MANY residency questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IPODiatrist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how/where I can find out depending on what school you go to what kind of residency program you end up in?

Also additionally, if there isn't a site where I can find this info, maybe the pod students who more well versed in these matters can help me with the following questions:

Do some pod grads not go into residency period? (from the "lower" end schools)

Also, how hard is it for pod grads to get a residency in Texas? (its a 3 yr surgery residency here)

Which states end up being the most sought after or in other words have the best residency program?

Are all residency programs now surgery based? If not, how do they vary?

Much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how/where I can find out depending on what school you go to what kind of residency program you end up in?

Also additionally, if there isn't a site where I can find this info, maybe the pod students who more well versed in these matters can help me with the following questions:

Do some pod grads not go into residency period? (from the "lower" end schools)

Also, how hard is it for pod grads to get a residency in Texas? (its a 3 yr surgery residency here)

Which states end up being the most sought after or in other words have the best residency program?

Are all residency programs now surgery based? If not, how do they vary?

Much appreciated!

1) Almost all residencies are open to all students from all colleges. While there maybe traditions at residencies they are not tied to one school. Not matter how one ranks the schools.

2) Some pods many not go into residency if they cannot pass the boards. This would be the only limitation presently. In the past, there were more students than programs. But today this is not the case. There will be some students that will not get a PM&S 36 b/c there are more students than PM&S 35 spots starting next year.

3) I don't know which residency are you talking about in Texas b/c there a few of them. But if any student works hard, they can get any program.

4) There are states that have a lot of good programs such as TX, PA, and CA. But there is no superior state. Some of the best programs are the only ones in the state.

5) All programs are based in general podiatric and surgery. A PM&S 36 allows a pod to sit for the FF, RF, and ankle board certification. A PM&S 24 only allows a pod to sit for the FF certification. (This is according to the American Board of Podiatric Surgeons.)