree if you wanted to run your own practice or an MPH if you wanted to work in public health. But yeah research and just doing well in school will help your application more than anything

Reactions: 1 users
I could understand doing an MBA dual degree if you wanted to run your own practice or an MPH if you wanted to work in public health. But yeah research and just doing well in school will help your application more than anything
Most people running small businesses don't have an MBA. After talking to a few people who run businesses, most tell me the one thing you should definitely learn is accounting. You can do a couple of classes from your community College

I've also heard older physicians that went solo that they recommend doing PP in a group for 3 years to learn the business and then move on your own