Marquette Vs Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalgirl967

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
Congrats to all who have been accepted to dental school this cycle! I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice

I've narrowed by decision down to 2 schools: Marquette and Tufts. There are obviously pros and cons to both but I was just wondering if you guys could give me your thoughts? I like Marquette because it's a smaller class size (100) and they really push students to start their clinicals very early (within their first few weeks as a D1). Marquette has grown to be such a great and respected school through out the years.

However, Tufts is equally, if not more reputable as dental school. They offer a great clinical education and all students that go there seem to be really happy. Plus, their class is very diverse. Boston would be a new city for me to explore, which is a huge plus for me, except the fact that it's super expensive. What I don't like about Tufts is their class size- 220- I think. It's double that of Marquette's.

Anyway, I am curious to hear what you guys think!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!
Congrats to all who have been accepted to dental school this cycle! I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice

I've narrowed by decision down to 2 schools: Marquette and Tufts. There are obviously pros and cons to both but I was just wondering if you guys could give me your thoughts? I like Marquette because it's a smaller class size (100) and they really push students to start their clinicals very early (within their first few weeks as a D1). Marquette has grown to be such a great and respected school through out the years.

However, Tufts is equally, if not more reputable as dental school. They offer a great clinical education and all students that go there seem to be really happy. Plus, their class is very diverse. Boston would be a new city for me to explore, which is a huge plus for me, except the fact that it's super expensive. What I don't like about Tufts is their class size- 220- I think. It's double that of Marquette's.

Anyway, I am curious to hear what you guys think!

How much is the tuition for each? I am curious as to what people will reply with. I am in a similar situation on choosing between 2 dental schools. I was accepted to Tufts and my state school, IU and I desperately need help on what to factor into my choice.

Pretty sure you would end up $100,000 to $150,000 more in debt at Tufts if your OOS for both. Recall that Tufts is in downtown Boston, the cost of living will be extremely high, as well as food costs. Marquette is in Milwaukee and you can find apartments from $400-$500 a month - I have lived in Wisconsin my whole life and their quoted cost of living is probably double what you need to pay to live here. I would go with Marquette if I were in your shoes. I think both are respectable schools, but economically you will be way farther ahead going that route.

Reactions: 1 user
Pretty sure you would end up $100,000 to $150,000 more in debt at Tufts if your OOS for both. Recall that Tufts is in downtown Boston, the cost of living will be extremely high, as well as food costs. Marquette is in Milwaukee and you can find apartments from $400-$500 a month - I have lived in Wisconsin my whole life and their quoted cost of living is probably double what you need to pay to live here. I would go with Marquette if I were in your shoes. I think both are respectable schools, but economically you will be way farther ahead going that route.

Yeah you're right...money is a big issue for me. But so is diversity, and the fact that Tufts is in the city has its benefits...

Members don't see this ad :)
How much is the tuition for each? I am curious as to what people will reply with. I am in a similar situation on choosing between 2 dental schools. I was accepted to Tufts and my state school, IU and I desperately need help on what to factor into my choice.
I think it depends on the experience you're looking for...I think i'm looking for more of a city-life experience, because I also went to undergrad in the city. I just know if I choose Marquette I would be happy, but I would regret not being able to live in the city. Plus Tufts is a very reputable school and networking is huge there

I'd say Marquette. It'll be better financially as the school is cheaper and the cost of living in Milwaukee is cheaper. I have a few friends that attend there and they don't seem to have any complaints

I think it depends on the experience you're looking for...I think i'm looking for more of a city-life experience, because I also went to undergrad in the city. I just know if I choose Marquette I would be happy, but I would regret not being able to live in the city. Plus Tufts is a very reputable school and networking is huge there

I would argue in this case that Marquette is more diverse as far as patients go. Possibly not class - but you can look at the demographics on the AADSAS book. The area marwuette is in receives a massive amount of diversity. Additionally, Milwaukee is a large city but not as large as Boston. I guess it comes down to if being in a big city is worth $150,000. You could go to Marquette and buy a decent home and still be in less debt that going to tufts. I think it would be beneficial for you to go on Dental Town and read how many new grads are realizing that they took way to much in debt and are freaking out about how to pay it back.

I’m in the same situation as you - deciding between Marquette and Colorado (which are only around a 50k difference).

I was leaning more heavily towards Tufts because I want the experience of living in a city like Boston, but my state school just offered me a full tuition scholarship. Now I don’t know what to do Tufts offered me $50K, but that till means I have $65K to pay for each of the 4 years

I was leaning more heavily towards Tufts because I want the experience of living in a city like Boston, but my state school just offered me a full tuition scholarship. Now I don’t know what to do Tufts offered me $50K, but that till means I have $65K to pay for each of the 4 years

My friend, please take the full ride scholarship. I guarantee you that you won't regret it. You don't want to make the decision to go to Tufts and then realize the city life isn't all that great and then also be in a whole bunch of debt.

Reactions: 1 user