This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the_Ancient_Mariner

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So happy to have two great choices, but that has made this decision difficult. The two biggest factors for me were being able to match competitively (I'm currently interested especially in ophtho) and the financial aid / cost. I haven't been able to discern a difference in either of these two factors, so I am hoping you all could help!

Maryland
Pros
  • Slightly ranked higher than WF, but I don't know how much a 16 place difference really matters. I don't know if there is any prestige difference that could affect residency matching.
  • Known for doing a lot of research, but it's difficult to see what work is being done in the areas I'm interested in.
  • This is my in-state school, so I would be close to family and some friends.
  • I think I prefer this location to Winston-Salem because of its proximity to other cool locations. Also I wonder if I will have a greater exposure to interesting cases being in a large metropolitan area.
  • With in-state tuition and perhaps living at home, this would be relatively affordable. Still don't have financial aid figures from the school though.
  • Matched an average of 3 people in ophtho and 2.17 people in derm over the last six years.

Cons
  • It seems like their administration is pretty disorganized. The second look day was really disappointing compared to WF's and they have had issues with the financial aid that other schools have not had.
  • My worry would be that there is less infrastructure at Maryland for career guidance and support in matching competitively.
  • Baltimore isn't my favorite city; the location bonus comes more from being close to DC, etc.
  • The buildings seem kind of old whereas WF is very modern.
  • Would be far from my partner.

Wake Forest
Pros
  • Gave me a half-ride that makes the cost almost the same as UM. Makes it so hard because one of my biggest factors is the same for both!
  • Every student I've talked to has emphasized the supportive community and friendly demeanor of other students. That said, UM students have also emphasized a nice "vibe" among the students.
  • Would be in the same city as my partner, but they are applying to med school this upcoming cycle so the guarantee is only for a year.
  • The area that it is in is quite nice: coffee shops galore. The school itself is also nicely renovated and looks sleek.
  • Between an amazing second look weekend and the scholarships, I wonder if the administration is more supportive of its students and if this could help with matching.
  • Matched an average of 2.33 people in ophtho and 3 people in derm over the last six years.

Cons
  • Ranked a little bit worse than UM; not sure if this matters though.
  • When I tried to find the research for derm, it felt like there was no active projects at all. I might be missing some stuff, but it seems like research may be slightly weaker overall.
  • The location is a bit boring, and a lot of people also match in North Carolina. I would rather not spend that long in NC.
  • Would be far away from family.

Summary: Both UM and WF match about the same number of people in the competitive specialities that I am in and they will cost me about the same, but UM seems to have stronger research and better location while WF has better administration and atmosphere.

Members don't see this ad.

Research is NOT a problem at WF. Close friend goes to WF right now and they send you research to apply for during your first year and it’s almost guaranteed to get something. Regarding derm, I don’t know if it’ll be insanely hard, but I do know the staff there is VERY friendly. They will help you with whatever speciality you need. Someone switched to a competitive speciality 6 months before ERAS came out and the professors there helped him get research and placed his name on a couple publications in that speciality.

Like someone emphasized before, the staff and students there really do want to help one another out and if you need to miss mandatory things for personal reasons they work with you and give you no problem at all. The cohort doesn’t scream gunner even though people match at top programs.

Also if your partner wants to go to WF, I know they have an ED program and if they have a 3.2GPA/502 MCAT minimum, WF will extend an interview to them. I’d see if they could set up a meeting with admissions to discuss if they are interested.

Maryland is a good school too, i know an MD/PHD student there and they love it.

Honestly you couldn’t go wrong with either.

I’m graduating from Wake next month and matched ophtho, so feel free to message me for more info. I have loved Wake and couldn’t be happier with my decision. Amazing school, fantastic culture, and very good resources. With that said, our ophtho department is not great with research, and undoubtedly that was a reason we only went 3/5 for ophtho matches this year. Conversely, we went 4/4 for derm, so research can be department-dependent.

With that said, both Wake’s ophtho and derm programs far outrank U of Maryland’s, so that should put your “prestige” concerns to rest. Speaking from experience, I definitely received some ophtho interviews because of Wake’s name. Both programs are great, but if the cost is equal and your SO is in Winston-Salem, I would confidently choose Wake. Being close to your family would be nice in Maryland, but it is not my personal priority.

Congrats on your acceptances. Both schools are great, and you are fortunate to be able to attend either of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
With that said, our ophtho department is not great with research, and undoubtedly that was a reason we only went 3/5 for ophtho matches this year. Conversely, we went 4/4 for derm, so research can be department-dependent.

With that said, both Wake’s ophtho and derm programs far outrank U of Maryland’s, so that should put your “prestige” concerns to rest. Speaking from experience, I definitely received some ophtho interviews because of Wake’s name.

Thank you so much for this information! The difference in match for ophtho and derm is good to know, even if I’m not sure what to make of it.

How can I check the rankings of the residency programs? When I try to find them for the ophtho program, I don’t see UM or WF listed here. I’m not sure where to look for that info. Thanks again!

Thank you so much for this information! The difference in match for ophtho and derm is good to know, even if I’m not sure what to make of it.

How can I check the rankings of the residency programs? When I try to find them for the ophtho program, I don’t see UM or WF listed here. I’m not sure where to look for that info. Thanks again!

Doximity does all the residency program rankings, however, much like med school and undergrad rankings, it’s all pretty subjective/arbitrary. You get free access to doximity as a med student.