manipal OMFS graduates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

richa sharma

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
i have a frnd with a MDS degree in OMFS from manipal..I just wanted to know as to how can he get into practise over here..Are there any schools which recognise Manipal degrees?....Pls help..
richa

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure where Manipal is or what an MDS degree is.

To practice as an oral & maxillofacial surgeon in the US you have to have a US dental license. To get a license you have to graduate from a US or Canadian dental school. It seems most people in your friend's situation do the 3rd and 4th years of dental school in a US school to get their dental degree. Then he can do whatever he wants, although he may have trouble getting an anesthesia permit without completing an accredited US OMFS program. But I also know that anesthesia is not a component of some non-US OMFS training, while it is a huge part of US training.

hi,thanxs.....and yes, manipal is in India,...And MDS means..MAsters in dental Surgery...

If anyone else has any info pls let me know...cause i have been told tht Manipal is affiliated to some Univ. here in US....and maybe graduates frm there can appear for the licensure exam straight away...is tht so??.
regards
richa