Marquette vs Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfline

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I only have enough money for one or the other. Which school provides superior externships, research, and opportunity for specialization?

Stats: 23AA, 3.8 GPA
Residency: OOS (east coast).

Members don't see this ad.

I would apply to Marquette, they have 50 spots in the class for OOS students, their school is beautiful, research is more low key there but they focus on clinical excellence - they have great externships around Wisconsin and a strong alumni community.
I don't know much about Maryland but I can't imagine that they interview as many OOS ppl because they are public.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
8 other schools (too broke to apply to more).
do you have a strong app in terms of experiences/volunteering etc?
Are all your schools super elite or also some that you like that have lower stats? (some you'd be most certainly likely to get in?)

do you have a strong app in terms of experiences/volunteering etc?
Are all your schools super elite or also some that you like that have lower stats? (some you'd be most certainly likely to get in?)
Strong volunteer experiences.
mostly "super elite" schools.
I also have my state school and midwestern AZ.

Also contemplating: Nova

I'd say that's a pretty good mix. I mean you got a pretty strong app from what I see. I think the number of schools is good...you can always ad 2-3 more if you feel like you could be more comfortable

Probably too late, but Maryland has ~130 seats: 70 for IS, 60 OOS. The past few classes were closer to 134. As an OOS who interviews you have a stronger chance of getting accepted than the percent of IS who interview. Mainly because "early round" IS decide to attend versus OOS going to their state school or another one

I would apply to Marquette, they have 50 spots in the class for OOS students, their school is beautiful, research is more low key there but they focus on clinical excellence - they have great externships around Wisconsin and a strong alumni community.
I don't know much about Maryland but I can't imagine that they interview as many OOS ppl because they are public.
^This

Everyone seems to be enjoying themselves. There is a great sense of culture within the school among students, and both staff and students. They realize that while dental school is a stressful and serious place to be, it can and should also be fun.

you will find that other schools do not believe dental school should be fun, or do not know even if their students like the school or curriculum.

Marquette will also be cheaper by atlas 10k a year. So that is something to consider. There is also a lot to do in Milwaukee at an affordable price.

Reactions: 1 user